• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2023

Hazza

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Belvoir Manners
I know it early but this year's Scarefest was a disappointment for many people with 3 returning mazes that have been in the park for 4 or more year and 1 new audio attraction that got poor reviews. What do we want to see in 2023 to rectify and rebuild Scarefest to its former glory?

I personally want to see scare zones reintroduced to the event, they add a lot of atmosphere from what I've heard from people (my first year was 2019 when they had just got rid of scare zones). I also want to see Mine tours and the invitation to be removed from the lineup and 2 new mazes to come in (Darkest depths is an amazing maze and I have a soft spot for the Attic as it was my first ever maze). I just hope that the new maze (or mazes) are long like the ones at xtreme scream park.

What do you think?

I think by age Mine Tours would be first to go and I can’t see The Invitation returning. So that would leave two attractions to fill, whether they fill both or save money with just one new maze I don’t know. I definitely think scare zones need to return (just looking at Thorpe’s success with these shows)

I spoke to a member of staff yesterday who was a nice chap he was doing a couple rides before his shift, he said he worked in scaremazes and how fun they were to work with.

He also said it seemed like Altonville mine tours will not be returning and will be getting a new maze and that it looks like the invitation will be returning unfortunately.

Obviously this is basically just speculation, I was told by a staff member that Nemesis would close in late August/Early September and was also told wickerman would not open for the rest of the season so I never take it for gospel.

I mean where do I start on how to fix scarefest? I would almost scrap the lot and start again if I had my way.

- Scaremazes need a complete refresh, I could happily see all four go and wouldn’t be bothered, I can’t see it happening but surely there has to be some major changes.

- Scare zones. These have got to come back! Towers apparently said kids get scared in them, so they need to bring back the ones which can be avoided if they are worried about they, such as zombies and scary tales. So if you don’t want to do them, you can walk past the other way.

- Roaming ents. We had a bit of this last year but there was zero ents this year across the park. I would love to just see more of these across the park, what happened to the spooky pirates, galactica airways staff, etc.

- Alton Ancestors. I do enjoy these but again they seem a bit same old every year. Also there’s never any official timings for when you can find them. So I would advertise them better, and also do more than one showing on the main stage of their final show, as that one is great.

- Stage. I enjoyed the stage this year, the singers were good and the general kids shows were fine, however I would add an Oktoberfest style compare to the stage. As it just feels a bit flat between the different acts. I would have also added the band from Oktoberfest to the stage for a bit more variety. And finally cover a bit of the lawns up for scarefest as by the end of the event they were proper moody near the stage.

- Theming. It actually seems to get less each year. Other than Towers Street there is no theming across the park. What’s happened to the bunting in fountain square? Speaking of fountain square this always feels like a wasted space and could definitely be used for scarefest for something.

- Music. There was a few years back when they would change music across the park in the evening to make it a bit spooky, but this seems to have stopped. The likes of Galactica and dark forest had music for scarefest. It never feels very spooky as you enter Katanga Canyon to the jolly music. I would create some spooky versions of the general tunes that play across these areas for scarefest. And not just play the towers street music everywhere as that does get a bit repetitive.

Scare mazes arent really that enjoyable once you've done them once in my opinion. The unknown factor is what makes them 'scary' although tbh I usually find myself laughing mostly in scare mazes anyway. It really takes something extremely intense to make me go white and clammy. Nothing Towers have ever come up with has got close.

Halloween Horror Nights was the same. Immensely impressive atmosphere and great to look at but I didn't get scared in any of the houses really. Enjoyed the event though.

Maybe I just don't frighten easily though as I have seen many people come out looking terrified in fairness.

Scarefest is a pretty dreadful event though. Judging by my visit this year...most people were there for the coasters in the dark including us.

The funny thing is I went to GYPB for their Halloween Event and THAT was better than scarefest for God sake. 110 times better. Towers really need to sort out roaming entertainment and scare zones. Of course the Scarefest Mazes are great but need a refresh. Towers need to take a big Look at the event.

The thing about Scarefest is they have chipped away and cut back on it year after year. It must be hitting home with them this year as I have never seen so many complaints about it before.

Scarezones need to be brought back these really did add to the atmosphere. Stick more smokes machines, lights and projections around the park. Look at the Haunted House this year it looked the best it has so far lite up and yet it was closed. Will they light it up in 2023 ???

