• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
easier than trying to fix the system, that I dont believe can be fixed now, as some will just cry discrimination
Absolutely, Anything they try to solve the problem will upset/annoy some people. They just need to find that right balance.

First of all, I think Merlin need a universal access / fastrack system across all their parks. In my opinion, the best system would be a virtual queueing system with a device such as Q-Bot or Speedy Pass. Disabled Access would be the advertised queue time at the time the ride is selected. Fastrack could be sold in tiers to reduce advertised queue times by 50% or 90% for example. The advantages are clear. If you are disabled, you are free to roam the park instead of standing in queues. Disabled access could not be abused to cut queue times as it would not rely so much on ride hosts as devices would have built in timers. The value of fastrack is more proportional to the queue times on the day. Disabled and fastack could share the same entrance as it would only have people whose devices have activated for the ride at that time.

Iv heard the qbot system is rubbish as it tells guests to come back at a certain time but they just ignore it and join the q anyway and wait, clogging the q line up while people whos time it is a are trying to fight past those that are waiting. o_O

This is all getting a bit over engineered isn’t it? Magnetic gates and turnstiles at every ride?

I feel like I am in a scene with these guys.

Z6LHuEQ.jpg

The qbot at LEGOLAND is a nightmare for quite a few reasons and on busier days where it is really needed it just doesn't work due to the number of people using it.

First of all, I think Merlin need a universal access / fastrack system across all their parks. In my opinion, the best system would be a virtual queueing system with a device such as Q-Bot or Speedy Pass. Disabled Access would be the advertised queue time at the time the ride is selected. Fastrack could be sold in tiers to reduce advertised queue times by 50% or 90% for example. The advantages are clear. If you are disabled, you are free to roam the park instead of standing in queues. Disabled access could not be abused to cut queue times as it would not rely so much on ride hosts as devices would have built in timers. The value of fastrack is more proportional to the queue times on the day. Disabled and fastack could share the same entrance as it would only have people whose devices have activated for the ride at that time.

I'm not sure this would work as people would still abuse the system, why stand in a queue when you don't have too? Any system will be abused while it is so easy to buy or fake a gp letter.

The only real way to stop abuse is to stop accepting dr's letters as proof of rap requirement and while some people won't agree the change to the blue badge system which allows more non mobility disabled people to have a badge is perfect. Just limit rap to those with a blue badge. If you don't qualify for a bb after the change or you don't have one, do you really need rap?

The qbot at LEGOLAND is a nightmare for quite a few reasons and on busier days where it is really needed it just doesn't work due to the number of people using it.

I'm not sure this would work as people would still abuse the system, why stand in a queue when you don't have too? Any system will be abused while it is so easy to buy or fake a gp letter.

The only real way to stop abuse is to stop accepting dr's letters as proof of rap requirement and while some people won't agree the change to the blue badge system which allows more non mobility disabled people to have a badge is perfect. Just limit rap to those with a blue badge. If you don't qualify for a bb after the change or you don't have one, do you really need rap?
Answer: yes.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

It's not a ridiculous suggestion though really. This system is used all accross London on the tube / railways. Either they hire someone to stand at the entrances or put in some kind of gates. (which don't need paying every year)

Ahh you see this is where it gets difficult. If after the changes to bb to include all disabilities, those who genuinely can't queue "should" in theory qualify. So why not? Why do some people only need help in theme parks and not in other areas of life? Bear in mind that even before the changes those that really need help to queue in every day situations could get a bb with social care supporting their application to the LA.

Ahh you see this is where it gets difficult. If after the changes to bb to include all disabilities. Those who genuinely can't queue "should" in theory qualify. So why not? Why do some people only need help in theme parks and not in other areas of life? Bear in mind that even before the changes those that really need help to queue in every day situations could get a bb with social care supporting their application to the LA.
Use me as an example, I only tend to have issues when In meltdown (last occurrence last year due to THORPE) or am in a tightly packed queue line.
I don't think I would be eligible for a blue badge even under the new rules, even if you go by my official diagnosis.
(Officially I'm HFA not aspergers-diagnosed before the guidelines changed).

