• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Saturday, 25th March 2023 - a disastrous day

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
It is rare with 10+ trips a season that I find myself compelled to write a trip report for Alton Towers. But today was, by far, the worst day I have seen delivered by Alton Towers in the past five years and one of the weakest I have seen in all my visits. It's that old thing that issues never seem to be isolated, they snowball - and before you know it, you're looking at the watch at 4pm thinking 'how did I get here?'. Compounded by frequent showers throughout the day, I didn't see anything particularly positive from the park today. I travelled 40 minutes. Had I travelled the 200 miles that my partner and friend had, or from another part of the country - I would have been furious at the time, money and energy invested into a day which did not deliver anywhere near the experience that should be offered. This, after a largely euphoric day last Saturday when everyone went home largely happy.

We parked at 9.35am with minimal fuss and walked to the Monorail. Problem #1 presented itself - within seconds of joining the rear of the queue it was announced that the monorail was suffering a delay, and all guests were asked to walk. This then ensured that hundreds of guests made their way across the car parks and along the very narrow paths with traffic oncoming (it was peak arrival time after all) towards the entrance. After the 15 minute walk, with some showers, we made it to a very busy plaza where we queued 5 minutes for bag check before being ushered through the turnstiles. Things then briefly picked up, as we strolled down Towers Street, through Mutiny Bay and up to Katanga Canyon, where the Mine Train was advertised a 5 minute queue. We decided to ride before making our way up to Gloomy Wood. Nothing wrong here.

We arrived at Gloomy Wood in a shower of rain to be met with a closed Curse at Alton Manor. This wasn't a major issue, as it opened late last Saturday. However, it transpired that the ride had infact opened around 9.30am and had operated for the best part of 1 hour before closing shortly before we arrived. Either way, we stuck it out for 10/15 minutes before deciding it best to go grab a coffee in Forbidden Valley and returning to Curse at Alton Manor after.

We had our coffee and one of the delightful new cupcakes and sat for 1/2 hour, whilst checking the app to see that the new ride was still closed. We headed back over to Gloomy Wood for about 11.30am. We got back to find that the ride was still closed, and decided to sit it out for 15-20 minutes. However, it failed to open. By 11.50am, we decided to head to Mutiny Bay to grab a drink and lunch. The Welcom-Inn duly opened, and we sat with a pint and mused over the morning so far, desperately hoping that Curse at Alton Manor opened. We noted that Congo River Rapids, Battle Galleons and Spinball Whizzer (which we were aware of beforehand) hadn't opened at all, and Oblivion, Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure and Th13teen seemed to be suffering sporadic issues. Queues for the likes of Smiler, Wicker Man, Rita were over 1 hour at this stage. By 12.40pm, we decide to go and get some lunch. We were going to go for a pasty and wrongly thought these were available at Lunch Box - however, when we arrived, they weren't. No problem, we knew they were available at Corner Coffee. However, the hot counter there has been removed and replaced by a fridge. No pasties there now. So we decided to go to Eastern Express. However, the prices there are objectionable (£8-9 for a jacket potato, £9-10.50 for the wraps)... Rollover to the rescue!

By this point it was 1.45pm. We headed back over to Curse at Alton Manor to see what was going on. We joined the queue outside the entrance and waited 20 minutes. It didn't open. So we decided to head to Galactica, advertised 40 minutes. Battling the sporadic showery rain, we arrived at Galactica which was out the entrance, but 40 minutes was 40 minutes - and we wanted to remain reasonably close to Curse at Alton Manor if it opened. It quickly transpired Galactica was on 2 crafts. The queue moved slowly, but after 25 minutes, where we thought the queue would turnaround back towards the station... no. It was going all the way down the bank and back! Easily another 45 minutes after the 25 we had already waited! We decided to bail, as we didn't want to queue this amount of time.

Come 3.00pm, we had migrated over to Fountain Square. We rode Hex, which had a fairly short wait. It was pretty decent. But Oblivion was closed, Th13teen was open then closed, Smiler was 1 hour, Rita was the same. We then had slowly meandered for a short while before the rain came down heavier, so took shelter in Woodcutters. But as we only wanted drinks we had to sit outside at the tables, which were covered in previous guests' meals. We ordered on the website and drinks came in 10/15 minutes. There are new speakers attached to the exterior of the restaurant, but these were playing rock music which clashed horrendously with the heritage track playing loudly at the other side of Fountain Square. Who installed these!? Come on, guys... By 4.30pm, we decided to make our way down to Wicker Man for a ride. Thankfully, Wicker Man was the beacon of the day and was running three trains. We waited around 40 minutes, getting off by 5.30pm.

We headed for the exits quite honestly feeling that Alton Towers had failed in most respects to deliver a day out worthy of the brand, price and marketing power it has.

