• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The limit is for evacuation purposes (hence why disabled guests are put on the back rows).

Imagine the potential problems should 2/3 non-accompanied yellow bands be all on the same ride and suddenly evacuation is required.

I've actually got a question, can one book a 2 day carer ticket? The website doesn't give an option (nor for an evening ticket) which is somewhat daft. Especially if they only option is to risk turning up on the day with one pre-booked 2 day pass for her in the wheelchair and the staff utterly confused as to what to do in the current circumstances.

I understand that but in respect to the entirety of the park guest population if you are using RAP, flitting between RAP and normal queues is impacting the ride capacity for everyone else. By default if the normal queue is short so is the RAP queue so why not follow in the spirit of the system instead of effectively queueing for 2 rides at once?
Because only one RAP guest is allowed per train, the RAP queue can sometimes be longer than the main queue (this is mentioned on Towers' website). I've had to bail out before as there were too many other RAP guests waiting.

Either you need RAP or you don't.

It shouldn't be a case of picking and choosing between that and the main queue line. That's hugely unfair on other guests.
I don't like using it at all but my family tell me I have to because I'm eligible. Puts me between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. Plus I'm going in half term so I've had to get it otherwise my group wouldn't be happy.

Either you need RAP or you don't.

It shouldn't be a case of picking and choosing between that and the main queue line. That's hugely unfair on other guests.
Considering sometimes the rap queue is more then double main when main Is walk on its not exactly unfair IF the rap user isn't on a timeout- personally I try not to mix even if it's say just opened but that's for the routine.

I don't like using it at all but my family tell me I have to because I'm eligible. Puts me between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. Plus I'm going in half term so I've had to get it otherwise my group wouldn't be happy.

No, it puts you between a wrong and a right place. Only you can do the right thing if you do not need to use RAP.

Unless I'm missreading this you are saying you qualify for RAP but don't actually need it. So you use it because it is beneficial over regular queueing. That very much proves the point that they need to find a way to have a RAP system that is not advantageous to use but is merely a way of providing access.

Last edited:
No, it puts you between a wrong and a right place. Only you can do the right thing if you do not need to use RAP.

Unless I'm missreading this you are saying you qualify for RAP but don't actually need it. So you use it because it is beneficial over regular queueing. That very much proves the point that they need to find a way to have a RAP system that does is not advantageous to use but is merely a way of providing access.
That's what I meant tbh. Another problem I'll have is my group will be five people, so if we all want to go on a ride we'll have to use the main queue anyway, as the limit is 3 people accompanying an RAP user

I used to be really shy, not sociable and got destressed more easily. Over the years I've got better at managing this, partly because I've got more sociable and confident, and partly because I'm more into theme parks.

My family have essentially taken advantage of my eligibility and think I'm still entitled to it, not seeing that I've changed. I keep trying to explain about how the system works and that it's not a fast track, but my mum won't listen. I feel awkward and apprehensive using the pass, knowing I don't really need it, plus I'm always wary of people calling me out because I don't "look" disabled (I have a learning disability), so much so that I hide my wristband up my jacket sleeve and only get it out when I need to show it.

I did email Towers about this a while back, and although I got a response and they said they'd pass it on, I don't tknow if it got anywhere.

Last edited:
This is one of the problems myself and @imanautie have. We can get distressed in long/slow moving queues, but if a queue is short or walk-on we have no problem.

This

Because only one RAP guest is allowed per train, the RAP queue can sometimes be longer than the main queue (this is mentioned on Towers' website). I've had to bail out before as there were too many other RAP guests waiting.

and this

Considering sometimes the rap queue is more then double main when main Is walk on its not exactly unfair IF the rap user isn't on a timeout- personally I try not to mix even if it's say just opened but that's for the routine.

Just gives the impression that the RAP is being used as a free "Fast Track" as appose to accessibility. This is going to get peoples backs up and cause resentment towards RAP users.

Being eligible/entitled is not the same as a medical condition preventing you from using the main queue lines. It undermines the RAP system and takes away from those that are in genuinely need of the RAP. It should be more of doing what is morally right as appose to entitlement. It appears that your family are taking advantage of your disability.

Using any form of disable facilities should be based upon genuine essential requirement not simply used as a perk.

I prefer going on quieter days because there's less chance of me having to use it or even getting it at all, but for Scarefest I've got no choice but to go in half term. That's why I feel awkward, because I know I don't really need it but I'm essentially forced to get it for the sake for my family. Plus it'll be packed in half term, so I've had to apply for it. My mum wouldn't let me sort the tickets out til I'd applied for the RAP.

BBC are reporting that Alton Towers are going to update their disability training, and Hannah and Becky Cheetham have been invited back to discuss the problems they experienced. Also their YouTube video will be included as part of staff training.

I really hope they get to go and have a day like everybody should have and be able to enjoy themselves without having to worry whether they will be able to get on the rides or not. It's a shame it's taken this to be honest for some of the staff to be a little more compassionate.

Where’s mine and @imanautie invite? We have loads of suggestions
Same here :p
I sent them an email a while back which they said they'd pass on to management, but I don't know if anything came off it.

They should get an advisory panel together to help instigate positive change. I'd also jump at the chance. :)

From what I understand, Alton have a board team that specifically deals with disability consultation which includes a disability charity.

Unfortunately, if you are unable to walk, you won't be allowed to ride due to H&S and insurance restrictions. These will be out of Alton's hands and flouting these restrictions could land them in serious trouble if something was to go horribly wrong and not the rider.

From what I understand, Alton have a board team that specifically deals with disability consultation which includes a disability charity.

Unfortunately, if you are unable to walk, you won't be allowed to ride due to H&S and insurance restrictions. These will be out of Alton's hands and flouting these restrictions could land them in serious trouble if something was to go horribly wrong and not the rider.
Exactly. They said she'd been on Rita and others before, but I don't see how as she can't transfer unaided. :confused:
The staff should've dealt with it a lot better though, there's no excuse for that.

Exactly. They said she'd been on Rita and others before, but I don't see how as she can't transfer unaided. :confused:

The Smiler has always been you must be able to walk 25 metres unaided ever since it has opened

However with regards to the other rides, you used to be able to ride them regardless whether you need help transferring or not. Over the years these rules did change, but as far as I'm aware, they had change for a good few years now.

The rules are on their website as well as you would be given information at the time of obtaining RAP

ttBXTJD.png

The staff should've dealt with it a lot better though, there's no excuse for that.

Disable guest would have been given an information leaflet at the time of obtaining RAP, if they fail to read it or choose to ignore it, then expect the ride ops to step in and enforce the rules. The ride ops have enough to deal with, they don't need to deal with people trying to flout the rules. I often see ride ops shout across the tracks to other staff members relaying information, after all, there are guest waiting to ride the rides, they don't want to delay them any more than they have to.

Thanks for sharing that @RoyJess. It looks like the policy has changed over the years as I recall seeing disabled guests being helped directly from a wheelchair onto the train without any walking at all, i.e. the wheelchair butted directly against the train, but that was many moons ago.

I don't know when this changed but it's possible that's what happened in the Cheetham case? We don't know when their previous visit was, and that might explain how they were able to ride Rita before but not this time.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.