• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

if they're doing David Attenborough: The Ride then he should narate the whole thing 'the train is now leaving the station, but to where? Well only time will tell. Here comes a loop. The train has now completed the loop. Here comes a sharp right turn' etc - be pretty immersive. Plus it would reduce the amount of screaming because Richard Attenborough's voice is very soothing

if they're doing David Attenborough: The Ride then he should narate the whole thing 'the train is now leaving the station, but to where? Well only time will tell. Here comes a loop. The train has now completed the loop. Here comes a sharp right turn' etc - be pretty immersive. Plus it would reduce the amount of screaming because Richard Attenborough's voice is very soothing
Sounds like one of the strangest on ride sounds you can have on a roller coaster, Disney might have there own with Space Mountain and that...we have Mr Attenborough for ours!

To be honest, the more I think about this the more I think it's going to be SW9. 2025 has been bandied around as a potential opening year, and that would be 7 years after Wicker Man. Aren't SWs usually every 5-6 years?

Last edited:
To be honest, the more I think about this the more I think it's going to be SW9. 2025 has been bandied around as a potential opening yeah, and that would be 7 years after Wicker Man. Aren't SWs usually every 5-6 years?
I also think this is SW9 with maybe a couple of support rides etc thrown in. It’ll have its own entrance either from near the dungeon building or around the back of X Sector somewhere along the path that separates the Towers from X Sector.

SWs used to be every 4 years up until Air, and then there was an 8 year gap (even though Rita and Spinball were added) because the SW name was dropped. Then there was only a 3 year gap between Thirteen and The Smiler and then a 5 year gap until Wickerman.

I may be wrong but we might currently be in the longest period in the park’s history without a large scale addition.

I also think this is SW9 with maybe a couple of support rides etc thrown in. It’ll have its own entrance either from near the dungeon building or around the back of X Sector somewhere along the path that separates the Towers from X Sector.

SWs used to be every 4 years up until Air, and then there was an 8 year gap (even though Rita and Spinball were added) because the SW name was dropped. Then there was only a 3 year gap between Thirteen and The Smiler and then a 5 year gap until Wickerman.

I may be wrong but we might currently be in the longest period in the park’s history without a large scale addition.

Covid certainly will have something to do with that

It depends on what you class as a large scale addition, but I'd argue that nothing much of any significance was added between Air and Thirteen, which would be a slightly longer break if it were 2025.

But like you say, there's nothing 'usual' about the SW programme these days, Merlin simply don't plan far enough ahead for any sort of pattern to be discernable.
Add a recession, and theme parks going out of fashion...
Surely only the ones that aren't investing properly? There is still demand for high quality theme parks in the UK... it's just that the demand is being met in Europe, Asia and America because none of the home parks are making interesting, immersive additions.
The entrance will be by the Dungeons, there are multiple reasons why an entrance from the X-Sector wouldn't be feasible, not least, it would be really odd park design to put in a very long empty path to get to a new ride, when there's a much more accessible route available. For reference, the distance that path would need to cover is the same distance to get from the new ride to Woodcutters.

The entrance will be by the Dungeons, there are multiple reasons why an entrance from the X-Sector wouldn't be feasible, not least, it would be really odd park design to put in a very long empty path to get to a new ride, when there's a much more accessible route available. For reference, the distance that path would need to cover is the same distance to get from the new ride to Woodcutters.
A pathway from X-Sector could work very well, especially if the area is woodland themed in some way. It wouldn't necessarily be an empty path either, you just need to look at Haunted Hollow to see how such a path would work to set the tone of the area you are walking towards.

A pathway from X-Sector could work very well, especially if the area is woodland themed in some way. It wouldn't necessarily be an empty path either, you just need to look at Haunted Hollow to see how such a path would work to set the tone of the area you are walking towards.
I think Haunted Hollow is slightly different. Haunted Hollow is a shortcut that bypasses Katanga Canyon, and there is an alternative path available (multiple, in fact). It’s more of a walkthrough attraction in its own right rather than the main path to Gloomy Wood.

If this new area were to be accessed primarily from by X-Sector, then I think that would certainly be a longer route than just entering up near the Dungeons/TWODW.

It would also go through the current location of MMM’s Towers base, I believe (which is behind the theatre, not far from where this is being built). Building an entry path there would necessitate that being moved, which probably isn’t feasible.

I wouldn't be adverse to a new pathway from X Sector as a one of 2 routes to a new area (not primary). It could be quite cool actually and would make the park feel like it's expanding. But I'm wondering why they would go to this expense when an entrance in the corner of a finished Walliams World would be fine.

We certainly don't need any more Woodland/Forest/Tree themes though. The biggest concern is what they'll do with the mess between the Skyride station and the new area. Something draws me towards them thinking about this all being part of the new area, starting at Burger Kitchen and extending into coaster corner, which would make Walliams World look even more silly than it already does at the moment.

I think Haunted Hollow is slightly different. Haunted Hollow is a shortcut that bypasses Katanga Canyon, and there is an alternative path available (multiple, in fact). It’s more of a walkthrough attraction in its own right rather than the main path to Gloomy Wood.

If this new area were to be accessed primarily from by X-Sector, then I think that would certainly be a longer route than just entering up near the Dungeons/TWODW.

It would also go through the current location of MMM’s Towers base, I believe (which is behind the theatre, not far from where this is being built). Building an entry path there would necessitate that being moved, which probably isn’t feasible.
It would actually act as a shortcut from inside X-Sector, it's a shorter distance to walk than exiting X-sector, walking past the Towers, past Hex and TWODW. A path from around where Enterprise is now, entering the new area near the Flag Tower wouldn't interfere with any of the buildings currently in the area. There is an access road around there which would be the only real problem, but there are ways around that, bridge, tunnel etc....

Sure it probably wouldn't be the main entrance to the area, just one of them.

Are their any facilities that can be brought back into use for guests in that area, I'm thinking toilets as that area is quite a way away from any. Any old shops/restaurants etc.