• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura Revisited

Rojo

TS Member
So after visiting PortAventura after my last visit 14 years ago I had a blast. Through good fortune I stumbled across a great time to visit and across some bargains that made my visit much better that I thought I would share with you guys :) There will be more updates shortly and pictures when I get chance.

I treated my partner to a trip to PortAventura for her birthday. Before anyone claims I am cruel, I have previously visited PA twice before so I sort of knew what I as getting us into regarding fast track (more on that later). Luckily we were able to arrive and leave before the school holidays started and had a major win when we realized the park was open 10:00 to 00:00, Ferrari Land was 10:30 to 20:00 and the water park was 10:30-19:00.

I booked through the PortAventura World website but first tried to price it better myself. However I couldn't get near the price they were offering and booking through the site I was able to select the park tickets, hotels, transfers, etc... which took the hassle out of everything. PortAventura World do offer monthly payments as well to make booking easier.

Hotel
After pain free flight and transfers, I opened my emails to find out what hotel we were staying at. I had decided I was going to stay at the cheapest hotel (El Paso), so for the same price I had opted for the Hotel Roulette option. I was expecting to get Hotel El Paso but won the lottery and got Hotel Caribe, result.

8KiVsBhoBiLzPbHc8

Hotel Caribe is obviously Caribbean based, with palm trees throughout the resort, bar huts, a small waterfall, a beach and they sell fanta lemon (but not Lilt.) The rooms are blocks of chalets that circle around a lake with a pool at one end and a small beach pool at the other. We had an upper floor room with a balcony that had a view across the beach with the towering Red Force in the background. The rooms are pretty standard inside except for a few photo's of the Caribbean to remind you that you are in a tropical paradise. The beds are 2 singles pushed together which slide apart with the slightest movement in a 3 mile vicinity and a sofa bed is also included. There is a bar, restaurant, small shop and wellness center/Spa on site.

Disappointingly the Caribe water park is not next to the hotel as I had expected from the naming but at least we had the beach pool and bar to lounge at. The hotel is the furthest away from the park but there are regular land trains running between the two and also a train that runs through to Salou. These ran up until 00:30 to account for the extended openings. Hotel Caribe iss only a 15 minute walk to the beach of Salou, so you have plenty of options for food or a day out away from PA.

The food and drink at the resort was good but not great, typical park food and prices. We didn't do the buffet but the prices looked OK, especially compared to Disney buffet prices. We had a great time on resort and got much better value for money than stopping in Salou and having to work out transfers buses or taxis. Being able to use the beach and pool all day whilst stumbling into the park in the evening was an amazing experience, just a few days after having to leave Alton Towers at 17:00.

Last edited:
Waterpark
As mentioned above the Caribe Aquatic Park is located by the park and not near the hotel. As we were there on my partners birthday I wanted to make it a bit special and went for the max option on fast track. This included getting;
  • entry to the water park for 2
  • 2 fastrack wristbands for the slides
  • Private booth with sun loungers, tables and chairs, a fridge, a fan, private locker, fruit, water and 2 bottles of cava.
With the hotel discount (which I had to ask for) the price was cheaper than regular entry and fast track for 2. To be honest it was worth it to not have to seek out sunbeds and shade alone.

The park features some small to medium slides which I think were all out of the pro-slides catalogue, a (very) lazy river, a wave pool based in the Bermuda triangle, an indoor pool with slides, a foam cannon, a woody woodpecker area and Sesamo Beach. There are also 2 big slides at the back of the park for the thrill seekers in the family.

The slides were all great fun and I'm not reviewing them all individually, but below are some honourable mentions...
Barracudas - 2 different coloured Proslides that require rubber dingies to ride, one is covered and the other is open. Both are at the same height and snake in and out of the tree lines. Both generate a lot of speed and you will slide up the walls on the bends but tamely pass the photo point just before the splash finish.

