• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2013: Discussion

PG Ricey

TS Member
Now I know your all thinking this is probably a bit to early to be startling this topic, but what can I say I'm theorising next years layouts and attractions already!

I'm hoping carnival gets the attention needed, I'd like to see it become a quality 'scare attraction' rather than an experience which it currently feels like.

The sanctuary wil probably return with a few changes and improvements, bringing another year of a fantastic maze IMO.

TOTT will hopefully finally get an overhaul to re set the standard for uk mazes and prove that the towers can still utilise the massive space for such a quality attraction!

However as you can see the title is 2013+ as I want to discuss what will be the new themed lodges and the chance of having not only scare rooms but whole scare lodges! Can you imagine the thought of being out in the woods being tormented in a pitch black lodge it Woolf be truly terrifying!

I also imagine carnival to be pretty much boring the the public by then, hopefully towers will realise only a selection of people find clowns scary which means if you don't mind clowns then the maze isn't really that sinister. Anyway I'm guessing I've rambled on to long anyway you can see the excitement scare feast puts on me already!

The lodges are for 2014, no?

EDIT: I see you're talking FURTHER than 2013, so this may be worthy of discussion, however I have no further input! Whoops!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the zombie scare zone needs a bit of TLC it seems to of got mainly negative reviews from what I have seen this season. I think they should open it up a bit more, instead of the scare zone being basically a small maze turn it into a more focused street theatre. For example turn a whole area into a scare zone, say for demonstration per poses x sector.

Have actors and props walking around the area interacting with guests. Use the props and budget to theme the areas in a more Scarefest eek way.

I think increasing the scale like that would make it much more interesting and less like a maze that ran out of money.

I'm wondering if The Sanctuary will stay the same once SW7 opens. I'm guessing it will open just with a few changes to reflect the opening of SW7.

I too be honest think that Carnival Of Screams will not return next season. 3 years running and theres not much they can do in 2013 to WOW us? Does anyone agree?

I agree that its limited with what they can do to it because i don't really think it will work with a storyline????

But it was without a doubt my favourite maze this year... So i hope it stays another year, i also don't think they will introduce another new maze a year after they have put on the new Sanctuary.

I can see them stretching Carnival of Screams to last next year. TOTT will most certainly get an overhaul next year. I doubt they will change two mazes in the same year so Carnival will most likely stay the same and then be changed in 2014.

I think Carnival will stay as its a very broad theme for a maze and they spent a fair bit on that entrance feature, I think next year will be a TotT refresh and if they can get the budget a 4th maze. The new team behind the maze are very enthusiastic about the product and I think they will want to expand it.

They need a "Monster" maze.

Things like minotaur & labyrinth (enclosed) would by far, be the most terrifying maze at scarefest! The feeling of being chased by something unknown could be really scary! This type of thing would be a good replacement for Carnival of Screams.

;)

Surely with lodges in a forest, they can muster up a "Dark Forest" Theme.

Imagine walking back to those, in pitch black (H&S permitting of course ha-ha), opening your little cabin, to find a wraith waiting behind the door.

I don't find scare mazes scary, but I reckon a more open, less controlled environment like that would even get me edgy!

Of course, Diogo would just kill them ;D

ThemeParkJack said:
I too be honest think that Carnival Of Screams will not return next season. 3 years running and theres not much they can do in 2013 to WOW us? Does anyone agree?

I'll be suprised if Carnival goes next year, it was by far the best maze of 2012 ( for me anyway ). I think TOTT could leave next year, hopefully taking zombies! scarezone with it, maybe give zombies a complete overhaul, unlike this year where it was simply relocated to a new area that for me felt a whole lot smaller than last year and nowhere near as good.

As for The Sanctuary, i wouldn't mind if it made a return for next years scarefest, i don't think it will though, it seemed it was only used this year as a way to market SW7, though i could be wrong. There seemed to be a lot of positive reviews about it, there was from me anyway, so i guess there's always a chance it good well be here next year too.

TotT won't go it will just get a reincarnation (much like moving from bloodfest banquet to What lies within). Zombies is bigger this year but its not as good as 2011 unfortunately. They will work Sanctuary into a post SW7 story as they have spent quite a lot on the theming within.

TOTT is by far the most popular maze this year. I still don't think its the best there by far. i'd hate too see it go but its just too popular to leave! As for Carnival, well theres not much too say. I just think it won't return next year as theres not really much they could do too make it better. I think it would be better too get rid and make a new maze.

Sanctuary i think will return just for next year as its post advertising for SW7 but don't reckon it will come back in 2014 like most mazes that stay for a 3+ year stay.

The Sanctuary will most definitely return, without a doubt. Carnival is tricky to say right now, it was good in 2010, when people didn't know what to expect, but now everyone gets the picture. It's got the same effects, same actor style clothing, and mainly not scary at all. However, It's a good maze. Terror of the Towers really needs some editing! Scenes need changing, and to be honest, a total re-theme. But with Merlin cutting most event budgets, like last year and surprisingly this years too, it's unlikely the park will change anything, as they will have to buy new themeing again, which is going to cost a bit, along with lighting, and other mazes. Every year, it seems the same at Scarefest, in the long run i'd love for them to change the name, and change Towers Street themeing, however i feel i'm thinking a bit beyond here. Haha. I know they look at the Forums though, as HOS looks at them quite regularly, as I found out recently;) I wish the'd bring back a Scarefest like 2010, that was mind-blowing.

Again number one Merlin hater here but they don't just slash budgets, everything will depend on how well Towers meet their first half targets next year and how much they made on mazes this year. The mazes make money so they will get budgets, just like the hotels Scarefest budget was fine this year because they meet target.

My prediction for 2013 is:

- Sanctuary will return with a small story update and improvements but mostly the same maze.
- TotT will get a refresh, some existing scenes may survive but it will get a big overhaul.
- Carnival will stay, hopefully with an improved story and finale.
- IF budgets are increased then they will get a 4th maze, potentially on the other side of the park.

I really hope Sanctuary gets a shuffle and some form of an ending.

It was a massssssive let down for me.....

Carnival was top notch, best of the year for me.

Equinox said:
I really hope Sanctuary gets a shuffle and some form of an ending.

It was a massssssive let down for me.....

Carnival was top notch, best of the year for me.

See for me Sanctuary was the best and Carnival the worst so I don't think they will ever produce a maze that pleases everyone. Sanctuary can be improved though.

I can see Carnival lasting quite a while tbh, if they can make a few alterations next year, and as long as its strong as it was this year I can see it being a major crowd pleaser. It was running brilliantly today, I was chased right out the maze, by 2 of the actors through the busy crowds all the way to the sales desk... (I hate clowns!)

EDIT: However, for the times when the actors dont really bother with the ending and theres that room with props and some poor animatronics, I highly suggest Alton consier getting one of these for a final jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Z7HY9Gt9Y&feature=relmfu

I was wondering could zombies work in Haunted Hollow, next year? It could sort of go along the storyline of Duel. That end of the park should get something next year, as all the mazes this year where near each other. I feel they should bring back Duel live next year as it was really popular by the sounds and was a refection of how the Haunted house was meant to feel like. Is it possible to find area for a maze this end of the park?