Main issues:

1. Oblivion closed for significant periods of time
2. Ride close 5.00pm in spite of 60 minute queues
3. Galactica on reduced capacity and queue times being massively understated
4. Curse at Alton Manor opening for a maximum of 1 hour during the day and not riding, countless guests were disappointed - was the app also not updating when the ride did briefly open?
5. Skyride, Congo River Rapids, Battle Galleons, Spinball Whizzer closed entirely (not including Nemesis)
6. Monorail breaking down first thing, causing dangerous crowding against traffic flow on the walk in at the top of the car park
7. Th13teen frequently closing, Fabio's Fabulous Fandango also broke down during the day
8. Get Set Go being closed for the vast majority of the day
9. Food choice in terms of takeaway offering is diabolical - there is just no choice.
10. Exorbitant prices at Eastern Express - £8-9 for a jacket potato, what planet are they on?
11. Horrible audio clashes at Woodcutters on Fountain Square exterior
12. Galactica queue line generally a bit of a state. None of the speakers work now aside from the covered queue line bit on top of the hill...! What have they been doing over winter!?
13. Many queue times wildly inaccurate. 50 to 100% more than advertised on some.

I can handle the odd issue, it is a massive operation to run a theme park after all - but when guests pay good money, travel for hours *and* it's raining, they really need to do better, When the weather is so mixed, people get ratty as it is - and Alton did nothing to abate these issues today.

Honestly? The park was lousy today and judging by commentary in the AT News & Discussion Group on Facebook, I am not the only person who had a crap day. Someone needs a kick up the arse and actually have the park ready to open at the start of the season. Maybe last week because I was so ecstatic about Curse at Alton Manor, and the fact I only really went in half the park and was just as keen to catch up with friends than I was to ride anything - I didn't realise.

:(

Last edited:
Sounds absolutely awful! You would not think reading that, that this is a park which has just had a 4 month closed season!
Did they revalidate tickets for paying guests do you know?

Sounds absolutely awful! You would not think reading that, that this is a park which has just had a 4 month closed season!
Did they revalidate tickets for paying guests do you know?

I don't know. We're just passholders, and left via Galactica gates.

The ongoing threat of days like this is exactly why I can barely ever risk the journey from Essex any more.

This makes for stark contrast against the day TPWW have been writing about having had at Paultons today. How can a company with such huge resources frequently deliver so poorly compared to a small family park? It's embarrassing.

The ongoing threat of days like this is exactly why I can barely ever risk the journey from Essex any more.

This makes for stark contrast against the day TPWW have been writing about having had at Paultons today. How can a company with such huge resources frequently deliver so poorly compared to a small family park? It's embarrassing.

This is it. I may well be relocating down south at some point, and the idea of travelling 3 or 4 hours to Alton Towers and having this kind of experience... it worries me.

There's clear signs the park is struggling. Monday the queue for oblivion was at least 25-30 minutes which is terrible on a 4pm close!

The price of food is through the roof. For two people at Pizza Pasta was nearly £30 with MAP discount, this is terrible when compared with the all you can eat Pizza restaurant myself and @Poisson ate in at Farup Somerland in Denmark where you can watch them make and cook the pizza to a much higher standard which only cost £45 for the two of us and food is expensive in Denmark too.

The lack of Monorail and Skyride quite literally add miles of walking onto a visit and make negotiating the park very difficult.

Towers is beginning to lose its shine again now and it's such a shame.

I just don't know why all these rides are not ready for the start of the season. You can handle one thing, but when it's so many you start to ask what has gone wrong this closed season?

Do the first few weeks (incl. buyout days) just not matter to them? I don't know.

A lot of these coasters are getting old now sadly.

Oblivion is only 4 yrs younger than Nemmy let's not forget. Won't be long until that ride needs some major work I'd imagine.

Thirteen isnt that old yet and is still very smooth but seems to struggle to operate in the rain which is absolutely baffling. It does have other technical issues too.

Spinball is old and needs taking down. It's had its day for me. It's rougher than an old pair of boots anyway.

Galactica/Air is 21 now as well. That's mental to think it's already that old. Again it probably will need some major work soon.

Im glad they have started to think about more indoor attractions going forwards. Not only does that improve guest experience on a wet day like today but I'd imagine it should help extend the life of your typical coaster too.

Curse shouldn't have opened at the start of the season. It's clear from the rides I had on it that they haven't finished as there's multiple blank spots that feel like they go on for a while. Don't get me wrong what they've done so far is good, but don't open a ride that's a work in progress. To me they should've opened it once the ride was complete, because right now there seems to be more dark bits in it than there was in Duel. I tried my best to enjoy the ride, and honestly with improvements it would be a very good dark ride, but I did come away a bit underwhelmed and not understanding the hype. I think the vloggers had me deceived thinking this was going to be a high level experience, but still a way to go with this ride. Not only have they opened an unfinished ride, but a very unreliable ride recently too. Its barely operated in the past 2 days. As for other rides, I think the only one I was surprised with was Thirteen being on 2. Slows down operations significantly, which on an off peak day doesn't matter but I can imagine it was frustrating for those there today. Galactica operations have been sub par for years and I rarely ride it anymore as a result of long slow tedious queues for it. Seen it running on 2 craft far more than 3, and yet the difference is unbelievable. When it's running properly on 3 it's like a different ride. Also Spinball not open until April? Unacceptable that is. Yes it was open at christmas but its been open at christmas for a few years so why are they so behind with maintainence on it.

