• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Quick Trip Report

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
OK back from a day on park, quite short notice, but seeing as couldn't do Thorpe so far this year took the chance to give AT a chance at Scarefest. Went last 2 years ago, didn't do the mazes, but found the general lighting/atmosphere on park pretty decent and enjoyable.

Having done mazes first time last year, twice in the end at TP I was looking forward to AT's offerings!

So what is missing? Staff, were brilliantly friendly and helpful, Merlin's cash attitude is really annoying me now though - went with someone far from an enthusiast who said it just felt like "give me your money" at every turn. As general a member of the public, as you can get, family man, kids etc. Kept bringing this stuff up a lot, so glad it isn't just me, I obviously was not going to go into this with him on the day out - given he didn't like rides so much, may be he has a closet enthusiast in him ha-ha! Anyway I digress...

Towers St is pretty amazing, the Dr wandering round was exceptional, and the clowns were superb and it felt like it could be brilliant - leave Towers St, and it is pretty much as per usual!

A good addition to the actual Towers decoration though, late on in the evening, made me chuckle :) - other than that, the difference is people trying to flog flashy sticks everywhere. The purpose stopped being Scarefest most of the way around, and was simply enjoying rides in the dark. We all know this is great, but no special atmosphere other than what the rides themselves create in that setting.

Mazes?

Carnival - start made me laugh, actors pretty good! Inside, nice surprise or two at first.... wont spoil or write it, you've all no doubt done it that much ha-ha! The rest though?

TOTT - Boy oh boy, is that a long thing and a thank you of a maze or what??! Builds up in intensity at points, but for me, WAAAAAAAAAAY too long between good things happening, and now I FINALLY understand "steps". It's all we all seemed to say! Surroundings fantastic, theming inside is pretty darn good also - but intensity? Not for me. Didn't make me want to rush round a queue again, or come out beaming. Actors were good, theming good, it just lacks something - ALL of them, just lack something!

Sanctuary - Nice idea this. Intro good! Hilarious bit in the first room ;D - some good quality acting in this one again, in fact I have to say, the actors in all gave their all - but once again, I feel it lacked a measure of intensity!

Also, the Marm room - should that be all lit up or dark? It was bright white! Doesn't help the mystery shall we say.
For example, I don't find scary watching what is slapping me around the legs! Also it was not scary, it just frickin hurt lol! The group I was in felt the same largely - whom again, were strangers and not enthusiasts

Acting, theming, some clever touches - this COULD become great in my opinion, it's onto something, but for me kinda loses it's way a bit...
one half psychological, second seemed a bit irrelevant to the story, certainly provided no scares for me

Overall, park functioned pretty well today, queues not too bad at all, actors and staff were great (forgotten just how lovely the staff can be at AT to be fair). I thought I would get more of a "wow" though, and it did not happen.

Thorpe has it's problems, quite a lot lol ;D - but for intensity (and maybe, to be expected given slightly more adult context in fairness?) TP wins, and for over all atmosphere, Chessie wins.

Shame really, AT could be so, so much better than them all.

Have to say though... £7 for Carnival AFTERNOON...(WHAT??!) or £9 for both? I only wanted to do Sanctuary, and could only buy certain dual/single tickets from certain booths (weird), so given I was stood outside Carnival I did both. I think, Sanctuary's theming, and length are worthy of a ticket premium - a fiver for me. That must have taken a bit to put together, rehearse, and deliver so yes - worth £5/6 I believe.

And this nonsense with £8 for one photo, or 2 for £10, and many such examples across park is getting ridiculous now. I like to get an ORP, especially for people doing rides they have not done before, but £8 is absurd, 2 for £10 across multiple rides yes, but the same? Great if two of you are getting photos admittedly. Once again annoyed at the "This costs this, then plus this, so YOU PAY this nonsense everywhere!"

WE KNOW VARNEY, WE KNOW, VAT, WE GET IT ALREADY!!! (scuse caps, meant to be shouting!)

These are Merlin issues, of which you know my thoughts, but it did once again, wedge niggles into what could have been a wonderful day, resulting in me leaving towers street happier, feeling less ripped off and probably spending more, instead of reaching 9 and leaving before I had to spend anymore. £6 to park remains ludicrous. At some points I'd say it feels more like Phones4U than Alton Towers (not their fault of course)!

As I say, when normal members of the public, are pointing this out more than I am (was trying to ignore what I knew anyway ha-ha), you know it's going too far. Their words were basically, it's affecting the day, because you feel they're trying to extract extortionate sums of money from you at every turn, not giving you much chance to just enjoy your time! I told him not to stand too close to the bushes, as they have staff with hoovers to suck spare change out of your pockets ;D

Anyway I will send a letter of thanks, to AT staff for certain things today, that were down to their individual dedication to providing a great day, and am now more determined to make some very clear, definitive and strong points to Merlin.

Good points of the day? AT Staff. Bad points? M£rlin! (Oh and when did they remove Single Rider from Rita??? Who did that?!)

Hope you all enjoy your scarefest meet though!
Best,

TheMan

And it was hardly used at any point when I saw it - apart from the twice I needed to use it, due to other members of the party not wanting to go on it, and not wishing to leave them hanging around for 40 odd mins in the queue.

These are simple things, that are where the line is crossed in my opinion.

When you do things, that will without question, have a negative impact on the rest of the visitors, purely to make more money - that's just not right on an already expensive day out. Giving a premium choice is one thing, an option, that can be used if necessary - but something hardly used, that just jams up the normal queue is wrong, plain and simple.

Thanks though Dean, I couldn't fathom out what went on there.