• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

RCT3... On the app store!

Burbs

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Iron Gwazi
RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3 has today appeared on the Apple app store, available for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. It's currently priced at £3.99 and contains no in-app purchases. It has been developed by frontier, and despite the app thumbnail, the graphics look very similar to that of the desktop version of the game, and slightly enhanced.

I will wait until others have downloaded and reviewed the app before buying it myself, but it certainly looks good!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id1008692660

:)

This is a very interesting development, but I can't help but think that it is rather strange for Frontier to put effort into this after Coaster Crazy which was actually a very good game.

Hopefully none of the customisation options of the desktop game have been lost, but whatever is left will no doubt leave a game far better than the mess that is RCT4M!

Having seen some more of the screenshots, it looks as though they've cloned the desktop version and put it onto a mobile device, but with only 5 scenery themes. The other problem here is that surely there will be no way to make or install CS for it.

Gave it a decent try this afternoon - it's not bad and it's the sort of thing you could put a lot of time into on the commute. Also seems to be quite kind on my iPad mini 2's battery.

Here's the dive machine I've built:

gikBkxE.jpg

Great stuff @Jordan, are there any features you've noticed on it that are different or new from the desktop game?

It appears like almost every feature from the original has been included in the iOS version - the management/finance/marketing screens, the ability to build buildings, all the different track types I remember. The only thing that looks to be missing is the fireworks feature, but I think that was a bit of a gimmick anyway.

The differences there are seem to be around the user interface: for example, the way you position things (eg. a shop, scenery, or the first piece of path or track). You now have to drag it into place and then confirm it, which is actually quite nice and allows a level of precision greater than just touching the screen and hoping it detects the right place.

Instead of dialog boxes for rides and scenery, a panel slides in from the right-hand side of the screen with controls, which is quite nice.

Firstly how did Frontier manage this, second how come I didn't know! :p

This is brilliant news. Sure it's the same old RCT3 we had over a decade ago but it still blows away anything currently on smart devices. Atari can no longer justify cash-ins like RCT Mobile while this is on the market.

I would buy it but I don't think my iPad would like me taking up over half a gigabyte. :p

I bought the app and have been playing it for a couple of days, and with regards to the game, I feel a lot more productive and original with the coasters than in desktop. Maybe because on the PC version I focus more on dark rides and theming. Regardless, I love it. Well worth the £4. :)