• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

RollerCoaster DataBase (RCDB)

speedy

TS Member
There is a new experimental mode on the RCDB, as announced on their Twitter.

You can access it by typing "!new!" into the search box. Apart from the simplified style, there is a couple additions I noticed:
  • "World view" (https://rcdb.com/location.htm) it has some interesting (though useless!) stats on roller coasters by area and population in different countries. As much as enthusiasts moan about the coaster selection here, we actually are fifth in terms of number of coasters (I didn't realise this!): only China, the US, Japan and Germany have more coasters than us. The coaster density and coasters per million people for the UK are pretty high too.
  • The search box now has suggestions, and they're pretty neat too.
  • Mysterious login form, but no way to register an account yet... more features planned?

You can select dark mode from the icon top right, if that tickles your gherkin. You can also switch to pillarbox mode, if it's a bit left-justified for your liking.

I really like the search suggestions, so many times I've tried to look for something but forgot the name or spelling!

I've been doing the private beta for a while, the bugs have all gone now.

Got to hand it to Duane for the years of effort that have gone into the site. It's such an incredible resource.

Looks like the new layout will be especially good on mobile, and pillarbox mode is a nice option for desktops.

Intrigued to see what features might be coming with the ability to create an account. The ability to mark off the coasters you have ridden would be great!

An article on technology in this month's issue of funworld includes a section on RCDB. It states that "a pro version is in the works. Targeted to industry professionals, subscribers would be able to access data that is currently locked".

Hmm interesting, I wonder what that data is and of what value it would be to those who pay for it?

An article on technology in this month's issue of funworld includes a section on RCDB. It states that "a pro version is in the works. Targeted to industry professionals, subscribers would be able to access data that is currently locked".
That sounds weird, what sort of stuff would people a) want to keep secret and b) want to host on the RCDB?

I think counting coasters would be a nice option, but not particularly useful unless they start adding travelling coasters

I think counting coasters would be a nice option, but not particularly useful unless they start adding travelling coasters
Why? What % of your count would be travelling rather than fixed? Most large travelling coasters have an entry in there that you could use, anyway.

Olympia Looping, Thriller, Eurostar, Höllenblitz etc.

Why? What % of your count would be travelling rather than fixed? Most large travelling coasters have an entry in there that you could use, anyway.

Olympia Looping, Thriller, Eurostar, Höllenblitz etc.
Having done Winter Wonderland and the Hoppings, a few. It's not a big deal but personally I would stick with Coaster count

Looks like the new format of RCDB is now live for all, however there is now no option of pillarbox mode which is a pity for desktop users. Hopefully this returns, unless I am missing it?

It certainly doesn't look good on me iPrat. The text is almost off the left side of the screen.