I want to add, any system will flat out not work if it is over sold / issued to too many people. It doesn't matter what the system is, it needs to be limited to actually work.
I absolutely agree, spin ball and TH13TEEN in particular have had manic rap queues to the point I am questioning if the people in that queue need to be.

Use me as an example, I only tend to have issues when In meltdown (last occurrence last year due to THORPE) or am in a tightly packed queue line.
I don't think I would be eligible for a blue badge even under the new rules, even if you go by my official diagnosis.
(Officially I'm HFA not aspergers-diagnosed before the guidelines changed).

I've only quoted you to tag you as such. Do you not struggle in places like McDonald's, the cinema, bowling, school/college/work, train stations, trains, buses, shopping centres etc? Or do you avoid them to avoid the meltdowns? I'm assuming you have a carer with you to help in case when you're out and about in case you end up somewhere that would trigger your meltdowns? If you are avoiding other social places you're restricting yourself and you shouldn't have to. If so the new rules are for people like you who may need to get to a car quickly or get out of somewhere quickly to avoid meltdowns. You should contact either adult social care or the children with disabilities team (not sure on your age, cwd in some cases goes upto 25) nd explain and ask them to support your application for a bb so you can get out more and do other things especially if your behaviours harm yourself or others or you shutdown. If you're saying you're ok in every other situation in life apart from theme parks and you live a "normal life" then yes I think you shouldn't qualify for rap.

I've only quoted you to tag you as such. Do you not struggle in places like McDonald's, the cinema, bowling, school/college/work, train stations, trains, buses, shopping centres etc? Or do you avoid them to avoid the meltdowns? I'm assuming you have a carer with you to help in case when you're out and about in case you end up somewhere that would trigger your meltdowns? If you are avoiding other social places you're restricting yourself and you shouldn't have to. If so the new rules are for people like you who may need to get to a car quickly or get out of somewhere quickly to avoid meltdowns. You should contact either adult social care or the children with disabilities team (not sure on your age, cwd in some cases goes upto 25) nd explain and ask them to support your application for a bb so you can get out more and do other things especially if your behaviours harm yourself or others or you shutdown. If you're saying you're ok in every other situation in life apart from theme parks and you live a "normal life" then yes I think you shouldn't qualify for rap.
I tend to avoid McDonald's (apart from the staines one as that's not normally busy) and I end up travelling extremely early or late for cheap split tickets so stations aren't an issue.
I have in the past opted to wait till the next bus because of how packed it is (work were not pleased).

My point is I don't tend to have major issues unless something exceptional has happened (such as being accused of bringing a bomb in) or I end up stuck in a queue that seems to be not moving and packed in like sardines.

I don't have a carer because I don't need one, having someone with me isn't going to help if I'm packed in a queue line (and yes I have noped out of the queue before).

Basically if I don't need to interact with people I'm fine ;) the parks are exceptional case because it's my happy place so I do have a slightly higher tolerance then say McDonald's.

I tend to avoid McDonald's (apart from the staines one as that's not normally busy) and I end up travelling extremely early or late for cheap split tickets so stations aren't an issue.
I have in the past opted to wait till the next bus because of how packed it is (work were not pleased).

My point is I don't tend to have major issues unless something exceptional has happened (such as being accused of bringing a bomb in) or I end up stuck in a queue that seems to be not moving and packed in like sardines.

I don't have a carer because I don't need one, having someone with me isn't going to help if I'm packed in a queue line (and yes I have noped out of the queue before).

Basically if I don't need to interact with people I'm fine ;) the parks are exceptional case because it's my happy place so I do have a slightly higher tolerance then say McDonald's.

I think anyone would react if accused of having a bomb with them. That's ridiculous and dreadful customer service.

I don't think we'll agree and I don't want to keep going and clog up the thread with the same thing over and over. Many people avoid other people or don't go into busy places because they make most people uncomfortable and irritated who don't have a condition, it's normal.

I think our description of autism meltdown is different which is why I thought you'd require a carer.

While you find queuing uncomfortable, you've said yourself you can manage without rap.

You're demonstrating what I see as the issue with the system. People who can manage applying for rap.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.