• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

If you're talking about a certain Colossos at Heide Park, they're owned by Merlin. šŸ˜‰
Uh...
Presumably the poster is talking about Wodan, which also has fire effects built-in.

I think that post was in regards to Europa park and Woden šŸ˜€
Yes, it was Wodan which was what I was referring too, actually I wish I had the twitter post EP had to point this out to Towers during Wicker Man's opening which caused Merlin to shut up about the world's first element about it.

I thought given how it seems everyone on this forum adores EP that everyone would be in on the joke, now it seems I've been proven wrong...goodness me.:oops:

Why is everyone hyped about something like Arthur? I found the execution of the actual hardware pretty mediocre. A building this size would be better served with a better layout

Why is everyone hyped about something like Arthur? I found the execution of the actual hardware pretty mediocre. A building this size would be better served with a better layout
I canā€™t speak for everyone, obviously, but I would personally be enthusiastic about a ride like Arthur because it would satisfy the brief of both ā€œnew coasterā€ and ā€œnew dark rideā€ pretty well. It is a coaster, and has some very fun coaster sections, but it also has some really nice dark ride sections too.

Granted, Arthur is not the most thrilling coaster, but itā€™s a very nice overall experience and a really good dark ride, in my view, with the occasional coaster sections enhancing the experience even more. Itā€™s one of the few coasters in my count that I donā€™t rank based purely on its track and train; Iā€™d say itā€™s a bit like Gringotts in that it has a heavy focus upon being a dark ride with some coaster elements rather than a coaster with some dark ride elements like enclosed coasters typically are.

For me, Iā€™d support one because I think it would have very wide appeal; it would be the perfect all round family coaster, which the park arguably lacks at present aside from RMT, and it would also appeal to those looking for something more sedate and immersive in the style of a dark ride. Arthur is not super intense, but itā€™s really good fun for everyone, in my view, and it ticks both the coaster and dark ride boxes very nicely, in my view.

I think if it has to be some sort of coaster (i.e. we drink the Merlin coolaid that it is literally impossible for the UK's leading theme park to market any other sort of attraction to adults), then Arthur feels like a realistic best case scenario, as it gives the capability to have a decent dark ride element. It would certainly see more feasible than any type of roller coaster, as a 20m clearance simply doesn't seem realistic for anything that would need a lift hill.

But I remain in the camp that says that a decent new dark ride is what the park desperately need. Even if we make the assumption that the new Haunted House will be an upgrade, that still only leaves two dark rides with a broad appeal in the park. I take people's points about Gangsta Granny, potentially Sub Terra and the potential for the Dungeons, but none of these rides have nor ever will have the broad appeal of a headline dark ride.

If this ride is part of new area and given how close it would be to the Dungeons then I can definitely see it being incorporated into the new area with a new theme and with back to being a boat ride once again to help with the obvious large crowd you'll get in that area.

Given how Dungeons is seen something as a temporary fix, I wouldn't be surprised if the thought of having that building as part of this new area would have been considered among those at Merlin, more easier for them to get rid of the Dungeons instead of TWODW due to the licence they have for the next few years. That said though the one fear I'd have is that if there are to retheme the Dungeons into a dark ride for the new area, it might get very little budget with the lion's share going into Project Horizon much like how Thirteen got all the money and the 'retheme' of dark forest got nowt.

Either way, would be nice for that building to be finally part of an actual land as apposed to being situated in a awkward location between TWODW and Dark Forest.

If this ride is part of new area and given how close it would be to the Dungeons then I can definitely see it being incorporated into the new area with a new theme and with back to being a boat ride once again to help with the obvious large crowd you'll get in that area.

Given how Dungeons is seen something as a temporary fix, I wouldn't be surprised if the thought of having that building as part of this new area would have been considered among those at Merlin, more easier for them to get rid of the Dungeons instead of TWODW due to the licence they have for the next few years. That said though the one fear I'd have is that if there are to retheme the Dungeons into a dark ride for the new area, it might get very little budget with the lion's share going into Project Horizon much like how Thirteen got all the money and the 'retheme' of dark forest got nowt.

