• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

DarKoaster's capacity would be insufficient for a major attraction at Alton Towers. The ride only operates with two 10 passenger trains.

This is not to say that some sort of other indoor coaster could not work though. Something like Revenge of the Mummy is what I'm hoping for but we shall see.

I did think this, but I have a feeling something very similar is coming

It holds 80 passengers, which is two more than Hex! Just the capacity that Towers needs but, as I said, I think it would be too tall at 29
Ah right, on the video it didn't look like a high capacity ride.

Would be a great experience with the right visual package.

DarKoaster's capacity would be insufficient for a major attraction at Alton Towers. The ride only operates with two 10 passenger trains.
I guess there's nothing stopping Alton Towers from doing longer trains, or more trains (in theory, at least).

Also; if DarKoaster wouldn't have sufficient capacity for Alton Towers, how does it have sufficient capacity for Busch Gardens Williamsburg? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but BGW gets at least Towers' annual guest figure if not more, don't they?

We are talking about the parent company who opened a roller coaster that seats 10 people in the busiest theme park in the UK.

Anyhow if we're to take what John Wardley said to be true about something brand new coming to Towers it's hardly going to be something similar to BGW but opened at least 2 years after it.

We are talking about the parent company who opened a roller coaster that seats 10 people in the busiest theme park in the UK.
What coaster was that, out of interest? I can't think of any Towers coaster that seats 10 people... or am I misinterpreting your post?

Duplo Dino Coaster at Legoland Windsor, the most visited theme park in the country. Merlin decided building a coaster with such a poor capacity was good enough for that park, why wouldn't they do the same at Towers.
I mean they've followed it up with the weird Chessington shuttle coaster, and planning the Thorpe Park coaster that's missing the 2nd half of it.

Duplo Dino Coaster at Legoland Windsor, the most visited theme park in the country. Merlin decided building a coaster with such a poor capacity was good enough for that park, why wouldn't they do the same at Towers.
I mean they've followed it up with the weird Chessington shuttle coaster, and planning the Thorpe Park coaster that's missing the 2nd half of it.
Ah, sorry; that makes far more sense!

In fairness, kiddie coasters are generally low throughput by very nature, so I think there's very little they could have done to increase Duplo's capacity.

Something like Studio tour would be fun but they need a far, far higher capacity as the queue was painful and we didn't do Movie Park on a busy day.

Ah, sorry; that makes far more sense!

In fairness, kiddie coasters are generally low throughput by very nature, so I think there's very little they could have done to increase Duplo's capacity.

There's a lot they could have done. Longer trains, better thought out layout, twin stations etc.

I just thought of something else; at the consultation, they're likely to wheel out the attendance graph again, aren't they? We might be able to find out the parks' 2021 attendance figures... I'll admit I'm very keen to see them, seeing as the parks seemed quite busy last year and it's the first year of practically full attendance "post-COVID"!

For those who have no idea what I'm on about: https://www.cwoa-consultation.com/proposals?lightbox=dataItem-komw1163

That's something i could see towers going for imo.

Seeing the popularity of LLW Flying Theatre I could defiantly see them going along those lines.

Though doesn't look like it holds much capacity and would certainly have a small throughput P/H
I have suspected we'd see a Flying Theatre at Towers much like what we have at LLW, however I could see them building two separate theatres much like what they did with the BTTF ride at Universal which not only would improve throughput but also means that if one theatre is not working but the other is then it means the ride wouldn't need to shut.

I wouldn't be surprised that Merlin would have learnt lessons from LLW and given how large the space there is in Coaster Corner (not including what is currently being planned on the Mouse site) then there certainly is the space for a double theatre.

FWIW, there's a double flying theatre at LL California. Most (all?) of the others are single screen, which is not hugely surprising given the cost.

I'd be surprised if that's what SW9 turns out to be though.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a pair of flying theatres on that site. Wouldn't be SW9 but it's not confirmed that area is actually SW9
I've got a feeling it will be SW9. If they're aiming for a 2025 opening that's 7 years since Wicker Man, and SWs are usually 5-6 years apart.
Time will tell though!

And I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Soarin at the Disney parks, they have two theatres as well for capacity.

It's definitely going to be an indoor coaster in my opinion. A good decision it would be too as it adds yet another attraction they can run in very cold temperatures / at their winter event.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Van Helsing's Factory but hopefully even better.

If we do get an indoor coaster, I have been thinking about how they could include the queue into the ride if Towers want to try and take up less space in the area, an situation from DLP might be an idea which they had for the original Space Mountain...a viewing platform of inside the building showing the ride in action. Skip to 1:31 in the video.

Imagine this as you wait in line seeing the trains flying through space and effects in action...certainly would be the best queue experience at Towers and better than any cattle pen queue for sure!

And no, I'm certainly not trying once bring up the Port Discovery idea, again, with Black Hole returning as a Mack ride with a full steampunk theme, even if technically it was nearly this if the station was anything to go by! :p