This sounds like an awful day. Where The Magic Never Ends?! It didn’t today, by the sound of things.

This is what happens with Nemesis closed, a lot of people would’ve been on that today, thus making other ride times better.

Advertised queue times being out by a factor of 2 is something they really need to get a grip on. It seems that when rides are on reduced capacity the staff just don't really how depressingly slowly some of the queues move. Looks like this was the case on both Thirteen and Galactica today.

In previous years you could always try to do tick off of the more problematic rides early on and do the likes of Nemesis, Galactica, Duel, Hex and Spinball in the middle of the day. Of those, one is closed all season, one is yet to open, one is suffering from severe reliability issues and one is on reduced capacity. Doesn't leave much you can just reliably "nip on".

Worst visit I've had in years.

Didn't get on Alton Manor which was the main expectation of the day. There's unreliable and then there's unreliable. Oblivion and Air were unreliable but the majority of people still got on them in their opening weeks. They really shouldn't be running a nationwide media campaign on something that's clearly not ready to operate. Should've deferred opening until May.

The weather yesterday was awful with frequent torrential downpours and that was the backdrop for all the issues that Dan identified. You might expect one or two things to go wrong but when they cascade with one thing after another you end up leaving the park resenting the whole experience. Not impressed at all.

Staggered at how they are so unprepared for the start of the season then I remember the trip I had a couple of weeks ago for blue light card day. Their capacity was 6-8k and the availability and operations were shockingly bad.

If they can’t get rides open on time then they should plan to be in an hour earlier to iron out the creases. That would apply in most industries.

They’ve had months to prepare, to charge full prices and not have everything available isn’t fair.

Problem is Merlin/Alton Towers don’t care. They will still get people through the door and still take your money. Because Merlin have the vast majority of the biggest parks in the UK there isn’t enough competition for them to listen. This wouldn’t happen in any other country.

Most important thing, let them know how they did.

So sorry to hear about yesterday Dan. A friend of mine is travelling up to Towers from the south next weekend with her kids who have autism, and I am really worried for them after yesterday. They've got a 4-hour drive too. Been giving her loads of advice and will be on-call next weekend if she has any questions.

You are absolutely right that this is an unacceptable experience for someone who's travelled for hundreds of miles and most likely paid to stay overnight somewhere. I'm not local and although I have an annual pass and stay with family I have a 300-mile round trip to come to Towers which in itself is a significant fuel cost.

I was there on opening day and it was a really positive atmosphere due to the new ride, however even then there was a distinct lack of ride availability - no Nemesis of course, no Spinball, no NST yet and no Skyride. This severely limits your ability to hop about the park to chase low queue times especially if you only have one and a half knees like I do right now. I didn't step into X-sector all day because it was just too difficult to get to from the Alton Manor side of the park where the group had tended to gravitate. Queues were long and slow-moving: Galactica never got below an advertised queue time of 70 minutes all day (except briefly 69 minutes at one stage!) and it was probably more in reality. Actual queuing time for CRR was around double what was advertised with half the boats of the circuit not operational and the others being sent less than half full. Thirteen was up and down all day, presumably due to the usual weather issues.

I managed one coaster last weekend. Much as it was nice to catch up with people and enjoy the new Gloomy Wood area - and tbf I did get to ride Alton Manor twice - that's not really enough to justify a £50 fuel bill.

Advertised queue times being out by a factor of 2 is something they really need to get a grip on. It seems that when rides are on reduced capacity the staff just don't really how depressingly slowly some of the queues move. Looks like this was the case on both Thirteen and Galactica today.

In previous years you could always try to do tick off of the more problematic rides early on and do the likes of Nemesis, Galactica, Duel, Hex and Spinball in the middle of the day. Of those, one is closed all season, one is yet to open, one is suffering from severe reliability issues and one is on reduced capacity. Doesn't leave much you can just reliably "nip on".

Runaway Mine Train doing the heavy lifting of being something worth going on with a 20 min queue. Not ideal as that's still on a shortened train.

Sounds like a horrible day @AstroDan! I live about a 5 hours drive from the park, and to have that sort of day would be disastrous to say the least. I think that all Alton Towers rides should have the accurate head-counting software that SAW: The Ride does, so queue times wouldn't be so incorrect.

Last edited: