Quick Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig, 27th Feb 2020.

1. Libby

Libby TowersStreet Member

Hi all! Unfortunately I planned WAY in advance a trip on Thursday - I live pretty far away so haven’t been for about 10 years. Obviously things aren’t looking good with the storm. Would anyone know if a thunderstorm would shut all the rides? Just wondering how doomed I am!
    Sadly paid for the hotel and even fast passes, which I’m feeling extra silly for now...

Skyscraper likes this.
  2. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Hi, welcome to TowersStreet
    Just checked BBC weather, yes that could be a problem. Worst case would be smaller rides and indoor rides unaffected so you could plan your day around that as it looks like an afternoon storm. If this happens then you will probably qualify for rainy day guarantee (free ticket back no fasttrack or hotel). I reckon Thursday will be quite quiet partly because schools are back and partly because the forecast will put some people off.

Last edited: 7th Sep 2021
    Skyscraper likes this.
  3. Libby

Thanks so much for your help, that sounds like a good plan! Fingers crossed the weather isn’t too dire - all I need is one ride on Nemmy tbh and I’d be satisfied!!

4. NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel TowersStreet Member

BBC Weather is notoriously pessimistic. They are forecasting "Thundery showers" from 2pm but in reality you will probably get a bit of rain and maybe an outage of ~1 hr on some rides if they're being cautious. At the moment looks as though yu will get a dry morning so I would get in the park early and make the most of it. And if it does rain, head straight to Nemesis - it's faster in the wet :)

5. Libby

Thank you so much - this makes me feel a bit more optimistic! Fingers crossed I can get a few rainy rides in on Nemesis then :D

6. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Some of my best days at the Towers have been the wet ones.
    Shorter queues, faster rides, and I always take a brolly...that gets left in a handy bush when it stops raining, to be collected at the end of the day.

jon81uk, Matt.GC and Libby like this.
  7. NuttySquirrel

Me too! Best of all is when the forecast is rubbish, the park is empty and actually when you get there it's completely fine!

I did my first ride ever on the Smiler in a huge rainstorm though, that was really painful!

jon81uk, rob666, Skyscraper and 2 others like this.
  8. Libby

So true! I think I went on The Swarm 7 times in a row or something silly a few years ago because the weather was awful. Fingers crossed for rain and no thunder haha!
    (Also Smiler in a storm!? Sounds equally painful and fun..)

9. NuttySquirrel

No, just painful! Like lots of little needles stabbing your face! Couldn't even keep my eyes open!

Libby and Skyscraper like this.
  10. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Be aware that the big rides may close an hour or so before the forecasted thunderstorm. They need enough time to empty everyone off before it arrives.

(P.S welcome to the forum by the way @Libby :))

Last edited: 8th Sep 2021
    Libby likes this.
  11. Libby

This is great to know, thank you!! :)

Skyscraper likes this.
  12. Dudders01

Dudders01 TowersStreet Member

Hi new here ☺️
    I’m taking my 2 children on my own next week. We have fast past, I don’t think my biggest one (13) will be brave enough to go on the very biggest i.e nemesis. When we went to Drayton they were able to walk through with me and wait (near exit) whilst I went on single rider. Does anyone know if Alton Towers will allow this? Thank you

Skyscraper likes this.
  13. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

They will be able to walk through and out the exit and can then wait outside for you. Can’t wait actually at the exit but outside will be okay.

Skyscraper likes this.
  14. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Depends how tall they are? If they're under 1.4m then they can't enter the queuelines for the bigger attractions, whether they intend to ride or not. If they're both over 1.4m then what @jon81uk said :)

Skyscraper likes this.
  15. andeyhart

andeyhart TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    It could do. It was closed a lot over summer last year but did reopen just before Scarefest for the last few weeks of last season.

It had this season, up until it closed about a month ago, been more reliable than in previous seasons. It was due its annual downtime.

Skyscraper likes this.
  16. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    What time does the Skyride open to go from Dark Forest to Forbidden Valley?

17. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I think all three stations open at 11am, but I could be wrong.

Matt878787 likes this.
  18. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

Yep I believe they open at 11am, and close about ride close, sometimes slightly after.

Skyscraper and Matt878787 like this.
  19. DavidRock

DavidRock TowersStreet Member

Quick questions hope someone can answer.....

Are the park doing ERT for Pass Holders at the min (i know last year they were suspended)?

Also what is the price to reactivate your Coke Freestyle Refill this year and do we still get annual pass discount as I still have mine from last year?

Going to park a week on Friday so just thought I'd ask.

Cheers

20. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Sorry if this is the wrong topic for this, but out of curiosity, what sort of throughput does the monorail attain these days?

TowersStreet’s page has its theoretical pegged at 4,100pph, but based on the current batching system and the length of the queues in the morning nowadays, I can only assume it’s somewhat lower. Am I correct to make this assumption?