• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Shrek's Adventure London

bluesonichd

TS Member
"Due to Shrek-tacular demand, we have temporarily paused bookings for the 10,000 Premium Passholder Green Tickets release for Shrek's Adventure! London in July. "

How can the system not cope with demand, why where they surprised by demand, they knew the exact amount of tickets they were selling.

If I miss out will be a very grumpy ogre :mad:

Don't annual pass holders get access in September anyway? I couldn't care less about this new midway, but if I was going I'll just hang on a couple of months.

Really don't understand this attraction, I'm sure it will be relatively entertaining as Merlins midways are usually pretty good (though often a bit carbon copy), the IP is really out of date.

Spotted some advertising for this on the Tube the other day. They're marketing it as "London's newest attraction".

Reactions: Sam
Wow, great marketing there, must have taken a lot of time and effort to think up that tag-line. It's also extemely future proof. Good job Merlin!

:)
Well, all marketing departments do have a budget... :p

I dont care what you say... :p
ShrekTour_zpssq5mxupt.png

I'll most certainly visit once access is free to passholders.

It's good to see Merlin taking on more classic/magic themes.

It's a strange outdated IP to take on although being in London I guess it will work well with tourism there.

Really don't understand this attraction, I'm sure it will be relatively entertaining as Merlins midways are usually pretty good (though often a bit carbon copy), the IP is really out of date.

It's a strange outdated IP to take on although being in London I guess it will work well with tourism there.
Thomas Land much? A whole new generation discovers the Shrek franchise on a constant basis.

Most of Disney's IPs are crazy outdated, but bizarrely, the attractions keep the IP current, it works in reverse - almost. It's hardly Beanoland all over again, is it? With Puss in Boots, the Shrek films grossed $3.5bn, not small change.

Also, last Summer Jeffrey Katzenberg was quoted as saying "I think you can be confident that we'll have another chapter in the Shrek series. We're not finished, and more importantly, neither is he."

Last edited:
Thomas is still extremely popular with young children, and besides, Thomas Land must be about 6 years old now, if not more.
You say that as if Shrek isn't it - it's more of a worldwide brand than Thomas ever was. Films like that aren't forgotten, a generation of parents who watched Shrek when they were 8 years old are now having their own kids and putting their kids in front of Shrek while they do the ironing. It's a massive brand.

Thomas has been a worldwide brand for a damn sight longer than Shrek has been... And certainly a bigger brand, given that it's also releasing films on a regular basis...

It's more a question, is Shrek as timeless as any of the old Disney films?

Reactions: Ted
Yeah personally I just don't see Shrek being something that will be timeless. It is/was a popular IP although it's strange to pick it up several years since the last film and since the large hype of the franchise withered away. I don't doubt people have forgotten about it or anything, although I doubt anyone would jump up and down for a Shrek attraction in London. In fact the general comments from enthusiasts on here and other forums shows that it's not an IP that makes us excited.

Like I said though, tourism in London will help this attraction more than anything. Shrek is a worldwide brand and tourists will bundle a visit to the attraction with their London trip(s). For the British public though I don't think it suits us.

Thomas Land much?

Are you seriously calling Thomas The Tank Engine outdated? It's been going for 70 years and it's the most popular pre school IP there is. I bet you Thomas Land will still be at Drayton in 15 years time attracting hoards of guests whilst this Shrek IP will barely be remembered.

You say that as if Shrek isn't it - it's more of a worldwide brand than Thomas ever was

No it isn't. Thomas is huge, it's extremely popular in Britain, America and Japan. I see kids with Thomas merchandise everywhere when I'm out. Shrek? None at all. I can't even remember the last time I saw something Shrek related in a shop.

Films like that aren't forgotten, a generation of parents who watched Shrek when they were 8 years old are now having their own kids and putting their kids in front of Shrek while they do the ironing. It's a massive brand.

The first film came out in 2001, but the series was never really that popular until the 2nd film came out in 2004. So if these parents who were 8 when this first came out are now no older than 22, but the films are definitely not something for younger children. Besides, if their children were 4 or 5 (or at least old enough to understand what Shrek is about) then that means their parents were about teenagers...besides, I don't know a single parent who has a young child that likes Shrek. But you know what they do like? Thomas The Tank Engine. Shrek's an IP that's deader than disco which was thanks to the 3rd and 4th film's failures. This attraction won't be as successful as you're making it out to be.