• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Someone replied to a YouTube comment of mine saying that Towers have already referred to this project as SW9. Have I missed something?

Screenshot_20220925-093740-258.png

That will be someone pretending they've heard it somewhere.
EDIT: I just watched the video on the Intamin Motion Tower. I really wouldn't mind if it was this actually. It looks like it could be quite good with the right thing on the screen in front of you/effects. Seems to be quite high capacity as well. The fact it can drop and tilt could make it quite thrilling.

Last edited:
I’m not saying this is the case but we are almost certainly getting a new area with this development so there is no reason project horizon isn’t the entire project with SW9 located within it.
That's a really good point actually! Would make sense.

I’m not saying this is the case but we are almost certainly getting a new area with this development so there is no reason project horizon isn’t the entire project with SW9 located within it.

I think so too. It's too far away to be in TWODW and it wouldn't make much sense being a stand lone attraction in non designated land.

We might get phase 1 (coaster) and phase 2 perhaps which could be the Dungeons probably rethemed back into a dark ride. Add a small flat ride maybe too and that's a new area.

Out of curiosity when was the last time we can say Alton added a genuine, never there before ride? I.e not a replacement.

This for me is what’s been lacking the past 20 years.

Anyone got any charts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Peter Rabbit? Or maybe something like Furchester Hotel or the Pat Vans.

Hex is my only solid answer I can think of, unless Galactica being further down and 10 years after New Beast counts?

Reactions: Ash
Out of curiosity when was the last time we can say Alton added a genuine, never there before ride? I.e not a replacement.

This for me is what’s been lacking the past 20 years.

Anyone got any charts?

Depends how you define it I suppose. It’s rare a park like towers will build on virgin land (even this project isn’t doing that as there used to be 3 rollercoasters up there).

Depends how you define it I suppose. It’s rare a park like towers will build on virgin land (even this project isn’t doing that as there used to be 3 rollercoasters up there).

True, looking at it quickly I’d say probably Rita and Spinball? Of any note anyway

Sorry if this has been already been mentioned but I was just watching the Theme Park Worldwide vlog from Universal Orlando and when Shawn was talking about Revenge Of The Mummy at IOA and at 33:08 he clearly states “Alton Towers are planning on building a new indoor coaster”.

https://youtu.be/Ucr4V0yNsMM

Seeing as Shawn was the first one to drop a hint that Duel would be getting a refurb before anyone else does this perhaps indicate that he knows something about this?

Sorry if this has been already been mentioned but I was just watching the Theme Park Worldwide vlog from Universal Orlando and when Shawn was talking about Revenge Of The Mummy at IOA and at 33:08 he clearly states “Alton Towers are planning on building a new indoor coaster”.

Seeing as Shawn was the first one to drop a hint that Duel would be getting a refurb before anyone else does this perhaps indicate that he knows something about this?

Not a prayer will he know what's happening.

He's a Youtuber ultimately even if he's one of if not the most well known.

Possible.....although I doubt he knows anymore than most on here. Its a reasonable assumption that its going to be a coaster though.

I’d have assumed that Shawn has a very good relationship and contacts with many of the parks he frequently visits. Remember how in a video about Duel quite a few months back he was mentioning about various props being suddenly placed within the building and hinting that it was going to be getting a refurb, that was the first that many of heard of that idea.

I’d definitely think that it very possible he may well know quite a bit about what various parks may have planned for the future and what he can hint to viewers or reveal to them. Many parks work with him by offering him tickets to visit and invites to promotional events and media days, etc. I could certainly see him being given a few hints on what is going on behind the scenes.

As for Project Horizon, we were speculating that it could be a dark ride, a coaster, or some form of flying theatre type attraction. An Arthur style coaster has certainly been a popular suggestion here granted but I wouldn’t necessarily have called a coaster a reasonable assumption myself.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Shawn did have insider information. Shawn might be a YouTuber… but he also worked at Alton Towers for the best part of a decade, and given that combined with his current status, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a fair few “sources” lining up to give him the inside scoop on what’s going on at Towers.

On a separate note, I heard it said that documents should appear on the planning application this week, which should give us some more ideas.