• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rare Credits

Rick

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Crux
We verged into this on another thread. Which rare credits do you count (or not as the case may be) on your coaster list ?

Thinking of things that were difficult to find operating, are a pain to get to, existed for a short time or have not existed for a long time.

I know @rob666 and @shakey got on the Reel, very jealous about that.

My top three would likely be ...

Skytrak at Granada Studios
Vertigo at Walibi Belgium
Flying Circus at Vidampark

Reactions: Tim
Belle Vue Scenic, in its last summer in the seventies.
Rarer than the Reel, but without the tears.
Soopa Loopa at Lightwater?
Or, just for our Rick, a nice Magnum at Mingo?
Then I feel a triple north westerly breeze...
What about...
The Texas Tornado, and the twin cyclones of Southport and Blackpool.
Breaking wind.

My rarest (and one of my most dubious) is the Tower Coaster at Zip World Tower - one of Wiegand's relatively new powered alpine coasters. I rode it during commissioning and it seems to have barely operated since.

Coincidentally, my next rarest (amongst UK enthusiasts at least) is another tower - Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City.

A personal raving non coaster favourite was the "Shoot the Rapids" at Belle Vue.
Sudden rolling on rollers drop onto a bouncing cloth conveyor belt at an angle anyone?
The operator at the bottom could alter the speed of the conveyor, backward and forward, and the angle of tilt, so you would slide down the canvas at a steep angle, then it would halt you, and shoot you back to the top again.
It was about twenty foot wide, and about the same deep, with offset cam rollers, so you bounced around, in a semi dark shed right underneath the Belle Vue scenic.
A space at the bottom to allow spectators the space to watch the next people down.
Crazy flat I have never seen before or since, about fifty years ago, best laugh I ever had with my elder brother in law.

I'd say The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley. On ome of my earliest visits it was closed so none my my family got to ride. Then go forward a fair few years and I got to ride it two years in a row. And now of course it's gone forever after being SBNO for a few years.

Belle Vue Scenic, in its last summer in the seventies.
Rarer than the Reel, but without the tears.
Soopa Loopa at Lightwater?
Or, just for our Rick, a nice Magnum at Mingo?
Then I feel a triple north westerly breeze...
What about...
The Texas Tornado, and the twin cyclones of Southport and Blackpool.
Breaking wind.
Great blog regarding Belle Vue scenic here with some very sad photos

My rarest credit is probably Scenic Railway at Dreamland, if we are talking on a global scale.

I don’t have any particularly rare coaster credits, in all honesty.

But in relative terms, my rarest would probably be either the two coasters I rode at West Midlands Safari Park, the Reverchon mouse at the end of Blackpool South Pier, or possibly the coasters at Oakwood (I’ve seen quite a few UK enthusiasts say that they haven’t been to Oakwood due to how far away it is).

Friend has got Jellikins Coaster at Fantasy Island as an adult. Short person privileges.

I don't think there's many rare ones for me. I don't have the rare counter thing on coaster-count anymore so no idea. Maybe Clown Coaster at Chessie but I wouldn't go much further than that.

The ride you get on Icon has always eluded me :cool:
I must admit that it does always feel like I’ve ridden a different coaster to everyone else when I talk about Icon!

Admittedly, my rides on it are getting longer ago in relative terms (my most recent was in 2019, so the best part of 5 years ago now), but I’ve always had such a fun time on it! Yes, it isn’t the most intense coaster in the world, but I’m someone who ranks fun and rerideability over out and out intensity as a general rule, and I thought Icon was a phenomenally fun ride indeed! I remember there being quite a few pops of really decent ejector airtime, some really fun twists and turns, some fun inversions, relatively good pacing… overall, I just remember it being a phenomenal ride!

It may no longer be my #2 like it was when I first rode it (and when I last rode it, come to think of it), but based on my memories of it, it’s certainly my favourite UK coaster, and it still sits at my overall #4 spot!

Out of interest @Rick, what is it that confuses you so much about my love of it in particular? As far as I can tell, I’m not the only one who rates Icon highly.

Loads of random little creds I've done have very little riders on Coaster Count

In terms of manufacturer, I've done Shrek Coaster, a Holandia Lunapark, (they don't have any permanent installations and seemingly very few travelling models), Wesley Gill's CAM Baby Kart (4 in existence permanently installed), 2 Cedeal Rides spinning coasters being Crash Test at Hull and Elf Coaster at Lakeside (Reverchon knock offs, no known permanent installs), the Meridian built Runaway Train, a Pinfari Nessi knock off at Bottons (only coaster listed as by them but nobody is sure of manufacturer, may or may not be linked to Big Country Motioneering and or Cavazza Diego) and I've done a Sartori coaster owned by Glen Smith at Dunes Leisure of which 11 were built, was due to do their only invert but it killed a girl a couple of weeks before I went to the park. Also got on the Miner Mike there, and broke it.

I've also done the quasi-reel at Joyland. Done Soopa Loopa like @rob666 but in is current home at Legendia, Poland as Diabelska Petla/Devils Loop, the only Soquet I've done. Failed to get the cred at Zatorland as that'd have been a bit rare. Also done an S&S woodie (Falken). If anyone can find out who built Morgawr in Cornwall it's probably someone weird

Rare mainstream models would be the Vekomas I've done, GIB (8 built), Enigma (2 built), Bermuda Blitz (1 built) and Wildcat (1 built)

Or this epic piece where there seems to be very few left. Yay Chance you lunatics.

312798354_439392818357085_7388447034289633247_n.jpg

Last edited:
Surely the rarest coaster has got to be BRAVA at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (Mass MoCA)? It's a temporary art installation that you can actually book to ride.

I must admit that it does always feel like I’ve ridden a different coaster to everyone else when I talk about Icon!

Admittedly, my rides on it are getting longer ago in relative terms (my most recent was in 2019, so the best part of 5 years ago now), but I’ve always had such a fun time on it! Yes, it isn’t the most intense coaster in the world, but I’m someone who ranks fun and rerideability over out and out intensity as a general rule, and I thought Icon was a phenomenally fun ride indeed! I remember there being quite a few pops of really decent ejector airtime, some really fun twists and turns, some fun inversions, relatively good pacing… overall, I just remember it being a phenomenal ride!
I'm going on it in April, so I will be able to rate it myself and see if I agree with you or with the majority.

Not a coaster, but I did manage to get on American Adventure’s short lived Flying Island. I’ve also managed do their Buffalo Coaster and Runaway Mine Train in both their original and later homes (Twinlakes and on the Mellors circuit respectively).

In terms of the more obscure coasters there’s this one I did a couple of years ago on a kayaking trip to the alps:

Surely the rarest coaster has got to be BRAVA at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (Mass MoCA)? It's a temporary art installation that you can actually book to ride.
Maybe, but I assume nobody on here has been on it, so it wouldn't appear on anyone's rare creds.