El Torrente - This an inflatable ride that the ops seem to batch in minimum of 3s, so be prepared to board with strangers if you are in a 2. Don't know if this is a permanent thing but the ops were splashing riders as they got in the boat and deliberately splashing over to the queueline below. I do wonder what old British H&S would make of soaking people on wooden stairs with no yellow sign within sight. On to the slide it's fun, fast, twists between the tree's like barracudas and you'll spend more time up the side walls of the slide. The boat does fold in on itself when this happens so don't get too close to others unless you enjoy a mosh pit. Unlike Barracudas the ride carries its speed into the splash pool and seems a bit more risky as to whether you will skim like a stone or dive like U571.

Ciclon Tropical - The undulating red waterslide that shares a tower with the King Khajuna. It's fast and bumpy sections offer a little relief from the constant water spray to the face but its great taster for the King Khajuna. I went on a similar one in Aquashow in Faro which was uncomfortable all the way down. Ciclon Tropical was much smoother and is great slide for those not quite ready to climb further up the tower.

King Khajuna - Straight out of the Merlin school of marketing, the King Khajuna is the jewel in the Caribe crown being Europes tallest free fall water slide at 102ft. The walk to the top past the Ciclon Tropical give great views across the resort and park, whilst ruining the secrets of the Wild West stunt show in the process. The tower also sways a little in the breeze at the top, not for the feint of hearted. Unlike the other slides you are not trusted to sit and push yourself down so you will be pushed down the 55 degree drop by the attendent by your head. What follows is a freefall atomic wedgie whilst being waterboarded all the way to the end. Wedgie aside it was actually great fun and more comfortable than expected.

As waterparks go its good but there are better out there. Most of the slides seem a bit similar and I think the park would benefit from something different like a Tornado, Flying Saucer or a Tornado Wave. It did seem uncomfortably packed at times so having the private area to retreat was a godsend. There is plenty to do for all ages but queuing and getting rubber rings for the lazy river can be a chore in the heat. There's nothing to really note food or drink wise a its mainly snack bars, drink outlets and slushy stalls. So we resorted to snacking and grabbing a meal at the park.

Last edited:
Ferrari Land
I wasn't sure what to expect with Ferrari Land as I hadn't really looked into this too much before hand. I thought there was only 3 attractions at the park; Red Force, Thrill Towers and the Flying Dreams. There was certainly much more to the park than I had anticipated.
For those with families there is now new family area for 2018 with some small flat rides, a mini drop tower and a new mini rollercoaster. The park is beautiful to walk around especially when you move from Venice to Rome to Marranello in just a few small steps. Even the flowers throughout the park are Ferrari Yellow and Red, no accident I'm sure. If any park had any justfication to look like a car park then maybe Ferrari Land has an excuse but they have done a wonderful job with the space they have and limited attractions, looking at you Disney Studios :p Anyway onto the attractions...

Fast Track at the park will cost you €20pp but with queuetimes like these

Who needs fast track?

Ferrari Experience - The Ferrari Experience is essentially 3 F1 cars from past decades, 2 F1 Steering wheels, a brief history of Enzo Ferrari on printed on the wall, a sculpture and a paid photo point in a Ferarri F1 car or a Ferrari 458. You would love this if you were a tifosi or a petrolhead in general. Reason to do this if you don't like Ferrari? It's air conditioned and a welcome relief from the gran sol rojo.

Grand Prix Marranello - Its like Grand Prix Blackpool but in tiny squeaky Ferrari's and less sun.

Racing Legends - This shares a queue with flying dreams and was a batching nightmare. I assume both are supposed to share the first pre-film with Enzo explaining what the Ferrari brand means. However we were held outside the preshow room and ushered straight through to another batching area, shown a film with Marc Gene, then made to queue for a final batching area and handed some 3D glasses. Despite the 10 minute queue it took us 35 minutes to get through the attraction. This was multiple Ferrari F1 cars with 8 seats (2x4) and the attraction itself is a 4D race simulator through various racing circuits worlwide and futuristic. Unfortunately it became clear our host couldn't count to ocho and there were empty seats in some cars and the more than 8 people trying to get in others. I hope this was the exception to rule and ops are not this bad when the park is busy, loco! We both agreed after riding that considering this was built in 2017 it is somehow as awful as Dino Escape 4D in PortAventura despite the age difference. Heck even Robocop in Granada studios better made than this. Seriously though, this should be soo much better than it is.

