• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Roads

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
Well we've had topics for many weird and wonderful things (AT related) over the years (or weeks if you only take into account this site :p ) but I don't recall seeing a topic regarding the roads or paths of Alton Towers.

Pointless topic? Nope. Some of the roads, particularly the right hand exit at the entrance/exit to the resort, need some maintenance quite badly. The road looks like an absolute mess and whenever you drive over it, it feels like some sort of earthquake is taking place!

We don't want to be faced with this in a few years...

pothole6.jpg

...do we?

Besides this, does anyone else feel like this bend could be a little less tight?

And also, something needs to be done about the way the lanes adjust from being two in to two out out of the three. Last year, upon leaving the park, we were driving down the middle land past another car (the lanes still being classed as two out) when we turned around the sharp bend above and had to slam our brakes on as an Alton Towers maintenance truck nearly obliterated the front of our car. To add insult to injury, the staff wound the window down and told us to... jog on (yeah, let's go with that ¬_¬ )!

Something needs to be done about the signs and road markings, as well as possibly adjusting lane usage times too. The staff should also most definitely be aware of which lanes are used for coming in and out of the park at all times of the day as well so that a potential accident in the future could be avoided.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some more signs putting up (or replacements of the existing signs) that tell people what to do in the lanes. I've lost track of the number of times that cars have driven into Alton Towers, come to a near stop before suddenly switching lanes without any warning, causing cars at the side and behind to take action. Although there are signs and road markings, it appears that working out which lane to be in and which lane goes where is still far too much information for some to cope with, so making the system clearer may help to reduce the amount of confusion upon entering the park. Then again, maybe it wouldn't?

One final point I'd like to make is about the possible addition of bollards along the entrance to stop people, especially taxi's, from simply driving into the park before stopping to let people out in the middle of the road, and thus, blocking those behind from getting into the park. It shouldn't be too difficult to work out that the 'drop-off point' is designed for dropping people off, however, there are some people out there that feel that they don't have to use it. Something needs to be done to stop people from blocking the entrance into the park as it can sometimes stretch back onto the main road (which I assume the residents of Farley won't appreciate either).

Anyway, discuss the roads and paths of Alton Towers here.

:)

Wow, this is sad! :p

Wasn't some money promised to be spent on upgrading the roads as a part of SW7 planning - to appease the council?

Would that not mean the public roads as opposed to the actual roads within the resort?

BigAl said:
Would that not mean the public roads as opposed to the actual roads within the resort?

I presumed it meant the public roads, I vaguely remember reading it was also back at the end of last year. It could be the roads inside AT of course, but that would really defeat the point of appeasing the council - AT are surely expected to maintain the roads within their land anyway?

Never though about bring it up as a topic before but I've noticed that the exit to the the resort is rather bad and often slowed down to about 10 MPH but it could come to a shock to those who are not aware

Coach Park / Entrance to Express Parking needs resurfacing badly...

Topics about ATR's road have been started in the past, the state of there roads are alot better than a few years back, normally once a topic has been started on here (TTF) within 2 weeks the potholes were filled...

They should look at resurfacing the Coach Park in September, when they close at 4pm it shocking how bad it is...

Tbh, compared to some roads Alton towers's isn't to bad... And I feel every bump and pot hole as I ride a bike....

Chessingtons exit on the other hand... No road what so ever, slip, slide and almost fall over... Dangerous...

Would make sense for Merlin to invest in that first

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The entire way people enter the park needs addressing.

The signage pointing towards the park needs improving. A bypass should still be on the cards.

The main road should have a center barrier and just use 2 lanes for going in and 2 for going out. Enough of the swapping lanes business.

A better drop off point with a pavement.

The road from behind duel to the car parks are horrible and not wide enough. Again this needs to be widened and with kerb stones.

The hotel car parks are mish mash.

There should be clearer paths for people walking from their cars to the monorail or a land train WDW system.

The way people walk to the monorail from the hotels should also be better.

The walking route from the park to the car parks and the hotels should be covered and lit.

The staff car parks should be out of sight.

The coach car park should be moved to the bottom car park and the waste land past HQ used for a KC expansion.

Kerbstones and road widths improved park wide.

A proper bus stop at the entrance clear for all to use.

That is all :)

- The coach park needs proper lines and pathways