Mazes definitely need a refresh and they need something free for all. I though Scary Tales was a pretty good walk through.

Whatever happens the whole event needs a full refresh and something with a wow factor.

The event felt very stale this year, and with the exception of 2014 where there were only two mazes, it was the weakest event since Scarefest's inaugural year in 07. 2015 saw the introduction of two new mazes, however, so hopefully it'll get a similar refresh next year.

I'm convinced this is because of a restrictive budget rather than lack of ideas, and possibly because more of the budget has gone towards the live shows which offer a more rounded, family experience. I like the live shows, and yes Alton tries to cater for everybody, but those mazes aren't meeting the needs of the more hard-core thrillseeker in the same way that Smiler/Nemesis/Oblivion do on the coaster side. They're all too easy for most of us now, I know people still get scared/jumpy, but I think the audience is ready for the boundaries to be pushed a little further.

I'd love four new mazes and an additional fifth (outdoor, please), but it's not going to happen - it doesn't make sense from a financial/budgetary perspective, nor a marketing perspective (otherwise - for the next 4 years, they'd just be marketing the same 4 mazes with no new experience).

Realistically, two could be replaced. Invitation needs to be uninvited, whilst I fear AVMT - although still my favourite - could be heading for the chop.

Attic is stale now too - if I am right, 4 appearances ranks it as Alton's joint 5th longest-serving maze, tied with Carnival and Boiler House, and behind TOTT WLW, Darkest Depths, AVMT, and Sub Species (although I may have got that wrong). Unlike AVMT which does have a little more "re-rideability" than your average maze, Attic is one of those where - after two-three goes - as beautiful as it is - it's not offering much.

EDIT: I say all the above - as we all do - with the caveat that we don't have the insights that Alton may have RE the sales, popularity and feedback on their mazes. Someone I work with actually really enjoyed The Invitation, and she's not an enthusiast I.e., she is part of the 98%, however, my instinct would be that, generally, it wouldn't be as popular as the other three.

Also, I just thought, I'm sure they've done the research on this, but I would love to see a full-scale halloween event with 8+ mazes - they'd have to charge £50+, I wonder if it would have the required demand? Perhaps £30 for 4 mazes, £50-£55 for 8. It could then be more of a park-wide event, 3 in The Towers, 1 in FV, another on the West, 1 where DD is, and perhaps a couple at the Hotel open til 11pm. It was great fun ending your day at BH / Field after a full day on park.

Last edited:
As much as I loved Mine Tours this year it needs to go now, would also happily drop Invitation for a couple scare zones. 4 scare mazes/experiences was never really necessary

The most important thing for this year's Scarefest is definitely the removal of the Invitation. (I didn't go in it but I went on The Terminal at Thorpe so I think I essentially know what it was like).

AVMT, despite apparently being the best out of the bunch, has been at Scarefest for 7 years, so I think it is time for a replacement.

The Attic and Darkest Depths I think should stay because they both seem to be highly themed story based experiences. Also, Darkest Depths is like an entry level maze for people just getting in to mazes, which is another reason why it should stay.

I really hope that the free scare zones return. I have heard great things about both Zombies and Scary Tales, and my experience in the great scare zones at Thorpe Park Fright Nights really make me want the scare zones back at Alton.

Looking at videos, the theming at Scarefest 2022 really seems to have been lacking outside of Towers Street, which I hope can be improved for Scarefest 2023.

There seemed a lot of negativity for 2022 - I really hope Towers / Ents have listened.

Primary Focus:
- New mazes! For the love of god, stop wheeling out the same mazes. Utilise the Towers properly.
- Bin the audio maze.

Secondary:
- Free things, an event isn't really that if there is nothing included. Scare Zones or one shorter maze would be fine. Ideal, multiples of these.
- Theming. Just some. Any.

Keep:
- The stage shows, its some entertainment that's at least included.

Potential additions:
- A hotel or "alternative" maze - something exclusive for the resort guest.

There seemed a lot of negativity for 2022 - I really hope Towers / Ents have listened.

Primary Focus:
- New mazes! For the love of god, stop wheeling out the same mazes. Utilise the Towers properly.
- Bin the audio maze.

