• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

If it’s a coaster, I wouldn’t be opposed to the “arch structure” turning out to be an outdoor portion of track - If they’re doing a Mack invert similar to Arthur that could be very effective

Reactions: Tom
If it’s a coaster, I wouldn’t be opposed to the “arch structure” turning out to be an outdoor portion of track - If they’re doing a Mack invert similar to Arthur that could be very effective

It’s not impossible but the application states the entire ride in enclosed, having any external track would have an impact on the noise assessment so I would highly doubt it.

People have mentioned the black hole returning in a new form. I'm wondering if the Horizon is the Event Horizon of a black hole hence the name. Btw I think Event Horizon would be a great coaster name though obviously nothing to do with the film.

Could be the parks new gimmick, movies named after films but they change just enough so they don't have to get the IP.

Hopefully the next one after can be an RMC terrain coaster called Cocaine Bear.

I just can’t see them making another Black Hole, it was special(ish) to enthusiasts and lovers of the park, but ultimately it was an ageing coaster and a relatively poor rip off of Space Mountain.

I think people forget with the Black Hole that it was quite often said that it could do with being removed to make way for something better, as is often the case with these things it’s reputation got better after it left.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but id be very surprised if the park went down the route of an indoor space themed rollercoaster considering that idea began in the 80s, even though I wouldn’t actually be against them doing so as I do tend to enjoy them.

Id be 100% onboard with a steampunk themed ride, though I'd love to see a whole steampunk themed area sit would suit towers perfectly. Great thing about this project is that nobody will know until it's complete.

I doubt that very much in this day and age. It will leak out way before then I'd imagine.

Id be 100% onboard with a steampunk themed ride, though I'd love to see a whole steampunk themed area sit would suit towers perfectly. Great thing about this project is that nobody will know until it's complete.
Black Hole in many ways did already have a steampunk theme with its station getting the Jules Verne theme and that area itself was literally a hairsbreadth away of becoming Port Discovery instead of X-Sector which the steampunk station of Black Hole shows how close things were to come and it is a theme to replace TWODW I'd kill to see be brought back to life and lets face it if it was to replace TWODW the bar was set pretty low and its hard to see how much more they could screw it up further but then again this is Merlin...

And BTW, unpopular opinion on here but I do feel that Black Hole's steampunk themed station was actually the best themed station that the park has ever done in which even Wicker Man or Nemesis can't compare to it.

Would actually make sense if they were looking to save money. Move Spinball into the big shed and turn the lights off, and then extend CBeebies. 'New' indoor coaster and more space for fun for little kids. I'm guessing that Spinball wouldn't even fit in the building though, so even if they wanted to do this it would no doubt be a non-starter. Can't be bothered to compare height measurements etc :tearsofjoy:

People have mentioned the black hole returning in a new form. I'm wondering if the Horizon is the Event Horizon of a black hole hence the name. Btw I think Event Horizon would be a great coaster name though obviously nothing to do with the film.
That link was made about a thousand posts ago...at least the circles we are spinning are getting bigger!

Would actually make sense if they were looking to save money. Move Spinball into the big shed and turn the lights off, and then extend CBeebies. 'New' indoor coaster and more space for fun for little kids. I'm guessing that Spinball wouldn't even fit in the building though, so even if they wanted to do this it would no doubt be a non-starter. Can't be bothered to compare height measurements etc :tearsofjoy:
17 metres so would fit perfectly :)

I'd rather not have another generic Steampunk or space theme thanks, it's been done extensively elsewhere.
Elsewhere maybe, in this country though and for any UK theme park, steampunk would be a novelty TBF as far as I'm aware and let's not forgot that Merlin still have the trademark for the Port Discovery name as from the Tussauds days which in theory means they could build it if they wanted so.

I had a thought; with the recent reveal of the Uncharted coaster at PortAventura, which seems likely to be an Intamin Multi Dimensional Coaster, could Project Horizon be something similar?

I know that Alton Towers technically already has Thirteen as an Intamin Multi Dimensional Coaster, but the model has evolved in scope quite considerably since Thirteen was built, and a ride with a heavier dark ride focus and different trick tracks (similar to Gringotts, or the ride that PA are seemingly building) would certainly differentiate itself well from Thirteen. A roller coaster with a heftier dark ride element would also arguably add another dark ride-style attraction to the park (which many argue that it needs), and I also feel that it could suit the smaller ground space better than a flat-out coaster.

If this ride were a coaster with a heavy dark ride element with some higher thrill coaster portions scattered within, it would make the height make sense while also fitting a decent coaster within the space (if it had a heavy dark ride focus, it likely wouldn’t require as much space as a regular enclosed coaster).