• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Random question

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi,
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about this, as it’s not about TowersStreet per se, but I just thought this forum might be a helpful place to ask a question I have, as much of the TowersStreet team used to be heavily involved with TowersTimes in some capacity.

My question is; if I wanted to access the old TowersTimes forums (I’m talking early 2000s), what web address would I need to put into the Wayback Machine? Or is there a different way I could access these?

I only ask because I’d be really intrigued to see some of the discussions from when TowersTimes first came about (for instance, about the construction of Air, Splash Landings, Duel etc.), and Attraction Source’s current forum only goes back as far as late 2004 or early 2005.

This isn’t especially important, as it’s only really me wanting to rifle through older forum discussions for my own curiosity, but any help would be appreciated!

This isn’t especially important, as it’s only really me wanting to rifle through older forum discussions for my own curiosity, but any help would be appreciated!
I too would be very intrigued about old forums although I very much doubt they are still available.

I too would be very intrigued about old forums although I very much doubt they are still available.
The Wayback Machine can be surprisingly helpful for stuff like this; for instance, I was able to get into the old Alton Towers Almanac forums using the Wayback Machine! For some idea, these are now offline, and presumably have been for some time. ATA doesn’t look like it’s been properly regulated or maintained in quite some time; if you’ve been on there lately, you’ll know what I mean… (I’d almost be inclined to guess that it might have been hacked at some stage based on some of what’s on there now)

However, I can’t seem to find any of the old TowersTimes stuff using any web addresses I know for that forum, so I was intrigued to know if any of the TST team knew anything.

Is a Wayback machine some sort of time machine?
Sadly not, but it’s enormously helpful if you want to scour old websites!

It’s basically a site that caches old versions of websites so that you can access them and view them at your pleasure even if they’re not available to view on the main site itself! Here’s a link: https://archive.org/web/

Some of the links on an older page might be broken or go to a different time period, but it’s an immensely helpful resource!

So to clarify, you don't own a DeLorean? Damn it, I was so excited.

I have no idea what a cache is, but thanks for the link, I'll take a butchers!
For all we know @Matt N could be a secret time traveller and that's why he's so optimistic because the future it better and he knows it! Maybe the London Resort gets built. Please tell me your a secret time traveller Matt? ;)
As for the wayback machine it's a one way internet time machine. Effectively it stores the content (cache) of an old website/version of a website for modern viewing. It does bring back memories when you type in old sites that you used to use.

So to clarify, you don't own a DeLorean? Damn it, I was so excited.
If I did own a DeLorean, I’d have gone back to 90s Towers ages ago based on what you’ve all said about it!
For all we know @Matt N could be a secret time traveller and that's why he's so optimistic because the future it better and he knows it! Maybe the London Resort gets built. Please tell me your a secret time traveller Matt? ;)
If I were a secret time traveller, I’d have gotten far too many things wrong when trying to predict the future for it to be remotely convincing!

Sorry to double post, but in terms of how the Wayback Machine works @Matt.GC; it basically uses bots (automated software) that “crawl” the web archiving webpages at a certain point in time. These bots take snapshots of the webpage and store it so that it can be viewed later. It’s done this for years, hence why it has such an expansive range of sites and time periods.

I know the description I’ve given makes it sound very legally questionable, but it’s perfectly legal, and has been going for years!

Sorry to double post, but in terms of how the Wayback Machine works @Matt.GC; it basically uses bots (automated software) that “crawl” the web archiving webpages at a certain point in time. These bots take snapshots of the webpage and store it so that it can be viewed later. It’s done this for years, hence why it has such an expansive range of sites and time periods.

I know the description I’ve given makes it sound very legally questionable, but it’s perfectly legal, and has been going for years!
That's strange how that can be legal. I mean, I've just gone to Safeway.co.uk and browsed the 2003 offers. Does that mean I can walk into a modern day Morrisons store and demand that £2.50 meal deal their website advertised?

That's strange how that can be legal. I mean, I've just gone to Safeway.co.uk and browsed the 2003 offers. Does that mean I can walk into a modern day Morrisons store and demand that £2.50 meal deal their website advertised?
I don’t know if that would go down too well, I’m afraid… I don’t think Morrisons would be expecting customers to use the Wayback Machine. On a side note, I never knew Safeway and Morrisons were linked… I knew about Safeway Farm at Towers, but I thought Safeway and Morrisons were two completely different things!

In terms of its legality, the reason it’s legal is apparently because the Wayback Machine never claims to be a website, merely storing copies of a certain webpage from a certain point in time. Well, something like that, anyway.

Whatever it is, it’s apparently enough of a legal loophole that they can legally provide this service!

I don’t know if that would go down too well, I’m afraid… I don’t think Morrisons would be expecting customers to use the Wayback Machine. On a side note, I never knew Safeway and Morrisons were linked… I knew about Safeway Farm at Towers, but I thought Safeway and Morrisons were two completely different things!
Morrisons bought out safeway in March 2004. Here is a sky news article for evidence: https://news.sky.com/story/safeway-...arket brand comes more than 13,in a £3bn deal.
Anyway about the TowersTimes archives I've just looked at it seems you can't go any further back then 2004 and the opening of spinball whizzer. Funnily enough I did stumble on @AstroDan first post on the forum about half way down the page here: https://www.attractionsource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21091#top
I presume this is the same AstroDan.