Secondary:
- Free things, an event isn't really that if there is nothing included. Scare Zones or one shorter maze would be fine. Ideal, multiples of these.
- Theming. Just some. Any.

Keep:
- The stage shows, its some entertainment that's at least included.

Potential additions:
- A hotel or "alternative" maze - something exclusive for the resort guest.
Agreed on everything in this post.

I didn’t go this year for numerous reasons, but from what I heard (lol) The Invitation did have some promise but delivered a stinker overall. Could it be salvaged? The concept does look good. I don’t know enough about the indoor side of things - is your vision covered when inside?

This year was the first Scarefest I've been to for a while and have to say was left rather disappointed. I went to Fright Nights at Thorpe for the first time this season and while by no means is that a perfect event, the whole atmosphere around the park seemed much more fitting of a Halloween event and much more complete as an experience than Scarefest did. I think in part that is down to Towers being so large and so its more difficult to maintain a consistent presence of the event throughout the park, but I think the distinct lack of Scare Zones and roaming actors was very obvious.

The mazes are okay but from what I've read on here these have become quite stale over the past few years. Theres definitely some really good things about the Mazes and the team working on them is clearly talented, I just think the overall experience needs to be improved throughout the park, with more attention/budget given to things that aren't upcharge. This is Merlin however, so that could be wishful thinking.

I agree with most of the points already made- new mazes, more ents, bring back scare zones. And whilst I agree The Invitation didn't quite hit the mark, and the story didn't really make sense, I really did enjoy it (controversially), and found it scarier than any of the mazes, so I would like to see an audio attraction return with a better fleshed out storyline and bigger budget.

Apologies for the double post, but was just wondering if someone could give me a rundown (or link me to one) of The Terminal at Thorpe Fright Nights, as idk much about it and I'm interested how it compares to The Invitation. I had a quick scavenge on here and couldn't find anything

Apologies for the double post, but was just wondering if someone could give me a rundown (or link me to one) of The Terminal at Thorpe Fright Nights, as idk much about it and I'm interested how it compares to The Invitation. I had a quick scavenge on here and couldn't find anything
You are put into batching groups and put into a lift. The lights turn out and your host remains still, staring someone in the face. At the end of the lift the doors open you're led into your pod where you put on your headphones and your experience begins, in pitch darkness. The pod is UN themed and your guide, speaking to you through the headphones, tells you to remain seated and that if anything happens you will return to your body as if nothing had happened. After a wind effect to simulate cryo-sleep, an alien-pirate creature travels up and down the group (simulated in the headphones) sucking people's brains. The audio was rather disturbing, but in my opinion wasn't scary at all. After your brains are sucked out, your guide talks to you about something existentialist (though I can't remember what was exactly said), and then the experience ends.

I agree with most of the points already made- new mazes, more ents, bring back scare zones. And whilst I agree The Invitation didn't quite hit the mark, and the story didn't really make sense, I really did enjoy it (controversially), and found it scarier than any of the mazes, so I would like to see an audio attraction return with a better fleshed out storyline and bigger budget.
Interesting that you liked the Invitation.

Last edited:
I found it interesting and exciting as I'd never experienced anything like it, and it was something new which I liked since I've done the other mazes before. The technology was impressive, and the effect of it truly scared me, and I think the actual audio itself made total sense, but I will agree that the plot of the attraction as a whole did not make sense.

The Terminal sounds better than The Invitation from what you've said, as the plot of it seems to make more sense/easier to follow, and I wish I'd have gone to experience it since I really liked the use of the technology and from the backlash to both experiences this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't return.

I found it interesting and exciting as I'd never experienced anything like it, and it was something new which I liked since I've done the other mazes before. The technology was impressive, and the effect of it truly scared me, and I think the actual audio itself made total sense, but I will agree that the plot of the attraction as a whole did not make sense.

The Terminal sounds better than The Invitation from what you've said, as the plot of it seems to make more sense/easier to follow, and I wish I'd have gone to experience it since I really liked the use of the technology and from the backlash to both experiences this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't return.
If you like these experiences so much, perhaps you would want to go on one of Darkfield's travelling experiences? I know that they often tour in Canary Wharf in London, and their travelling experiences are apparently far better than the experiences at Thorpe and Towers.

Last edited: