• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

MattGC is so right.

Personally I think that if you work for near minimum wage and live in a poorer area nothing is done about major detractions to your life, people rarely complain, and it would be inappropriate to do so as life has to progress...

...but, there are far wealthier members of society with huge homes, plus second and third homes that stand empty for most of the year, who demand all of the benefits of the infrastructure that exists elsewhere, but object to even the tiniest inconvenience and think that the rules should only apply to those who don't enjoy their advantages, power and privileges...

1669735792712.png

MattGC is so right.

Personally I think that if you work for near minimum wage and live in a poorer area nothing is done about major detractions to your life, people rarely complain, and it would be inappropriate to do so as life has to progress...

...but, there are far wealthier members of society with huge homes, plus second and third homes that stand empty for most of the year, who demand all of the benefits of the infrastructure that exists elsewhere, but object to even the tiniest inconvenience and think that the rules should only apply to those who don't enjoy their advantages, power and privileges...

1669735792712.png

This is what it's all about...

maslow-5.jpg

This model is the basis for much of human behaviour and drives.

MattGC is so right.

The bolded part is the problem, if people don't complain then nothing will change for them. Keep seeing people doing the "my pay is rubbish but you don't see me going on strike" thing when they hear about striking workers, they haven't considered the reason their pay might be rubbish is preciously because they don't have a union.
Its the same here, if you want improvements in your local area, ask for them. Or of course if you don't want something, object to it.

Often people don't have valid objections, but that's no reason not to object at all.

Hierarchy of needs, jeez, forty years since I read that textbook.
Maslow is still kicking then!
Rollercoaster development branches off into some very strange topics sometimes.
This isn't the topic so I won't drag it out too much other than for the context of the objections.

It's used as the basis for political messaging. Understand the needs of your audience and play to it. e.g. low pay workers are worried about job security and competition in the work force... Can you think of any famous campaigns that used that?

In this case, people who are affluent have no real struggles (food, a roof, danger) so two things happen. Firstly they are motivated by self esteem so want to appear good to the world. The second is they create struggles and causes because we are hard wired for struggle and can't cope without it!

And that, according to that model at least answers the question about why poor areas don't kick up a fuss and these types do.

I did Maslow on my BTEC 30 odd years ago. Never needed it lol.

Be interesting to see if these objections are sufficient to prevent (unlikely) or down size (more likely) the project.

If I were guessing with all the legal fees, planning fees, restrictions, planning consultations, Nimbys, etc it must cost more to build a large attraction at AT than pretty much any other theme park.

I 100% agree that AT is phenomenally beautiful and needs protecting. It's not 6 flags and I'm glad for that, but it makes you wonder how far an SW project budget would stretch if some of the more trivial factors did not have to be addressed at considerable expense every time.

This was always an area that would ruffle a few feathers, given its history. I would be surprised if any of the complaints adversely affect the final product. It's a rather inoffensive investment, that uses up existing space which is a dumping ground, it adds new temporary and permanent jobs, and boosts the local economy.

Alton Towers have been clever to keep this area for an indoor ride. It's something the park lacks and is probably the best option for Coaster Corner.

I'm actually surprised Alton Parish Council didn't argue more against potential noise issues. Their complaint mentions it but they emphasise more on the visual impact (which is minimal/comparable to other structures in the park). I would say noise would be a bigger concern for locals. If a coaster is in the building that tin shed won't dampen much noise.

I’m surprised nobody at the Parish Council or even a resident hasn’t directly requested confirmation of this being a coaster or not. As mentioned, coasters are always going to be louder than other attractions, with or without a shed

When you come to the thread and see Maslow's dated unproven crap posted, it is easy to long for a return to the debate of whether or not it is a rollercoaster.