Flying Dreams - Like racing legends this has a pre-show with Enzo, which this time we got to watch, then more queuing and batching, a short film about the attraction and safety procedures with more queueing and batching, yay! We were split into sections for the lower and upper tiers of the attraction and to be consistent there was a counting failure. This left a family of four standing as everyone was ushered to take their seats, also not asking people to move down to the end and letting them sit where they wanted compounded the issues. Eventually a hero bigger than Zoro himself turned up and after some musical chairs he got the family seated together and sent the bad guys from where they came (The entrance). Presumably they were sent for torture through the batching process before being allowed back. Anyway back to Ferraritarium or Ferroarin'.... the attraction is a flying theatre where you fly with a Ferrari as point of interest through many picturesque places across Terra Firma. I can only compare it to Volitarium and I have to say it seems quite tame to the EP version and I only got the hint of fragrance at one point during the movie. Whereas with Volitarium I feel like I've been double slapped with magic trees. I'd happily ride it again especially if someone lets Mr Bean at the control panel.

Thrill Towers - Drop Towers, Urghh! As you might gather I am not a huge fan of drop towers and for some reason Ferrari Land decided a pair next to each other shaped like pistons would look wonderful in the shadow of Hurukan Condor. Both towers do offer wonderful views of the Costa Brava, PortAventura or both dependent on which side of the tower you sit. Although some areas of surrounding areas resemble Runcorn so not a complete win on the views. Unfortunately both towers also offer views of you hurtling towards tarmac at near terminal velocity. Fun! Both pistons like to do this in different ways. Caida libre likes to slowly take you to the top and slam you to the floor whereas rebote likes to shoot you to the top and bounce you down to the floor. There may or may not be a fakeout on one of these towers but I am not going to tell you which. All I can say for sure is that I screamed like a stuck pig all the way down on both.

Red Force
- 0-111 mph in 5 seconds and 367ft tall with the park map warning of rollbacks what's not to like? This ride towers above everything in the park with the exception of Hurakan Condor. I think there is remarkably few photos of my trip without this lurking somewhere in the background.
After spending 10 minutes or so watching off ride and trying to capture an impossible video from the paddock it was time to ride. The queue line was less than 10 minutes so I can't really comment on that but the station resembled a Ferrari pit wall and looked amazing. Shame that some idiots as always decided it would look better if they carved their name into the hard plastic on the way in. Our prancing horse arrived and we were put into the back of the lap barred Ferrari. After a slow rolling start the launch is incredible and delightfully smooth considering the speed. Before I can even comprehend what is happening we are approaching the apex of the top hat and looking across Saluncorn. Then before I can focus, I am hurtling face down at a car park and carrying soo much speed into the final bunny hop into the brakes before returning to the station. All within 30 seconds, wow! One final surprise lay in the reverse badger traps that is the restraints opening, keep limbs and head away from them.
Our second ride was on the front row, woohoo. Now I assume we have all seen the video of the guy given a bird a sonic heabutt on this ride? I also assume because of this we had to don some protective eye gear to ride front row and this wasn't weird italian theming, as they would've provided a leather hat and scarf. The eyeware lacked the ammonia smell I'd have expected so you might end up with some Ferrari red eyes later in the day. Anyway with visors attached, it was time for our second lap. I thought I would be ready for the launch this time round but it really caught me by surprise again. With an unrestricted view over the top I could really get a decent view across the coast, for all of one second before hurtling towards the brakes. On the way out I attempted to purchase proof of their insistence on lorgnettes to show my friends. Apparently the digital version is only available on USB and the physical copy does not include a digital copy, so I ended €16 lighter for a photo of myself looking like a dribbling idiot in safety goggles.
After 2 glass smooth rides it was time to test out the middle of the train. I don't know if it was a different train or a rogue headwind but the launch to the top hat was judderific. The drop into brakes was fine but that was enough to call it a day with Red Force.

It was time to make a quick food pit stop and catch a little bit of the acrobatic show, before doing a final look around the area. I was going to attempt to replace a wheel on the F1 car but the thought of doing anything that physical at high noon in 30 degrees heat put me off.

