• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura from Barcelona - Advice please

Ollie

TS Member
Hi guys and girls,

I will only be looking for a short break in PortAventura, and was wondering if anybody knew if it was easy to get to PortAventura from Barcelona (El Prat) Airport? Any ideas regarding transport?

Thanks, and any other tips would be appreciated also!

You can either take a bus from one of the terminals (Terminal 1 I think) which will take you straight to the park. I'm not too sure on the details but it'll cost around 30€ for a return.

OR you can do it by train (which is what I did) and whilst there's more changes it's about half the cost of the bus. (And more regular as far as I know.)

1. Take the rail service from Terminal 2 to Barcelona Sants station. (About 15 minutes and around 3-4€ return.)

2. At Barcelona-Sants you can buy a ticket to PortAventura station for around 15€ return. Spain has three types of rail transport, long-distance, medium-distance and short-distance. I believe you're looking for a medium-distance train which will terminate at Tortosa.

3. PortAventura station is pretty small and about a 20 minute walk away from the park gates/hotel resort. When you get there, make sure you make a note when trains will take you back to Barcelona-Sants because they're less regular and not every train stops at PA station.

You can find out more information at http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html

Hope that's helped a bit and not too confusing, anything you're still unsure about let me know. I can't help you with the bus option much I'm afraid but I'd say getting the train is just as easy, cheaper and more comfortable. :)

To elaborate on what Mitch has said:

The train from Barcelona Sants does indeed terminate at Tortosa. It is the R16 operated by Rodalies de Catalunya/Renfe. Its route is here and it's worth noting that for anyone staying in Barcelona it also stops at Estació de França and Passeig de Gràcia. If you can find one (or ask for one) then pick up a timetable for the R16, as this will have all return train times from PA on it.

For those who are only going for a single day, there is a very good offer available from any train station in Catalunya/Catalonia which is €44 for the park ticket and single or return train travel to the park. This is the same price as a normal park ticket, so it's basically transport for free. Just ask at any ticket counter in your finest broken Spanish.

Don't do what I did and not research at all, which can result in a four and a half hour journey involving a metro, four trains and a taxi. Completely worth it though, for Shambhala alone. :D Have fun!