• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Safety issues

TPMC

TS Member
In this topic you can discuss all safety related problems/issues at Alton Towers Resort

First. Ist that safe? I did reported it to Alton Towers, but they are not really happy to sort that out! It is for ages like that as you can see in the google maps street view as well.

It is very close to hit somebody head! It is quite popular route!

620864_500097496680860_1366907468_o.jpg

664388_500097590014184_1919402035_o.jpg

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-
ash3/134691_503644736326136_1613133856_o.jpg
169909_503644916326118_1558263381_o.jpg

Pictures one, two and three made this look like a MUCH more serious safety hazard than picture four revealed it to be. I thought it was one of the lighting towers in the car park!

That's weird though, I don't recognise this archway at all. :-\

It's on one of the paths down in front of the Towers that splits the lawns into two. I remember seeing this at Scarefest and thinking it didn't look nice. I assume it will have been sorted during the closed season though :)

I think photos for street view has been taken around 4 years ago. So it is not fresh or new issue, as you can see it on street view!

I'm sure it will have been picked up by the maintenance guys and assessed when whatever struck it caused that. In all honesty, it looks worse than it probably is since the whole thing will be cast iron and unlikely to move much anyway since it'll be fixed into the ground. With the strong winds we had last year, it would've moved by now if it was going to :).

It was like that for the majority of last season from what I can remember, and with how strict they have been on cordoning off areas of damage I doubt it's a major problem. The delay with fixing it is more likely down to it being listed or something, although I'm sure a history buff could shed some light on it?

The problem exist several years!
It is not a best photo, but you can see that few years ago (when google street view visited the park) condition was exactly the same - damaged!

I am a bit confused now, as if AT ignoring this issue, can I be sure that everything else is well looked after?

screenshot20130113at232.png

I got email stating, that they will check it, but I've been to the park at least 10 times after this letter, and obviously nothing changed.

197362_500104346680175_191287906_n.jpg

I don't really know what to think about.

Probably because its safe. If it falls down and hurts someone, its Altons fault. They will answer to the consequences. No need to go on a vendetta against this archway

Fredward said:
Probably because its safe. If it falls down and hurts someone, its Altons fault. They will answer to the consequences. No need to go on a vendetta against this archway

Fair enough.

I know this isn't the most serious topic in the world, but this has made me chuckle and made me really want to find this archway now ;D

It does look tatty, and I wouldn't exactly stand under it in a gale! It's a bit out of place though isn't it?

Anyway TPMC, whilst I agree they should fix it, I just wanted to let you know it made me chuckle (in a good way of course!).

;D

We've really hit closed season haven't we.

Looks quite sturdy to me, can't imagine if it fell it would do much damage anyway. Certainly wont be losing any sleep over it, or emailing a certain H&S officer at towers.

Ben said:
We've really hit closed season haven't we.

Looks quite sturdy to me, can't imagine if it fell it would do much damage anyway. Certainly wont be losing any sleep over it, or emailing a certain H&S officer at towers.

Don't knock the legendary archway Ben.

I believe it is a portal to the old Sanctuary before if it ever becomes the new one ;D

EDIT: Can we call this "Arch Nemesis"? ;)

EDIT2:
To answer this though mate, being serious for a minute here.

TPMC said:
I am a bit confused now, as if AT ignoring this issue, can I be sure that everything else is well looked after?

IF you check the Alton facebook page, there are some amazing pictures of them doing deep maintenance on many rides. I'd be shocked if Alton didn't take guest safety seriously, the fact this is left is probably an indicator that they are busy with a no doubt exhaustive list of highly technical jobs. I can get right on Merlin's case about things, but I wouldn't let this be an indicator of general ride/safety maintenance.

Just added this bit as you seem genuinely concerned by that part. Many former, and probably present ride ops/staff are on these boards, they are good people who I don't believe would be such big fans in general if there was questions of safety or maintenance.

They will know more than me, but despite my having a giggle, I hope that puts your mind at rest a bit, I doubt anyone will say anything to contrary.

I think I've seen this topic before during the season, the poor arch :'(

I tripped over the path between Katanga and Gloomy Wood during the season, due to it being a bit steep. Shouldn't they flatten it, before it becomes a massive health hazard?

In all honesty, Towers are probably aware, but this arch looks like it has stood for year, and shows no sign of budging any time soon.

They should flatten it. It doesn't look good enough for the resort.

Get a new one (or paint it up. It's obviously safe and secure).

It's supposed to have flowers/plants grown up and around it. It used to look nice years ago.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Tom said:
It's supposed to have flowers/plants grown up and around it. It used to look nice years ago.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

It's strange though Tom, I just cannot recall going near it all these times I've been, and it seems it a very obvious place!!

And yes I can bet it looked lovely when it was in full bloom.

TheMan said it was a portal to Thunderlooper. He'd better be right ;)

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

Lol, this really is a non issue!! When I saw the first pictures I thought it was something huge going over a ride que or ride!! It's a small frame for climbing plants, not a load bearing frame!