On reflection Ferrari Land is a great accompany park to PortAventura but it isn't really a park you would return to if you didn't have a family. You'd paying €15 to re-ride Red Force and possibly Flying dreams, if you could survive the endless batching.

Last edited:
Seems like you're having a great time so far! Great reports, also; I look forward to your report about the main park.

I always think that PortAventura looks stunning in photos and videos, so I can only imagine that it looks even more stunning in real life!

Thank you Matt, a great time was had. I'll try and get the main park report sorted soon. Indeed you are correct it's a beautiful place to be, hopefully you get to visit yourself in the near future :)

Thank you Matt, a great time was had. I'll try and get the main park report sorted soon. Indeed you are correct it's a beautiful place to be, hopefully you get to visit yourself in the near future :)
I hope so too! The park looks beautiful and Shambhala looks ace if Mako at SeaWorld is anything to go by!

Glad you're having a good time! I was really impressed with my last visit :cool:

Thank you @Altsy. Will be taking another look at your review once I've finished mine. Will be interesting read how we both saw things :)

Nice review. We went last Summer for the first time. I was absolutely crapping my trunks at the top of the King Khajuna waterslide. Never in my life have I been more terrified on a ride, and that includes first time buttock clenchers like Red Force, Furious Backache and Apocalypse. I don't know for sure if the top of that waterslide tower is higher than Stampida but it certainly appeared to be. Nice views of PA from up there, shame you can't take photos. They'd have been blurred anyway as my legs were like jelly. Proper scary!

Thank you @Dipper_Dave, glad you enjoyed it.

:D I'm glad I'm not the only one with knees knocking together at the top.

Yeah it's a great place to look across the park, When I was queueing for KK I considered taking my phone up for a photo and walking down back down. By the time I got down the queue was massive so I left it. It certainly was taller Stampida as Hurakan Condor was the only thing I could focus on without freaking out about looking down.

I hope the rest of your trip was good :)

Glad you're having a good time, opinions of the park seemed to be pretty mixed these days - glad you have found it to be fun.

Being able to use the beach and pool all day whilst stumbling into the park in the evening was an amazing experience, just a few days after having to leave Alton Towers at 17:00.
Please. It was 17:30, and you know it! ;)

Glad you had a good time. :)

Glad you're having a good time, opinions of the park seemed to be pretty mixed these days - glad you have found it to be fun.

Thank you Rick. I'm sure the opening hours and the gap between visits were key to my positive experience.

Please. It was 17:30, and you know it! ;)

Glad you had a good time. :)

You are correct it was there was an extra 30 minutes, thanks Towers :p

Thank you Burbs :)

I'm glad it was a great time! Am very curious if we rode the same Red Force?!
Was at PortAventura too last week as well, and I've been motivated to write up a trip report now. :D

I hope you had great time too and coped better with the heat than I did :cool:

Certainly do a report. You have me curious on how on your Red Force experience was. Maybe I over egged the pudding with the term "smooth" but I had been on Baco the night before ;)

Last edited:
I hope you had great time too and coped better with the heat than I did :cool:

Certainly do a report. You have me curious on how on your Red Force experience was. Maybe I over egged the pudding with the term "smooth" but I had been on Baco the night before ;)

Haha, did not at all! I'm pathetic when it comes to heat.

I think I'd have the same result of smashing a sack of glass shards into my skull as going on Red Force TBH! Baco isn't even the top 3 worst rides at PA! How on earth did you find it smooth?!

Ha, I did Temple de Fuego to cool down :p

The first 2 runs were good for me and the second run I was a bit excited to be wearing Goggles to notice anything else. The third run I did describe as 'judderific' and seems more in line with your experience. Maybe some trains are better than others or I just went in with low expectations initially?

I'll turn in my thoughts on Baco when I get round to writing the rest of my review :)

Still working on the final bits of this review but finally got around to grabbing my photo from red force from the USB stick.

Turns out Red Force turned me into a dribbling wreck. Got to wear goggles though :cool:

Are the goggles only for the front row? I didn't have to wear them in June but then I was about halfway down the train.