• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability/Operations 2022-24

Yeah they must do. Track sensors surely have max operating temperatures.
Got bored and did some digging, looks like the monitoring system is the same as the wind monitoring one…

Photo from oblivions op cab

Attachments

• 79A8FC1E-5BD1-47CA-A0E1-05CBA3820F4A.jpeg
    79A8FC1E-5BD1-47CA-A0E1-05CBA3820F4A.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 50
The Smiler, Spinball Whizzer and Wicker Man are the only main coasters that I believe haven't closed at some point because of the heat, RMT and Octonauts also haven't. The other five have been having quite a few issues in the heat.

But then you think they would operate fine in places like Florida where it’s hotter for more days of the year …. Unless ours are built differently

But then you think they would operate fine in places like Florida where it’s hotter for more days of the year …. Unless ours are built differently
We generally get much colder than Florida, so we may be designed to go down to 0C but only up to 35C.
Florida doesn't really get down to 0C but would get to 35+ more often.
Different ways of building for different climates.
Or thats what I expect they do.

We generally get much colder than Florida, so we may be designed to go down to 0C but only up to 35C.
Florida doesn't really get down to 0C but would get to 35+ more often.
Different ways of building for different climates.
Or thats what I expect they do.
I think they do to an extent. It's why Taron often suffers in heat, because they asked Intamin to ensure it would be able to operate during cold winters (which it does).

It’s not that they are built differently, but there are a few things that are done based on climate.

1) Different oils have different operating temperatures. So extremes of temperature can stop the chosen oil working as expected.

2) Computer rooms will have cooling systems spec’d for the expected climate. In extreme heat the units are not as powerful as they ones for places like Florida so the computers can overheat.

3) Wheel compounds are picked for certain temperatures so in higher heat the trains run quicker and you get over speed errors, it’s a big job to change all the wheels of a train for 2 days of hot weather.

On a random note, I’d be intrigued to know; which rides on park do we currently feel have the strongest and weakest operations?

Personally, I’m not sure on weakest, but I’d have to say that I think Wicker Man is a possible candidate for strongest; it seemed to be struggling a little more on my most recent visit, with double stacking occasionally present, but in general, they do a phenomenal job, often getting the trains out right on dispatch interval!

On a side note, I discovered that Wicker Man’s dispatch interval is around 1m 20s, so if the ride consistently dispatched right on dispatch interval, it would get roughly 45 trains per hour or 1,080 riders per hour.

I know this because I’ve seen numerous occasions where the staff are holding down the dispatch buttons, but the system won’t physically let them send the train, and the fastest dispatches I’ve seen on the ride are the ones where a train changing angle on the lift hill crosses over the one in front hitting the brake run, and this interval is roughly 1m 20s whenever I’ve timed it using dispatch timer.

I hope you all find that bit of geeky info interesting!

I don’t time or anything but from an observation point on my last visit whilst queuing or in the relevant area - Oblivion and Rita were pretty bad, the best was probably Galactica.

EDIT: actually scratch that first bit, the worst ops by a mile, and I mean a country mile, is Flavio’s Fabulous Fandango. I don’t ever think I’ve seen a more badly operated ride

On a random note, I’d be intrigued to know; which rides on park do we currently feel have the strongest and weakest operations?

Personally, I’m not sure on weakest, but I’d have to say that I think Wicker Man is a possible candidate for strongest; it seemed to be struggling a little more on my most recent visit, with double stacking occasionally present, but in general, they do a phenomenal job, often getting the trains out right on dispatch interval!

On a side note, I discovered that Wicker Man’s dispatch interval is around 1m 20s, so if the ride consistently dispatched right on dispatch interval, it would get roughly 45 trains per hour or 1,080 riders per hour.

I know this because I’ve seen numerous occasions where the staff are holding down the dispatch buttons, but the system won’t physically let them send the train, and the fastest dispatches I’ve seen on the ride are the ones where a train changing angle on the lift hill crosses over the one in front hitting the brake run, and this interval is roughly 1m 20s whenever I’ve timed it using dispatch timer.

I hope you all find that bit of geeky info interesting!
I got 5 readings for each coaster today then took the average dispatch times to determine dispatches per hour. It wasbpretty much:
Galactica 40
Nemesis 39
Oblivion 30 (60 shuttles)
Rita 37
Th13teen 54
Smiler 48
Wicker man 46

Roller coasters can run in the 40+ heat it’s keeping everything else like control systems at room temperature is the problem. They only not allowed to run if it’s below 5 degrees for steel and 2 degrees for wooden coasters.

Been on the National and Revolution with a frost on too many occasions in Feb.
Coasters are set to run in a range of temperatures linked to the local climate, hot countries define different safe parameters...same as the "big" train rails.

Ride availability seems to be continuing to plague the park - Oblivion and Spinjam are yet to operate today, Oblivion has actually been closed since early afternoon yesterday. With Enterprise in pieces/dead, when The Smiler goes down then the whole area is down :grin: Hex is still closed, Funk'n'Fly has been closed for 4 days now and the Rapids don't appear to be on either

Ride availability seems to be continuing to plague the park - Oblivion and Spinjam are yet to operate today, Oblivion has actually been closed since early afternoon yesterday. With Enterprise in pieces/dead, when The Smiler goes down then the whole area is down :grin: Hex is still closed, Funk'n'Fly has been closed for 4 days now and the Rapids don't appear to be on either
Oblivion was closed all day yesterday

I just think ride availability is becoming farcical now - it seems to be one issue after another, in fact I don’t think there’s one day this season where every ride has operated at the same time. Even when Hex was open for its 10 minutes earlier this month Wicker Man was closed for re track work. Not great for them at all.