• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability/Operations 2022-24

Any idea why Alton towers are very strict when it comes to stay ons when it's quiet I've never seen anyone allowed a stay on even when the air gates are nearly all empty.

I'm guessing it's since the accident they keep to strict measures the upside is towers seem to have the best operations out of any other UK theme park I've been to.

Galatica can be hit or miss, Rita is usually predictably slow with the type of ride it is, Nemesis and wickerman are usually people eaters and all of the rest have solid operations.

The no re-rides policy isn’t related to The Smiler incident, it has been in place since at least the early 2000’s, if not even earlier.

As to why it is in place, I have no idea.

I don't normally post on these threads but this warrants it. Operations on Flavios today is the worst I have ever seen on a flat ride anywhere, ever.

I have to agree, the operations on Flavios are absolutely dreadful. I sent my kids on it today as it was listed as 10 minutes and the queue wasn’t even that long, I’m sure that it took more like 25 mins for them to get on it and that’s not from any kind of stoppage or issue, just incredibly slow operations. The period between one cycle stopping and the next actually starting seems very drawn out as if the staff are on a deliberate go-slow. I really can’t justify spending so long waiting for them to have a turn on FFF when you can just go to any funfair and pay £3 for a sizzler/twister and be on it instantly.

The no re-rides policy isn’t related to The Smiler incident, it has been in place since at least the early 2000’s, if not even earlier.

As to why it is in place, I have no idea.
Apparently the rides are too intense to keep going round. Doesn't really makes sense baring in mind the only intense rides on park are nemmy and Rita

Last edited:
Because "Proper procedures prevent a pee poor performance".
If you have a clear procedure for the health and safety of customers, it should be followed for each and every client, by each and every operative.
Compliance is a big deal when (insurance) risks to customers are concerned.
Some individual operators may compromise.
The real question should be...Why do other operators allow it?

I sat and watched Flávio’s the other week for a bit and the operations were painfully slow for no obvious reason, it seemed like the staff working on it had no urgency about them at all. It’s weird, I can’t think of any other ride at Towers that is like it. Can’t imagine how frustrating it must be waiting to get on (or off, for that matter).

Last edited:
I reckon the platform baggage cages blocking up half the exit on Th13teen are responsible for a loss of capacity of 50-100 per hour. The problem is, if the baggage store is closed, they need the platform cages.

Urgh.

I reckon the platform baggage cages blocking up half the exit on Th13teen are responsible for a loss of capacity of 50-100 per hour. The problem is, if the baggage store is closed, they need the platform cages.

Urgh.
Could they not use bins instead? They would take up less room.

If you have a clear procedure for the health and safety of customers, it should be followed for each and every client, by each and every operative.
Compliance is a big deal when (insurance) risks to customers are concerned.
Some individual operators may compromise.
The real question should be...Why do other operators allow it?

Outside of any ride where dual loading means the ride vehicle moves forward without the restraints engaged (and even then walking between offload and onload to the same ride vehicle is an option), I can't think of a legitimate health and safety reason not to allow rerides.

Outside of any ride where dual loading means the ride vehicle moves forward without the restraints engaged (and even then walking between offload and onload to the same ride vehicle is an option), I can't think of a legitimate health and safety reason not to allow rerides.
You mean separate onload and offload. Dual loading means two or more trains/cars loading simultaneously.

It’s a weird one that Thorpe and Chessie allow rerides (I’ve had it encouraged at both parks on multiple times before) yet towers is just a blanket no.

I do feel on very quiet days when the station is empty there should be no reason why you shouldn’t ride again. I guess if people keep doing it then the staff should be able to tell you to have a break, but I bet majority of people wouldn’t want more than a couple of rides in a row on a ride.

Rerides have not been allowed at Alton Towers for as long as I can remember, and the policy is very strict. It even applies to staff and cannot be overruled by management discretion either.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps there was a medical incident and reriding was found to be contributory to it happening. However that's pure speculation on my part.

It's slightly strange, as Alton Towers are the only park I can think of where such a policy exists.

Having said that, in the past I have had re-rides on the Rapids (when there's been no queue) and on Thirteen (where the bays were not full and they needed a minimum number of people riding to send the train).

It's slightly strange, as Alton Towers are the only park I can think of where such a policy exists.

Having said that, in the past I have had re-rides on the Rapids (when there's been no queue) and on Thirteen (where the bays were not full and they needed a minimum number of people riding to send the train).
Yeah I remember getting two laps on the Rapids on a few visits a fair few years ago.

I'm just assuming it's a policy for certain rides. Most people could re ride thirteen wicker man Galactica no problem. I think rides like Nemesis is where they feel re riding it isn't a good idea