Either way, would be nice for that building to be finally part of an actual land as apposed to being situated in a awkward location between TWODW and Dark Forest.
My hunch is that they'd likely tackle the Dungeons in a separate year. It's far enough away that it doesn't technically have to be part of TWODW or this new area, so maybe if this did happen, they would slide with it being separate for the first year or two that Horizon operates for and then integrate it in later?

My hunch is that they'd likely tackle the Dungeons in a separate year. It's far enough away that it doesn't technically have to be part of TWODW or this new area, so maybe if this did happen, they would slide with it being separate for the first year or two that Horizon operates for and then integrate it in later?
Depends on what Horizons' throughput level is, if below 1000pph then absolutely the boat ride within the Dungeons building will undoubtedly give it a helping hand with that ride system itself having an impressive throughput in itself when working unaffected as seem with 80 days and Toyland Tours, they only screwed it up when they did Charlie which added to the wait times mainly for the glass elevator sequence.

Would be weirdly a full circle moment when you think about if the ride in the Dungeons and Project Horizons are to be placed in the same land together...the oldest(?) Woking ride and the soon to be newest ride standing side by side. Heck if Horizons is a Mack ride then we'd have to call it Mack Corner instead of Coaster Corner! :p

And if they are to make into into a straight forward dark ride, please not some half baked IP like Charlie, TWODW or some other thing that will cost far more for just getting the licence than something more original. Return of 80 Days anyone...?

Hey, RideRater...that miserable bunch of gits who make TS look a happy place who want to have to moan about something...?
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

...Anyway indeed, seems all good from these plans but what gets me is that plaza part of the plans which pretty much confirms that this will be a new area for the part, the first true new area for years, and that the Dungeons building is looking likely to be part of the area.

Will be interesting to see more plans of the area if they get serious with it.

Just an observation on the plan above (....probably one that someone has made already...). The curved red line that comes from the top north eastern corner looks to me likely to be some form of track. There are a few reasons for this:
  • When scaled against other coaster track layouts (e.g. project horizon), the curves are similar in scale and the red line similar in width (The curvature looks a bit like the plan view of the northern most bit of Chessingtons new B&M)
  • The red line entirely follows an existing tarmac road, planning wouldn't be required to turn this into a path so there would be no need to include it on the screening opinion red line
  • It extends past the end of the access road and ends in the middle of the paving where the carousel is located (doesn't end tying in to anything imparticular)
  • It is curving to avoid existing tree canopies - a path wouldn't need to as the road already passes below them
  • IF I'm right , it would suggest some form of 'shuttle coaster' (or an element like thirteens reverse section) as the track doesn't form a loop.
I'm not saying that this is a B&M shuttle it could be any type of coaster and I know that the location makes outdoor track difficult, but it looks that way to me....

Just an observation on the plan above (....probably one that someone has made already...). The curved red line that comes from the top north eastern corner looks to me likely to be some form of track. There are a few reasons for this:
  • When scaled against other coaster track layouts (e.g. project horizon), the curves are similar in scale and the red line similar in width (The curvature looks a bit like the plan view of the northern most bit of Chessingtons new B&M)
  • The red line entirely follows an existing tarmac road, planning wouldn't be required to turn this into a path so there would be no need to include it on the screening opinion red line
  • It extends past the end of the access road and ends in the middle of the paving where the carousel is located (doesn't end tying in to anything imparticular)
  • It is curving to avoid existing tree canopies - a path wouldn't need to as the road already passes below them
  • IF I'm right , it would suggest some form of 'shuttle coaster' (or an element like thirteens reverse section) as the track doesn't form a loop.
I'm not saying that this is a B&M shuttle it could be any type of coaster and I know that the location makes outdoor track difficult, but it looks that way to me....
Hmm, unlikely they'd have another Thirteen style coaster on the park and the shuttle coaster chance is only possible if Chessie's B&M works though if that one's throughput turns out to be terrible as some are predicting, Merlin might get cold feet on having one for Towers.

I'd suspect that it would fully be indoors if this is a coaster but then again it is all just from making assumptions on some squiggle red line, might be for anything for all we know. Perhaps the MAP only footpath that is considered an attraction in itself and can't be used by the GP on any day...strange things have happened.