• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
*rolleyes*. I can't be bothered to comment other than to say come on Merlin, be consistent between requirements and your own rules and train your staff properly.

I always feel sorry for those at the severe end of the disability scale, they have a raw deal in life that many others take for granted.

At the end of the day, whether you are allowed to do something last season, last week, yesterday, an hour earlier, you should always follow and respect the instructions of the person currently in charge of an attraction. If something goes wrong, it will be on the ride staff head and not yours.

Being told that you can't go on a ride due to H&S is not the same as being told that you can't just because you have a disability. I'm sure that there are many able body people that also can't ride due to their size or height restrictions.

Back in the Tussauds days, guests in wheelchairs would wheel themselves right upto the train. They would then lift themselves into the train with help from their carer, who had to ride with them. I never recall them being asked to walk unaided.

I never saw an evacuation involving a disabled guest, but the intent was the medical and security teams would assist the carer. Maybe that's frowned upon now with manual lifting regulations etc.

Alton Towers should have a few trained staff who can help disabled guests in the case of an evacuation. I feel like the park could do more here, but has taken the easy way out.
They could but it wouldn't be Cheap getting staff trained up to assist at a level where insurance approves

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Alton Towers should have a few trained staff who can help disabled guests in the case of an evacuation. I feel like the park could do more here, but has taken the easy way out.
There has to be some staff somewhere, least you hope.

As the article mentioned, she spoke of how can they use the Sky Ride. Which is actually a good point, if it did have an issue which required people being winched out then how do they deal with a guest who is wheelchair bound?

As the article mentioned, she spoke of how can they use the Sky Ride. Which is actually a good point, if it did have an issue which required people being winched out then how do they deal with a guest who is wheelchair bound?
Me and spinball guessed they Toss the chair down then winch the person...

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

After reading the article again I noticed this paragraph:
"We spoke to the director of operations who said if the rollercoaster was to break down the only way he could get off would be to get down some steps, so he would have to be able to walk.

Sounds like Wicker Man was badly designed then. Also it doesn't explain why he was allowed on the Mine Train either.

As for SkyRide I don't know how they'd evacuate that. I wonder what they did when the station caught fire?

EDIT: Just Googled and the skyride was closed at the time

Probably the same way the winch would work in their home? (If required) so they would probably be a little more prepared than an able bodied person?

I don't see any difference. They'd be abseiled down like everyone else

I have no fear of roller coasters but getting stuck on sky ride fills me with dread(btw I’ve never abseiled )

Sorry to rant but dda evac would be more suited to sky ride rather than towers having the bad press of “disabled guest unable to evacuate from new ride wickerman “ left in fear for life!

I have no fear of roller coasters but getting stuck on sky ride fills me with dread(btw I’ve never abseiled )

Sorry to rant but dda evac would be more suited to sky ride rather than towers having the bad press of “disabled guest unable to evacuate from new ride wickerman “ left in fear for life!
I'd quite like to do that actually. Have never had the opportunity to evacuate a roller coaster before.:D

While some people are denied access to the rides due to evacuation purposes, looks like others are taking advantage of the system because it is not manage properly by the staff.

Gr38o62.png

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.