Probably better to ask the question on the Towers Times forum surely?

i doubt Wayback is great at storing forum posts anyway.

Rideas and Towers Almanac were probably the busiest sites in the early 2000s though. Think TT came later on.

It’s the same as a real library keeping old actual paper newspapers in that respect. The internet archive is basically a library on the same way the British Library stores almost all published books.

Morrisons bought out safeway in March 2004. Here is a sky news article for evidence: https://news.sky.com/story/safeway-is-coming-back-morrisons-revives-supermarket-brand-after-deal-with-mccolls-10969671#:~:text=newsagents from January.-,The revival of the supermarket brand comes more than 13,in a £3bn deal.
Anyway about the TowersTimes archives I've just looked at it seems you can't go any further back then 2004 and the opening of spinball whizzer. Funnily enough I did stumble on @AstroDan first post on the forum about half way down the page here: https://www.attractionsource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21091#top
I presume this is the same AstroDan.
I think the member you’re referring to is the very similarly named “AsboDan”… I can’t see @AstroDan appearing until page 2!

I only asked the question on here as I know that much of the current TS team were on the original TT team back in the 2000s, so might perhaps know a little about this from when they were more actively involved with TT.

I think the member you’re referring to is the very similarly named “AsboDan”… I can’t see @AstroDan appearing until page 2!

I only asked the question on here as I know that much of the current TS team were on the original TT team back in the 2000s, so might perhaps know a little about this from when they were more actively involved with TT.
oh yes my mistake he's on page two with a much more respectabul introduction: https://www.attractionsource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21091&start=20
My apologies @AstroDan

Safeway was a PLC that came about when Safeway Inc, the American supermarket chain (that still exists in the US), exited the UK in the 1980's. They sold all their stores and the UK brand to Argyle Foods, a supermarket chain that owned the Presto and Lipton's (yes, the same brand that makes Iced Tea, although it was sold) chains. When they bought the Safeway stores off of Safeway Inc, Argyle changed their name to Safeway PLC and rebranded all of the stores.

Morrisons bought Safeway PLC (who at the time were a much bigger company than them) in 2004. Most current Morrisons stores were previously Safeway stores. And yes, it is the same company that sponsored the farm at Towers. Here's an advert just after they bought them

I know I know, I'm very sad and probably boring you but I do do this stuff for a living!

Anyway, I've seen a cheap buy one get one free on washing powder at Somerfield but the store finder no longer seems to work....

Man, why has it taken me so long to know this time machine website exists!
42a4889f4b29fb353642ed4945237356.jpg

Last edited:
oh yes my mistake he's on page two with a much more respectabul introduction: https://www.attractionsource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21091&start=20
My apologies @AstroDan
It’s an easy mistake to make, in fairness; I’d honestly made the same one before looking a bit more closely!
Safeway was a PLC that came about when Safeway Inc, the American supermarket chain (that still exists in the US), exited the UK in the 1980's. They sold all their stores and the UK brand to Argyle Foods, a supermarket chain that owned the Presto and Lipton's (yes, the same brand that makes Iced Tea, although it was sold) chains. When they bought the Safeway stores off of Safeway Inc, Argyle changed their name to Safeway PLC and rebranded all of the stores.

Morrisons bought Safeway PLC (who at the time were a much bigger company than them) in 2005. Most current Morrisons stores were previously Safeway stores. And yes, it is the same company that sponsored the farm at Towers. Here's an advert just after they bought them

I know I know, I'm very sad and probably boring you but I do do this stuff for a living!

Anyway, I've seen a cheap buy one get one free on washing powder at Somerfield but the store finder no longer seems to work....

Man, why has it taken me so long to know this time machine website exists!
42a4889f4b29fb353642ed4945237356.jpg

That’s interesting; thanks for the info @Matt.GC!

Glad you’re having so much fun with the Wayback Machine!

Hi,
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about this, as it’s not about TowersStreet per se, but I just thought this forum might be a helpful place to ask a question I have, as much of the TowersStreet team used to be heavily involved with TowersTimes in some capacity.

My question is; if I wanted to access the old TowersTimes forums (I’m talking early 2000s), what web address would I need to put into the Wayback Machine? Or is there a different way I could access these?

I only ask because I’d be really intrigued to see some of the discussions from when TowersTimes first came about (for instance, about the construction of Air, Splash Landings, Duel etc.), and Attraction Source’s current forum only goes back as far as late 2004 or early 2005.

You’re not going to get too much earlier I don’t think, although you’re not missing too much forum wise! Off the top of my head, the forums were at www.towerstimes.co.uk/forum and later at towerstimesforum.co.uk before moving back again.

Wayback will go to around June 2003, but you’re unlikely to be able to read too many topics as Wayback hasn’t archived/won’t load them. Your best bet is to just go through old topics on Attraction Source, despite it missing a year or so.