• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Seeing as Merlin are very specifically talking about the location being the former site of the Mouse (specifically pointing out that it has a coaster there before) I think we could all picture it being an Arthur style family suspended powered coaster with dark ride elements.

However though if it were going to be the site of a Secret Weapon, is there any chance that it could house something like a Mack Xtreme Spinner instead? There seems to have been a suggestion that Spinball Whizzer could be a coaster to leave the park at some point in the future and an Xtreme Spinner would be a fantastic replacement. Or alternatively could Spinball Whizzer be placed inside this structure and rethemed to something else instead (ie a Jumanji indoor coaster)?

Or alternatively could Spinball Whizzer be placed inside this structure and rethemed to something else instead (ie a Jumanji indoor coaster)?
No, and my body physically recoils every time someone suggests this.

The ride is concreted in to the ground, so wouldn’t be practical to move, it isn’t designed to fit inside a building due to its irregular footprint, and it gets mediocre public reviews at best. There’s no sound business case for moving this coaster. When it’s gone it will be for scrap

This sort of ride is needed in the UK and as much as I would like Poulton's to get the first one, Merlin have the budget to do it.

It would be great to see one if these at Paulton’s wouldn’t it but I could definitely see Merlin doing one and slapping an IP on it.

Jurassic Flyers at Universal Studios Beijing is the most recent of the three Mack inverted spinning powered coaster installations, it does look like an interesting ride and gives the park a lot of scope for theming.

https://youtu.be/GIB4rHPbY5Q

It would be great to see one if these at Paulton’s wouldn’t it but I could definitely see Merlin doing one and slapping an IP on it.

Jurassic Flyers at Universal Studios Beijing is the most recent of the three Mack inverted spinning powered coaster installations, it does look like an interesting ride and gives the park a lot of scope for theming.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that a Mack suspended powered coaster would be a good fit! I could see an indoor area with a few flat rides, facilities and the coaster (like Minimoys Kingdom at Europa), with the latter going both around the area and outside. Would be awesome.
Edit: Would be a UK first too!

Last edited:
If Carters Steam Fair was to permanently come to Alton Towers I’d like to see it go between Extraordinary Golf and Galactica and be part of evening resort area for the hotels.

Anyways, my gut feeling regarding this new ride is a flying theatre, which I wouldn’t be adverse to tbh. Alton doesn’t need more roller coasters.

I would be really disappointed if this turned out to be an expansion to Walliams World. I think the area and ip is pretty rubbish myself and the mouse area has far greater potential than to be advertising for a (in my opinion) mediocre children's author. I really can’t see them putting Carter’s Steam Fair in there either, what a huge let down that would be. The last thing Towers needs is more fairground rides so I really hope that rumour is nonsense.

One of my favourite things about when something like this happens is how excited the community becomes then all the ideas start flowing, surely one of us must be right or at least close to being right. I can’t wait to see what is going in this area, hope It’s going to be something truly great.

Really exciting time be a theme park fan, so many projects coming up in parks across the uk right now.

Last edited:
No, and my body physically recoils every time someone suggests this.

The ride is concreted in to the ground, so wouldn’t be practical to move, it isn’t designed to fit inside a building due to its irregular footprint, and it gets mediocre public reviews at best. There’s no sound business case for moving this coaster. When it’s gone it will be for scrap

I agree with you totally that the ride is an irregular shape so would be very difficult to fit indoors while maximising space......I have to be extremely pedantic and point out that is is bolted to the floor. (Sorry!)

Towers already has a second gate in the water park.

If they get anything further I would suspect it will be midway type attractions.

The wording of it as "second gate brand delivery" suggests an upcoming project though, either a full retheme of Splash Landings or something else...

The wording of it as "second gate brand delivery" suggests an upcoming project though, either a full retheme of Splash Landings or something else...

Well it’s been long rumoured that midways will be coming to the resort side of things. Dungeons was always rumoured to be a trial run.

I agree with you totally that the ride is an irregular shape so would be very difficult to fit indoors while maximising space......I have to be extremely pedantic and point out that is is bolted to the floor. (Sorry!)
And I’m even more of a pedant, it isn’t bolted in, they would literally have to shear the supports at the base for removal , which would make it very tricky to relocate. You can see in construction images that bolts into the footer are entirely absent, they literally filled the hole with cement to keep each piece in place.

AB54BA69-E00E-412C-8820-AD63AF59CADC.jpeg

Well it’s been long rumoured that midways will be coming to the resort side of things. Dungeons was always rumoured to be a trial run.

I could definitely see an indoor “LEGOLAND” area going here, if they can get Dungeons out and replaced with a Lego themed ride they’d have something they could reliably keep open all year as a family offering. I think a lot of speculation will be pointless until we find out if this is anything to do with a new large scale coaster or not

Ive always thought a second gate at FV open from 11 would be a good call, especially with the monorail aging.

It's not that though. Could mean anything!

Well if that's true, surely the trial was unsuccessful and they've seen that it was a bad Idea? 😉

Last edited:
Second gate is an industry term for secondary attractions/upsells like golf, waterpark and dungeons.

As far as brand delivery goes, again this doesn’t signify anything new - AT guests expect the park to deliver on its brand values every day. I feel that’s the context here as opposed to delivery of something new.