• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Not sure if this has already been said, but if it helps, here are the heights of the above-ground coasters to compare with Project Horizon’s building height of up to 20m:

Spinball - 17m
Thirteen - 20m
Rita - 18m
Wickerman - 18m
RMT - 11m

I haven’t included the likes of Oblivion/Nemesis/Galactica/Smiler as these involved excavation work, which we know will not feature in this project.

I always thought Rita was 23mtrs tall. No idea why
The park’s official claim on the signs outside is 21m, but I’ll admit I thought the same… I definitely remember a statistic somewhere claiming 23m, but I can’t remember for the life of me where…

Just an observation on the plan above (....probably one that someone has made already...). The curved red line that comes from the top north eastern corner looks to me likely to be some form of track. There are a few reasons for this:
  • When scaled against other coaster track layouts (e.g. project horizon), the curves are similar in scale and the red line similar in width (The curvature looks a bit like the plan view of the northern most bit of Chessingtons new B&M)
  • The red line entirely follows an existing tarmac road, planning wouldn't be required to turn this into a path so there would be no need to include it on the screening opinion red line
  • It extends past the end of the access road and ends in the middle of the paving where the carousel is located (doesn't end tying in to anything imparticular)
  • It is curving to avoid existing tree canopies - a path wouldn't need to as the road already passes below them
  • IF I'm right , it would suggest some form of 'shuttle coaster' (or an element like thirteens reverse section) as the track doesn't form a loop.
I'm not saying that this is a B&M shuttle it could be any type of coaster and I know that the location makes outdoor track difficult, but it looks that way to me....
The red line is almost certainly nothing more exciting than a services route, i.e. the route which a new electrical supply will be dug into the development.

When Duckman is sticking the boot in, you know you've made a mistake.
Rarely a truer word spoke. I don't think I've ever seen John so riled...

Completely agree with the point. Less convinced it's the ideal means of gaining compliance though...

Jesus wept there are some sad people in the world.
I am assuming they are setting up fake emails to send all this stuff in etc! That's a lot of effort for something which is mildly amusing at best!

Oh wow; that was quick! Might we be seeing a 2024 opening after all?
Unsure (and unlikely I think) but apparently the deadline for any notification of an EIA needing to take place was last Friday, so the screening opinion application still remains. You can see a submission take of 10/10/2022 and a paid fee though! I assume that means full application? Someone tell me if I'm wrong (likely) :tearsofjoy:

I still reckon mid-2024 is plausible myself, particularly given that the application has gone in earlier than expected.

For some idea, DBGT’s full application went in in October 2014, and that ride’s originally intended opening (teething problems aside) was May 2016. With a mooted construction period of 12-14 months for Project Horizon, a 2024 opening would certainly be possible even if it took them a good few months to get the application approved.

Admittedly, I’d be surprised if they did the Nemesis retrack and Project Horizon in the same year… but at the same time, this application is going in very early compared to past Merlin applications if the ride is due to open in 2025, so I wouldn’t count out 2024, personally. Stranger things have happened.

I’m struggling to understand why it would make business sense for them to open this mid-season @Matt N?

2024 is the re-opening of Nemesis, that is likely the marketing draw for that season.

It makes far more sense to have the next large investment open in 2025.

It’s not all about rushing to get things open for the sake of it. They need to maximise return on investment.

I’m struggling to understand why it would make business sense for them to open this mid-season @Matt N?

2024 is the re-opening of Nemesis, that is likely the marketing draw for that season.

It makes far more sense to have the next large investment open in 2025.

It’s not all about rushing to get things open for the sake of it. They need to maximise return in investment.
I’m not saying it necessarily does, but they have done mid-season openings before and I see no reason why they couldn’t do one again.

CBeebies opened mid-season. DBGT opened mid-season. It’s certainly not something Merlin seem averse to based on their history. Besides, you could argue that opening mid-season works because it has the potential to draw people in twice in the same year; once at the start of the year, and once later on after the new ride has opened.

And as I say in the edit I made above, it’s certainly possible given the timeframe specified in the EIA. To me, an October 2022 planning application for a 2025 ride seems very early… based on Merlin’s recent rides, a 2025 planning application wouldn’t typically have gone in until at least spring 2023.

I agree that 2025 would make more sense. But I don’t think 2024 is impossible by any stretch, based on the timeframes given, I definitely think it could happen.

I guess we’ll find out in the planning application documents…

Besides, you could argue that opening mid-season works because it has the potential to draw people in twice in the same year; once at the start of the year, and once later on after the new ride has opened.

Its more likely to do the opposite and make people go in the summer when the new ride is open. Especially if the March/April weather is poor why bother going at all if you can come back for the new ride.