• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest History

WickerwomanH

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Wicker Man
Apologies if there is already a thread like this, but I'm really interested to find out about all the different mazes and experiences at scarefest throughout the years. I've only ever attended 3, one approx 2011 when I was way too young for anything scary, but I do remember seeing the Skelvin characters in Duel. Then later around 2016 when I was too traumatised by the live actors in Sub Terra (I was 11 bear in mind) to go in even the scare zones. And then finally in 2019 when I worked up the courage to actually go in the mazes and actually loved them!

So I'd love to know more about how scarefest has changed over the years and hear peoples' opinions about it, or even just be pointed to some sources where I can find out more. Many thanks!

I’m not wishing to shut down the conversation because I am sure there is lots of memories to discuss, but as a starting point Towers St has a pretty good archive of previous events with timelines and maze info etc :)

https://towersstreet.com/history/event-archive/scarefest-archive/#timeline

Thanks so much! Wish I'd have noticed this beforehand haha :oops: But still I'd love to hear people's opinions on how the event has changed over the years and their favourite mazes and experiences :)

My memory is a bit poor.

I *think* I did one of the very early Terror of the Towers' - which entered near x-sector and was the only real scare attraction in the park. Possibly 2001/2002?

Then I remember Scarefest coming back, with Room13 in the ATH Emperor Room, based on a haunted hotel room, obviously. There was a mock up of a hotel room, you climbed through the wardrobe into the maze, a good kitchen scene with a chef cutting meat, it ended with a chase out into the dragon bar which was incredible to watch.

After that the mazes stayed at the hotel but moved to the space where the lodges are now.
Boiler House was very clever (after the first year when it had no real story) became a story about 2 serial killers, think dingy bathrooms, incredibly dark corridors, a huge squeeze tunnel etc.

Field of 1000 screams is the one I miss most. They actually grew a corn field for years.
Every year the story of Altonville grew. Characters who you met the year before would return, you'd see graves of others. The village had an outbreak turning people into zombies and they tried to hide and contain it.
Highlights: the queue, in the dark, exposed, hearing screams from inside the maze.
There was a barn, big metal structure and at one point you has to crouch in silence while zombies went past the windows banging on the metal walls.
One of the most incredible finales was when you escaped (the last year??) and a bus was waiting for you. You got on and, obviously didn't start, the driver got off and was then dragged away by zombies who got on the bus and eventually the back opened for you to escape. Incredibly well done.

Ill let others do more.

My memory is a bit poor.

I *think* I did one of the very early Terror of the Towers' - which entered near x-sector and was the only real scare attraction in the park. Possibly 2001/2002?

Then I remember Scarefest coming back, with Room13 in the ATH Emperor Room, based on a haunted hotel room, obviously. There was a mock up of a hotel room, you climbed through the wardrobe into the maze, a good kitchen scene with a chef cutting meat, it ended with a chase out into the dragon bar which was incredible to watch.

After that the mazes stayed at the hotel but moved to the space where the lodges are now.
Boiler House was very clever (after the first year when it had no real story) became a story about 2 serial killers, think dingy bathrooms, incredibly dark corridors, a huge squeeze tunnel etc.

Field of 1000 screams is the one I miss most. They actually grew a corn field for years.
Every year the story of Altonville grew. Characters who you met the year before would return, you'd see graves of others. The village had an outbreak turning people into zombies and they tried to hide and contain it.
Highlights: the queue, in the dark, exposed, hearing screams from inside the maze.
There was a barn, big metal structure and at one point you has to crouch in silence while zombies went past the windows banging on the metal walls.
One of the most incredible finales was when you escaped (the last year??) and a bus was waiting for you. You got on and, obviously didn't start, the driver got off and was then dragged away by zombies who got on the bus and eventually the back opened for you to escape. Incredibly well done.

Ill let others do more.

Room13 and Field of 1000 screams sound incredible! I'm sad I was never able to experience them. Field of 1000 screams by the sounds of it was much longer than the current mazes? That bus scene sounds very intense! From everything I've heard the scare rooms seem very immersive and crazy, are they fully gone now? Do we expect to see a return?

Thank you for the insight! I love scarefest and love to hear everyone's memories and favourite experiences :D

Field seemed to last a long time, but then again The Sanctuary also used to feel like it lasted a while.

I don't think scare rooms will return, I think people in other areas of the hotel could hear it and there were complaints.