• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Garden Restaurant: Boring Menu?

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
Although I will be dining at the SGR tomorrow evening (as I don't wish to dine in the loud/stressed atmosphere of Flambo's nor pay the prices at Emperor's), I am somewhat disappointed at the boring menu that seems to have taken over.

Last winter, there was an exciting menu which mixed traditional favourites with more unusual delicacies, such as Snails.

However, upon browsing the current menu, it reads like a typical mass-catering job:

Starters:
Flatbreads
Soup
Prawn Cocktail
Melon
Pate

Wow - such special starters they have...

Mains:
Burger
Chicken Breast
Rump Steak
Duck Leg
Fish & Chips
Vegetable Tart (Vegetarian)
Thai Curry (Vegetarian)
Superfood Salad (Vegetarian)

The desserts aren't too bad... but seriously. That menu couldn't be any blander! Aren't these people paid to come up with unique and interresting menu's? I am all for the "normal" stuff, but where's the special stuff, too? I do hope their specials board is interesting!

:(

That's a shame because at the end of last year Secret Garden seemed to be getting a better quality menu in place which wasn't badly priced. Hope they revert to a more varied menu soon.

What was this years summer menu like? I know the Spring Menu was fairly similar to this - but as the food was of good standard (and still presented in quirky ways with good sized portions) it didn't bother me too much.

It is of course possible that quirky and different things will be available on the specials menu - so as not to put off people when they read the main menu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrbrightside said:
What was this years summer menu like? I know the Spring Menu was fairly similar to this - but as the food was of good standard (and still presented in quirky ways with good sized portions) it didn't bother me too much.

It is of course possible that quirky and different things will be available on the specials menu - so as not to put off people when they read the main menu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the Summer menu!

Anyone remember the Snapping Surf and Turf they used to do? Steak with Crocodile Fritters!

Things like that added to the quirkiness of the hotel.

:(

Ah, I thought you were saying there was a new 'winter' menu :)

I agree! The menus we had over November-February were fabulous with a real variety of interesting dishes, and the presentation was awesome! It's a shame things have become a little blander (choice wise at least) recently, my Pumpkin Gnocchi was divine!

Thing is, 99% of joe public are going to like something on that menu. While I may expect to see snails or crocodile in a 4 or 5 star restaurant, im not sure id expect it in a theme park restaurant.....

GaryH said:
Thing is, 99% of joe public are going to like something on that menu. While I may expect to see snails or crocodile in a 4 or 5 star restaurant, im not sure id expect it in a theme park restaurant.....

But you wouldn't simply expect such a limited range? Wetherspoons have a more exciting menu for goodness sake!

AT aren't simply catering to mass-package food imberciles. It's meant to be a premium hotel resort!

I won't lie, I'm slightly crushed by the removal of the baked camembert. It used to be my starter every single time I ate at SG.

With reference to the rest of the menu, well...

You know that a menu is bland when, as a carnivore, you prefer the vegetarian options.

it is a very limited menu, as plain as it is the choice isnt ideal. Theres alot of vegetarian meals too, more proportionally than you tend to see.

Burgers are pretty easy, wheres a chicken burger, vegi burger. What about pies, a rabbit one would go down a storm but theres a few others addable. Curries are common fair these days and easy to cook, they could offer a couple of varieties and not just a vegi one.

But again these are common meals, surely if you chose to go to the nicer restaurant you expect a nicer meal?

Does this mean there will be no more olives at Secret Garden? Actually read the menu and realised they are still on there ;)

Also, I don't have an old copy of the menu to compare, but I'm pretty sure it never used to be a rump steak, was it?

I had snails for the first time in my life last time I eat there. :(

Was surprised to have a brand new culinary experience in a theme park of all places, I guess it was too good to last.

I thought Secret Garden was meant to be their premier dining restaurant? That menu is just, well, uninspiring. Prawn Cocktail as a starter? When did we go back to the 80's?!

I really do think they haven't for a clue, when all they offer is this and Flambos - which is essentially the same food but you get to serve yourself.

I can't help but think within the past few months the hotels have become a sore point for many enthusiasts, where up until recently it had been the flagship part of the entire resort.
It appears to me that losing the old resort manager has been a real kicker in all of this. Did he ever get replaced? They seem to need some direction at the moment.

This menu seems very dated. I know it's not presented in the most appetizing of ways here, but I'd like to see a wider range of food. Though being vegetarian the choice seems very bland.

Benedique said:
I won't lie, I'm slightly crushed by the removal of the baked camembert. It used to be my starter every single time I ate at SG.

With reference to the rest of the menu, well...

You know that a menu is bland when, as a carnivore, you prefer the vegetarian options.
Given that you introduced me to the joys of camembert only recently, I an gutted :(

It's a real shame because the Secret Garden Restaurant is gorgeous in terms of theming, although it could do with an update in places, and a visit would always be worthwhile if the food choice was unique to the offerings on park. Fair enough it's what most would recognise with no nasty surprises but the restaurant should at least keep the quirkiness consistent with decent prices and as a different experience to any hotels, just like the intention with the theme park.

I'll still eat there alongside Emperors but I do agree it should be far more exciting a line up!

oldgitben said:
Did he ever get replaced?

According to this article and this article, he was replaced by Janet Gurr, who worked at Alton Towers between 2004 and 2007. She has worked at Principal Hayley Hotels and Sheffield Untied FC since leaving Alton Towers.

Ian