• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Puy du Fou: 31st July 2020

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
I will be leaving it to @Burbs to report on the majority of the road trip we recently did, but for this day - my first report in some considerable time is needed!

PUY DU FOU

I have visited this park, located in the Vendée, France on two previous occasions. Once, as a child - and another time, around 5 or 6 years ago. It has always been an impressive 'institution' and definitely somewhere that France is proud of. With over 2 million guests a year - the place attracts more people than Parc Astérix. And so it should. It's totally world class.

Indeed, only the French could pull off an attraction like this. They are the global masters at Son-et-Lumiere, and seem to know more tricks than anyone else for outdoor production. The Puy du Fou opened its doors to it's world-famous Cinéscénie in 1978, and as a larger theme park (the Grand Parc) from 1989.

As a theme park enthusiast, it's almost automatic to think that theme parks come down to theming and rides - with shows only offered as a bonus in the parks that can be bothered to fund them. And, yes, there are parks who put on some exceptional shows: Disneyland's Fantasmic, for example, Efteling's Raveleijn (although that's somewhat a co-incidence given that it is designed and delivered by the Puy du Fou) and a few others make the cut. But nowhere on Earth takes the rule book for theme park entertainment and does with it what this place does. Nowhere at all.

The park is large - very large. It has several accommodation options attached, all of which are themed. We chose to say at the very well appointed and modern Best Western Hotel Omnubo - just 5 minutes drive from the free Puy du Fou car park.

I wouldn't wish to spoil any of the particular shows, but I will summarise some key features:

• Le Bal des Oiseaux Fantomes involves hundreds of birds, actors, horses and more set to music. The show also involves a microlight which flies overhead, being chased by birds. On many occasions, vultures, eagles and more get within inches of your heads. Do not stand up. Hugely impressive.
116591650_10102739452978305_8456149265200453253_o.jpg

• Le Signe de Triomphe is located in the 8,000 seat Gallo-Roman Stadium. This show features chariot racing, fighting, a glorious parade (the geese being my favourite) and a wild assortment of special effects.
116807145_10102739453452355_8207508575438844098_n.jpg

• Les Vikings is the classic Puy du Fou show - the money shot being the Viking ship rising out of the lake with vikings on board ready to fight. There's also some explosive special effects here.

116429520_10102738976902365_7371372785536665980_o.jpg

• Le Dernier Panache is perhaps the most serious of the shows and takes place in the €18m theatre which has a massive trick up its sleeve. I won't reveal it here. Insanely clever use of sets, screens and audio makes this one of the most immersive performances i have ever seen. Not suitable for children.

• Le Mousquetaire de Richlieu was probably my least favourite, although this was due in part to the heat outside and the relative comfort inside! This show involves flamenco, lots of special effects and a stage that floods with water!
The walk through attractions were also hugely impressive. The sets, scenery and effects were incredible. Some were also very touching - with The Lovers of Verdun telling the tale of a soldier separated from his wife/girlfriend, and as she writes letters to him asking if he's well - he tells her that he is, even though conditions are awful.

There are also lots of craftspeople, walk up shows and restaurants set around themed villages. It's a really beautiful place. The park was open from 10am until 9pm - plenty of time to see nearly everything. But not everything! Two days would be required to take things at a more leisurely pace, especially as you have to arrive at each show 30-40 minutes in advance to be sure of a place.

On select nights in summer Puy du Fou stage La Cinéscénie - the world's biggest outdoor show. This is truly massive and words cannot do it justice. For us, the show began at 10.30pm and ended just after midnight. With a cast of well over 1,000 plus the most enormous set, crazy special effects including drones, pyro and more - this is honestly the most sensational show I have ever seen.

The show tackles the history of the area - and does so in an emotionally charged way. Again, for young children - much of the show would be a little heavy or frightening. WW2 bombers fly over ahead, gangs are slaughtered, villages burned - yet always, strength prevails and a positive ending is certain.

La Cinéscénie and the Puy du Fou are nothing short of a vital pilgrimage for any theme park enthusiast.

116722130_10102739472319545_7138333393944323760_n.jpg

117109342_10102739453766725_6773300322031737565_n.jpg

116796376_10102739472254675_454125262942865496_n.jpg

2020 Puy du Fou Promo Clip

Last edited: