• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Danscott22

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
I'm not sure if there is a thread for this, but Alton are holding a public consultation on 19th September for local residents for a proposed "new indoor ride". TT has the picture credit, but I don't know how to put it in here so if someone could that'd be great! It will be on the former Alton Mouse site adjacent to TWoDW and the Alton Towers Dungeon.

I wonder what this could be? Do we think dark ride? Indoor coaster maybe? Certainly exciting times! I'd imagine we'd get more information on what type of ride it is on the 19th September right?

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out that this is related to Duel. All we really have is speculation so far and 'new' doesn't have to mean a new indoor space, or even ride system.

I wouldn't rule out that this is related to Duel. All we really have is speculation so far and 'new' doesn't have to mean a new indoor space, or even ride system.
I should’ve said - it’s on the former Alton Mouse site. It’s not Duel related

7eaef5f7acdf153bfd6c16e4b774432d.jpg

Photo credit TowersTimes on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it’s worth; those “in the know” apparently think that this is to be the next Secret Weapon.

I’ve got to say, I think this is brilliant news! A new indoor attraction will definitely add some variety to Alton Towers’ lineup, which should hopefully allay recent concerns about the park lacking filler rides! With this being in/near TWODW, I doubt that it’ll be anything too thrilling, but I think the park needs more middle-ground things with a more universal appeal at present, so I don’t think that really matters myself.

Perhaps Towers are listening and building a stronger line up of flats? I wouldn’t want SW9 there - bit of a strange in between area
It’s an indoor attraction, so there will be a building erected. Unless they’re doing an indoor area with a few flats, I think this is more likely to be a stand-alone attraction.

My personal hunch is that this will be a dark ride or indoor family coaster, but I could be wrong there.

For what it’s worth; those “in the know” apparently think that this is to be the next Secret Weapon.

I’ve got to say, I think this is brilliant news! A new indoor attraction will definitely add some variety to Alton Towers’ lineup, which should hopefully allay recent concerns about the park lacking filler rides! With this being in/near TWODW, I doubt that it’ll be anything too thrilling, but I think the park needs more middle-ground things with a more universal appeal at present, so I don’t think that really matters myself.
Maybe this is what JW was referring to when he said announcement soon - the public consultation! It would make sense

If they were to build a water ride in there, they could get rid of the rapids and build something better on that site. Or something.

Reactions: Ash
TT are saying that those “in the know” are saying that it is SW9, but I guess it is probably better to be safe than sorry… SW9 being an indoor attraction would certainly be a change, but I guess not out of the question.

That corner with it's wooden fence has been ugly since coaster corner shut and I definitely wouldn't say no to blocking it off with a themed exterior and a long overdue indoor attraction of some sort. But it's interesting that there's so much unused indoor space in that exact area already. Unless of course this will be big enough to incorporate most of this indoor space, like an attraction in the new building and queue lines, shops and possibly a pre-show area in the old.

Then there's the existing dark ride system just begging for a new family attraction in the Dungeon building.

It's ultimately a good thing that Alton are considering an indoor attraction of some sort and doing something to redevelop this awful area of the park.

Just out of curiosity (because I don’t actually know the exact site) is it behind Flavio’s Fabulous Fandango? Or am I getting confused with something else

This is very interesting, if it is SW9 related and it's an indoor coaster then I'm very surprised they've gone with an indoor coaster, although it makes sense for them as they'll be able to run it during christmas and when the British wheather doesn't play ball but I always thought they wouldn't bother because of the sheer cost of building something like a coaster indoors and then theming the whole building.

On the other hand this might be a dark ride which is well needed also. I think this space is better suited to that but at this point I don't think anyone can tell. I imagine we'll know considerably more about this when the consolation happens.

Just out of curiosity (because I don’t actually know the exact site) is it behind Flavio’s Fabulous Fandango? Or am I getting confused with something else
Yes; the site has been blocked off ever since Coaster Corner closed in 1991 (I think?), and the park has often attempted to disguise the area by putting attractions in front of it. It was Bouncing Bugs for years, then it was Twirling Toadstool, then it was Royal Carousel/Flávio’s,

I actually think that putting an indoor attraction there is a very smart move. An indoor attraction on that site would remedy the main issue that site faced in the past (high levels of noise passing into Alton village), and it would also mean that valuable real estate elsewhere in the park isn’t having to be used on a dark ride; these plots are free for a future coaster or something else.

Not directly, no. The Alton Mouse site is much further back in that backstage area, there is quite a bit of land in between Flavio and the proposed site. And probably more importantly, whilst the Alton Mouse site would require planning permission, the area in front of this has general development rights.

Not directly, no. The Alton Mouse site is much further back in that backstage area, there is quite a bit of land in between Flavio and the proposed site. And probably more importantly, whilst the Alton Mouse site would require planning permission, the area in front of this has general development rights.
So whatever they are building on the mouse site would need some way to take riders through what is now a backstage area? So they'd surely have to build a queue line down there and either attempt to hide the backstage area or actually get rid of some of the stuff back there.