• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: Scandinavia & Snorri Touren

In all seriousness... there's a possibility that the cost of this replacement could be in the same league as Voletarium, which was their biggest investment ever.

A ride on the scale of Piraten is NOT cheap.

Maybe it'll be a modern take on the old ride a la Pirates of the Caribbean in Shanghai Disney?

I doubt they would just rip off Shanghai Disney (the cost), but I certainly would hope that they would do a newer, better version of the classic PiB.

I'd love to see them modernise it in some way or another. They might as well, especially if they were already planning to make some improvements and adjustments before the fire happened. They've got a blank canvas now which they can do anything they like with, and I trust them to take advantage of this to give Piraten in Batavia a worthy successor. :)

Piraten in Batavia's queue line and station was all very, very well themed. The soundtrack, use of smell pots and lightning was also superb. What let the ride down for me was:

- Animatronic quality
- The ride was too open (apart from the beginning, which was enclosed and great)
- Only one drop at the start, rather than building up to escaping the fire scene

The throughput was awesome, though. I mean - I once waited out the entrance and it was barely 15 minutes!

As I've said before in this thread, I have every confidence that EP's replacement for Piraten will be a success, and will be excellently themed. Others have said - and I agree - that whilst Piraten may not have been the best ride overall, it was so well-themed, especially for a ride of its age. I'll admit I didn't like it at first, but it really grew on me, and I'm gutted to see it be destroyed in this way. I look forward to seeing its replacement with great interest.

The throughput was awesome, though. I mean - I once waited out the entrance and it was barely 15 minutes!

These Mack free flow boat rides, can certainly eat up crowds. The fact the boats have no restraint systems make for much simpler operation. Even Drayton's model would eat up the ques when they had all the boats running, was pushing well over 1000pph back in it's heyday. More than likely well over 1500pph on great days, at Drayton Manor of all places!! Testament to Mack engineering more so than park operations on this specific ride model.

Interestingly, I can't seem to find this boat ride model on the Mack website anymore. However they do appear in the Mack catalogue and are known as 'Free flow boat rides' for anyone that is interested.

I am sure a worthy replacement will take it's place. I so so hope for another Pirate and water based attraction though. I love these rides. Such a great combination. I will be keeping a keen eye on this project with great anticipation.

Last edited:
Pirates In Batavia May have not been the greatest or most upto date attraction, but it was still an astounding attraction.

It offered do the park, it offered not only an upbeat attraction for guests of all ages but a showcase of some of the great dark rides Mack can create amongst complimenting the park and the surrounding areas.

It may have been over 30 years old and starting to look dated in parts (the jungle comes to mind), however given it’s age the attraction was generally very well kept. It was certainly in a better state then some other dark rides that are only several years old, that’s for sure.

As for the replacement, it sounds hopeful and likely this will be a newer updated Pirates themed dark ride. Ideally using modern technology, but still utilising many animatronics and references to it’s predecessor. If the cost equalled or surpassed Volitarium, it would be worth it certainly.

As for the cause somewhat looking down to the rapids, this surprises me and makes me wonder whether not only Fjord’s planned reopening has been cancelled. We shall see, but slightly surprising as I thought it was more related to the warehouse.

The following photos have been posted to a Europa-Park annual passholders Facebook group; it looks like Fjord Rafting will be opening again very soon:

34775034_1729960763708337_348769537916665856_n.jpg

34606720_1729960783708335_6990799782436405248_n.jpg

34688030_1729960850374995_1356095774357716992_n.jpg

34699475_1729960943708319_6139597535645270016_n.jpg

You've got to love German efficiency, the channel looks as good as new following the clean up work!

:)

I'm glad to hear the Piraten in Batavia space will still be inhabited by a themed dark ride and I'm unsurprised that the Macks are sticking to Piraten considering its beloved status. I rather hope they do away with the moments that appeared to be taken from Pirates of the Caribbean and make it more unique than just 'pirates invade Jakarta'.

(Though, and here I go on a slight ramble, I do wonder if Ulrich Damrau ever rode Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland or Magic Kingdom. Obviously Roland and Franz Mack were when they travelled around the States in the 1970s but, as Damrau designed Piraten in Batavia and it's been regarded as a PotC rip-off for some time now, I'm intrigued as to whether Damrau intended for some scenes to be very similar/almost exact to those in PotC or it was just a coincidence.)

I say they should licence the rights to Monkey Island. After all, it was inspired by riding PotC... and in turn inspired elements of the films.
..... Only slight problem with that is that Disney now own the rights to is since they bought Lucas Film. :(

Having returned from the park this week, I can't help but commend the atmosphere on park. To see how many people are working not only on Fjord, but around Scandinavia ON TOP of all of the other park staff and their maintenance.

It is stunning. Maybe German efficiency at it's finest. I believe it more to be a park proud of what they can achieve.

I look forward to what the future holds for Pirates, and my inevitable next trip!

I would not be surprised if the reinstated Piraten continues to ape the Disney rides. Whilst I sincerely hope EP strike out on their own, their track record suggests plagiarism is on the cards (see Geisterschloss, Voletarium etc). For me, copying these great rides only draws comparisons. On their own they’re decent, but they’re not going to top the originals.

Hopefully we’ll see something more unique. Rides like Arthur demonstrate it can be done and turn out superbly.

I’d love it if Mack took the opportunity to prototype a new boat design which like the Shanghi Pirates can rotate to face scenes. I doubt they will as it would prolong the rides reopening and I belive Disney patented their design. But I’d love to see this technology become an affordable option for other parks, and where better for Mack to experiment than the site of a former boat ride.

They simply understand that investment to create the best product possible helps to generate even more profits. No devaluing of the product with silly offers, ensuring that more guests come to the park year on year, therefore generating more in park spends year on year.

They are unique. Their response to this tragedy has also been unique.

:)

Helps that they only have to create a profit for a relatively small number of family members, allows more to be reinvested rather than filling the pockets of faceless shareholders.