• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential Sega Joypolis theme park in the UK?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I just saw this very interesting item of news regarding Sega and their Joypolis theme parks. They have apparently expressed desire to build more Joypolis locations, and two places on their radar are the UK and North America. Where things get interesting, however, is that they are reportedly scouting for UK locations right now.

So could we possibly be getting a Sega Joypolis indoor theme park somewhere in the UK?

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sega-joypolis-theme-parks-could-be-coming-to-the-uk-and-us/

Certainly a very exciting possibility, if you ask me!

Literally every shopping mall has massive empty spaces where department stores have gone in the last few years, who knows where this indoor entertainment centre will go.

Troc Drop was awesome, quite an intense drop as I recall. In fact, the whole Sega World thing was good for a few hours.

Funny how the world is cyclical.

From the article...

Since the first Joypolis opened in Yokohama in 1994, a total of 11 Joypolis parks have been opened across Asia. However, only three of them remain – Tokyo, Shanghai and Qingdao

... doesn't appear to be a particularly successful concept, and the UK didn't have much time for one previously. With the vast improvements in home computing and VR since then it seems even less likely people would be willing to pay out for a similar experience at a park.

From the article...

Since the first Joypolis opened in Yokohama in 1994, a total of 11 Joypolis parks have been opened across Asia. However, only three of them remain – Tokyo, Shanghai and Qingdao

... doesn't appear to be a particularly successful concept, and the UK didn't have much time for one previously. With the vast improvements in home computing and VR since then it seems even less likely people would be willing to pay out for a similar experience at a park.

I'm not too sure. Recently in Leeds a pay one price arcade with multiple floors covering classic and new arcade machines with console gaming too was fairly popular when I visited. If there's enough stuff there that the average person can't get at home then there's an opening (or indeed if you can't afford the latest gaming stuff).

It would have to be attached to an existing retail or leisure centre though. Even if that didn't help Trocadero in the end.

Yeah there's a few places in Liverpool now with a similar aesthetic. Though these places are also making their money with the sale of alcohol. Not sure if these Sega places would be like that.

From the article...

Besides if people want arcade games, mini bowling and indoor dodgems, they can take a short walk from the Trocadero and head to Namco Funscape at County Hall - which is still going after all these years:

https://www.namcofunscape.com//london

I'm not too sure. Recently in Leeds a pay one price arcade with multiple floors covering classic and new arcade machines with console gaming too was fairly popular when I visited..

That'll be Arcade Club who have Leeds, Bury and they're looking at opening in Blackpool.

Planning a visit to their Bury site just for the retro gaming classics. Cant go wrong for an all day session for one price

Yup, been many times to Bury, I'm a pinball freak as well as a coaster freak.
Fantastic place, once you have found it in the mill complex!
The Blackpool one was all ready to go, then covid.

There was 1 in Birmingham also on Erdington high street. Last time I went up there it was now a gym above and other rental units below.
Gutted that in the 90’s my dad worked for the company who designed the uk sega parks and I had the layouts and concept art.

There was 1 in Birmingham also on Erdington high street. Last time I went up there it was now a gym above and other rental units below.
Gutted that in the 90’s my dad worked for the company who designed the uk sega parks and I had the layouts and concept art.
That does sound gutting.