• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Why is it Merlin at fault here (I mean it categorically isn't, you'd be better arguing it's Thorpe/Chessie etc at fault, but it's not the group's fault), and not the individuals?
Fairly similar complaints about rap and paid for queueing products seem happen across at least merlin UK.
It seems like part of the problem is the typical lack of management backing for front line staff to be able to tell guests no which gets magnified when you have two different non main queues mixed together.

The last thing anyone needs is something that makes RAP look even more like the free fastrack it is often thought of being, and occasionally actually is. Sending people up the fastrack entrance gives entirely the wrong message.

Then when you combine it to the over selling of it at Thorpe it's a recipe for disaster.

Just because a disabled person is ambulant, doesn't mean they could cope with having to wait in a joint queue.

It works at Disney parks because their Fastpass isn't oversold and rarely has an actual queue (at least in my experiences, though most involve some queuing after the join).

WDW has pretty much made all their queues wheelchair accessible anyway.

I remember when Towers did RAP & Fastrack combined queue for Smiler, it resulted in a queue flowing out of the entrance and people joined the queue assuming it was the main one only to be turned away when they got to the host at the batching area!

It works at Disney parks because their Fastpass isn't oversold and rarely has an actual queue (at least in my experiences, though most involve some queuing after the join).

technically I think Disney Fastpass has more users than AT Fastrack. But Disney allocate very very little space to standby/main queue. Most WDW rides allocate 70-80% of spaces to people coming down the fastpass queue (which is in reality a mix of access pass users, VIP, breakdown recovering and allocated fastpass). Also their wheelchair and scooter users often can use the main queue so it’s only those who cannot wait in the standby queue for other reasons joining fastpass. Whereas Alton allocates a lot more capacity to the main queue in general.

technically I think Disney Fastpass has more users than AT Fastrack. But Disney allocate very very little space to standby/main queue. Most WDW rides allocate 70-80% of spaces to people coming down the fastpass queue (which is in reality a mix of access pass users, VIP, breakdown recovering and allocated fastpass). Also their wheelchair and scooter users often can use the main queue so it’s only those who cannot wait in the standby queue for other reasons joining fastpass. Whereas Alton allocates a lot more capacity to the main queue in general.
And add to that Disney's queue lines tend to be wider and heavilly themed, making it easier for people to wait long periods. Using the main queue means you get the full experience.

And add to that Disney's queue lines tend to be wider and heavilly themed, making it easier for people to wait long periods. Using the main queue means you get the full experience.
Maybe I've misunderstood, but this really doesn't sound like the basis for a valid argument... "We can use the main queue on this ride because it's themed and cool, but on this ride the main queue is dull so we've gotta use RAP". Err...

Maybe I've misunderstood, but this really doesn't sound like the basis for a valid argument... "We can use the main queue on this ride because it's themed and cool, but on this ride the main queue is dull so we've gotta use RAP". Err...
Boredom doesn't help with coping abilities, some people find they are better able to cope sometimes, but not everyone is like that.

That's not how I meant it. If there are things to look at/do while waiting it can pass the time.

Wider queues are surely worse, no? In my experience, the narrower the queue line, the faster the queue moves. On Fjord Rafting for example, the queue line cattle pen is so narrow that it's possible, even when full, to not stop walking from the start to actually getting on the boat. I'd always take a 40 minute queue that I know will move over a 25 minute queue where you won't.

Wider queues are surely worse, no? In my experience, the narrower the queue line, the faster the queue moves. On Fjord Rafting for example, the queue line cattle pen is so narrow that it's possible, even when full, to not stop walking from the start to actually getting on the boat. I'd always take a 40 minute queue that I know will move over a 25 minute queue where you won't.
Depends on the person.
For me if I can get somewhere I have a bubble of empty space around me I find that helpful.

And the major reason most Disney queues are wider is so wheelchair and scooter users can join the main queue

So here’s my big question on the whole RAP situation .

On here and the MAP Facebook pages , I see countless reviews from RAP users about how they were forced to wait in a 30 minute or longer queue *after* their waiting time . Does that not mean that , in this RAP queue, made up of people who can’t queue up for physical or other reasons , theres paradoxically 30 minutes worth of people all happy to stand and wait ... in a queue ?

As has been pointed out by many it shouldn’t be a pick and choose , either you’re capable of queueing or you aren’t . None of this picking to use the standard queue on shorter waits , or suddenly finding the 30 minute RAP tolerable because the main queue is 90 minutes .

The current system simply isn’t working and is far too open to abuse

So here’s my big question on the whole RAP situation .

On here and the MAP Facebook pages , I see countless reviews from RAP users about how they were forced to wait in a 30 minute or longer queue *after* their waiting time . Does that not mean that , in this RAP queue, made up of people who can’t queue up for physical or other reasons , theres paradoxically 30 minutes worth of people all happy to stand and wait ... in a queue ?

As has been pointed out by many it shouldn’t be a pick and choose , either you’re capable of queueing or you aren’t . None of this picking to use the standard queue on shorter waits , or suddenly finding the 30 minute RAP tolerable because the main queue is 90 minutes .

The current system simply isn’t working and is far too open to abuse
It's more complicated then that, I know there's been times where I've felt trapped in a long queue and suffer the inevitable shutdown afterwards.
Having said that I'm sure there are a large number of people trying to use it as fastrack not as the vital accessibility tool it is.

WDW has pretty much made all their queues wheelchair accessible anyway.

I'm not familiar with the Disney RAP equivalent, but at a park where fastpass is free at the point of use using the same queue for RAP is an entirely different proposition.

Unless I'm missing something surely RAP doesn't need to exist on rides with fastpass available if those rides don't charge for fastpass?

I'm not familiar with the Disney RAP equivalent, but at a park where fastpass is free at the point of use using the same queue for RAP is an entirely different proposition.

Unless I'm missing something surely RAP doesn't need to exist on rides with fastpass available if those rides don't charge for fastpass?
Disability Access Service pass (DAS pass) guests use either the Fastpass queues or disabled entrances at the Disney parks. It functions similar to the RAP in that guests recieve a return time for their next attraction after experiecing their current one.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

Fastpass is limited and can be fully distributed, DAS is like RAP in that guests return after the standby wait time has elapsed and therefore can be used in addition to Fastpass for those who cannot wait in a queue. For guests who physically cannot stand in a queue though Disney recommend wheelchair rental instead of DAS.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.