• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rita launch cable snap!?!

Hello Towers Street so today some people on park reported and I've been a pic, that Rita’s cable has snapped during testing this morning no one was hurt but she will be down for a few weeks, its the second time this has happed to intamin Pulley Launch coasters what do you think to this news? also do you think stealth should be check over now? also how can it fail there's so many computers checking all the time to tension and everything! what's you views will try and get pic soon,
-L.A.T

Glad no one was hurt.

It couldn't have happened at a worst time from AT's prospective, the start of the summer holidays.

No idea how it could f happened but maybe it just had enough, maybe a sensor broke.

I would have thought that each cable is rated for n number of launches, and that a computer would be keeping track of that number. If it is well within that safety bracket (which it should be) then something is seriously wrong... but at least if that is the case, the park is not to blame, as they will have followed Intamin's instructions.

Obviously it's too early to say exactly what happened yet.

I imagine they have a life expectancy, but sometimes things just break. Intamin or whoever they subcontract to make the cables should have quality control to stop defects, but unfortunately it seems they don't, as Rita adds itself to the list of Intamin launch coasters this has happened to.

siralgenon said:
Would this really mean it's closed for a few weeks? Will it not open sooner? :(
Even if they have a spare cable and nothing else was damaged, it'd still need a lot of testing and running in before being given the ok to open again.

Always a bit worrying when this sort of thing happens, especially since it's less than 48 hours since I last rode!

Rita’s cable is usually changed at least once during the season so it might have been pretty close to the end of its life. Does anyone know the exact dates of previous cable replacements?

RustyRider said:
How long was xcelerator @ knotts berry down for when it's cable snapped?
7 months...

But that was only because someone was injured.

I'd just expect a quick report into the incident, a new cable being ordered and delivered, and then some safety runs.
All this could happen between and estimated 3 weeks and a month and a half if my judgements are correct.

Any idea what happened to the train/passengers? There's a number of senarios that could have happened, depending on the level of momentum the train was able to achieve prior to the snap.

I'd expect the HSE to be involved in this incident. Barring unlikely sabotage, they haven't managed inspection/defect idnetification/service life on this.

Tom said:
Any idea what happened to the train/passengers? There's a number of senarios that could have happened, depending on the level of momentum the train was able to achieve prior to the snap.

I'd expect the HSE to be involved in this incident. Barring unlikely sabotage, they haven't managed inspection/defect idnetification/service life on this.
There were no passengers in the train at the time of the cable snapping, but, as for the train, I do not know what happened to it.

I highly doubt that there is any serious damage.

oh no, i wanted to introduce my daughter to the fun of Rita when we go in a couple of weeks :(

Longy said:
Tom said:

There were no passengers in the train at the time of the cable snapping, but, as for the train, I do not know what happened to it.

I highly doubt that there is any serious damage.

The ride was in operation, it may have been during ERT but it wasn't during testing.

Glad nobody was hurt but it's a major time to lose a ride just before the summer rush all other queues are going to suffer. Is this the second time it's happend to Rita I can remember it was down for a few weeks 1 or 2 years ago for Halloween ??

According to a very reliable source, the technicians at Alton have said that they have a spare cable which can be put in place very quickly.

Then, they need to test the ride and it could apparently re-open as soon as 3pm today!

Let's hope that this source is accurate once more...

I'd be a bit surprised if health and safety signed if off so quickly tbh... I'm not saying that it's not possible but I'd have thought that the park would want to do some form of investigation into why it happened etc before re-opening the ride to the public.

I doubt it will re-open again today. Usually when it comes to replacing Rita's cable the ride is closed for a day (I think) and it takes all night to replace it. I may be wrong but that is what I remember happening in recent years. Also if it did snap during operation with the public riding I'd imagine that some form of investigation will need to be carried out for H&S.

:)