• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Roughest Coasters

Harv

TS Member
What's the roughest coaster you've ever been on?

For me, its hands down got to be Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa. I rode last October and found it to be a real bone rattler - to the extent that it ruined the entire coaster. Hopefully I'll get to sample The Ultimate this summer so potentially that will be a contender for me. Having never been to PortAventura, I can't share in the Baco hatred but I'm sure its name will be thrown around a lot in this thread.

I guess this can be expanded to 'roughest rides' if you have any flats in mind, but using that as the topic title would only have invited the lechery that this board seems to thrive upon. :p

Roughest coaster I've ever been on? Well, it's got to be Baco. The launch is fine, and is probably the second-best bit of the ride (the best being the brakes, as the torture is finally over by that point). But as soon as you go into the first turn, the vibration of the train and the roughness is just awful, and you're just waiting for the ride to end. Another really rough coaster I've been on is Magnus Colossus at Terra Mítica near Benidorm. I went on this a few times in the summer of 2009, and it was truly awful. There were grip bars on the restraint itself and attached to the trains, but no matter which one I held on to, I still got bad vibrations and mild back pain. Not nice at all, and until I rode Baco, Magnus Colossus was my least favourite coaster. I'd also like to chuck Infusion and Grand National from BPB in as well.

For me the roughest coasters I have been on would be

Stampedia and furious bacco by far

Also Ghostrider at knotts, Gwazi at Busch Gardens.

I can already tell that this topic is going to turn out to be err... fun! :p

Hmmm, there are plenty of options out there. From what I have ridden the stand out contenders would be:
  • Baco (although inside seat on front two rows is actually ok)
  • The Ultimate, you can't deny it is rough!
  • Gwazi, just awful
  • Grand National
  • Any Vekoma SLC
  • Goudurix
I'm sure others will disagree!

:)

I'm a boring person and have not been on many coasters, so:

Colossus at Thorpe - Everytime I seem to ride, the more uncomfortable it seems to get.

Corkie at Towers - Whilst I'm glad I did ride it as I once rode it during its last season of operation, I can remember all that head banging...

Space Mountain at DLP - My shoulders didn't enjoy this one as I seem to recall.

Yeah, I need to get on more coasters :p

Grand national, thought it was going to come off the tracks at the top of the lift hill as there was a massive Kerchlunk, walked off with my boney back in agony!

I found Indiana Jones at DLP and Poseidon at EP to be particularly rough, though as you can probably tell, I'm not that well travelled!

Haven't been to many parks but I consider those rough, in order:
  1. Collossus-thorpe (still have a headache from this)
  2. Space mountain-DLP
  3. Rattlesnake-chessington (on corners and the end breaks)
  4. The smiler-Alton (only the end section really (but this might be because I don't want to put my face anywhere near the restraints))
  5. Rita-alton

Furious Baco, although last time I rode the Grand National above the wheels, I was in minor agony. Ghostrider is pretty darned rough too, and very much any 90s woodie follows suit.

While it's been put out of it's misery now, Eurostar, which used to travel the German fair circuit was genuinely torturous. I once witnessed one of the operators efficiently wiping the effects of a nosebleed from a restraint before the next dispatch.

EUROSTAR_Bruch2007.jpg

1) Baco - PA
2) Wild Mouse - BPB
3) GhostRider - Knott's
4) Green Lantern - SFMM
5) Grand National - BPB (this year)

I was only young when I went on the Corkscrew, but I still remember my head bashing between the restraints. But it was my first inverting rollercoaster so I loved every second of it.
I'm surprised by you guys mentioning Colossus (Thorpe). I found the seating position uncomfortable but the actual ride to be relatively smooth.

Probably a bit more controversial but my head got battered around quite a bit by Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios. Not sure if it was the coaster so much as the OTSRs but yeah, not pleasant tbh.

Probably a bit more controversial but my head got battered around quite a bit by Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios. Not sure if it was the coaster so much as the OTSRs but yeah, not pleasant tbh.
Talking about controversial, the last inversion of nemesis is the last place I'd expect to be rough, but when I went in April, it actually was.

I know, I was surprised to.

Gwazi was terribly rough when I last rode it. Goudurix gets a mention as well from me; pure evil and also the Big Apple coaster (formerly the Manhatten Express) at New York, New York.

Gwazi is awful - I blacked out on it on the two occasions I rode it. The Fire Duelling Dragon (formerly) at IOA is rough if I recall - may have seemed worse than is it in comparison to Ice which is relatively smooth.

Gwaaaaaazi. But then I've never ridden Baco yet...

Hate Space Mountain at DLP too - killed my shoulders. I am 6'5" though...