• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Silver Dollar City: General Discussion

Sam

TS Member
Some frankly jaw-dropping new photos:

file_697_IMG_1998.jpg

file_497_IMG_1999.jpg

file_377_IMG_2015.jpg

file_494_IMG_2076.jpg

file_631_IMG_2077.jpg

file_774_IMG_2078.jpg

Sam said:

I love how they've made a small hill after the lift. It might look weak, but imagine being sat at the back and watching all of the cars pass over it before you're then whipped forward and over the top of it! And then there's the matter of the drop. That thing looks STEEP! :D

There really ought to be more coasters like theses out there! Come on Merlin! Quit being a bunch of chickens and let Alton Towers or Thorpe Park have one! ;)

As great as it looks, and as CRAZY as that first drop looks, I still can't help but think it look a bit odd?

I have this odd frown that floats across my face whenever I see a hybrid... wood is wood, y'know?!

I don't know what it is, but those supports look very unsafe to me- almost as if they're about to fall apart. The steepness of the drop looks very strange on a wooden frame as well, but there looks to be a bit of air before it- which looks intriguing.

Definitely looks like a great coaster, and the construction has certainly started very early on.

Nick said:
I don't know what it is, but those supports look very unsafe to me- almost as if they're about to fall apart.
Well that may be because they haven't finished building it yet? :p

Take a look at what New Texas Giant's lift looks like:

5738812778_92e2e1a228.jpg

And then a different part of the ride:

64.jpg

The supports going over the top on the banked turns don't look like they actually need to be there as someone on TPR posted this image:

67.jpg

They wouldn't have been able to remove part of the girder for clearance issues if it was holding the ride up. And if anything, these types of coasters should be safer than ordinary wood and easier to maintain as the ride supports are reinforced with steel girders as well as just wood.

I'd say we need to let them finish more of it before slating it. Poor thing! :p

Ha, I wasn't intending on saying that those supports were a bad thing, I think they look fantastic. And wow, the headchopper's on the overbanked turns look great.

As interesting as it looks... I have to agree with sazzle...

The idea seems pretty ok,

woodies look gorgeous... These do not...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Screamscape said:
2013 - The Outlaw - Under Construction - (6/25/12) Silver Dollar City has launched a new teaser website for The Outlaw, though they do not give it away by name. If you visit SilverDollarCity2013.com you will find a countdown clock, which I believe is counting down to August 9th.
Meanwhile a few more construction pictures can be found over at Flickr, and a ton more posted to CoasterFriends.de. Scroll down to the bottom of the later page and you’ll see several pictures of not only what appears to be an extremely steep drop section, but also some very odd looking beams atop one section of structure. If you look at the way the steel cross beams are being laid out… doesn’t it almost look like this wooden coaster is setting up to send the train into a psycho zero-g-roll maneuver? That or the world’s most extreme over-banked turn on a wooden coaster. It may be best to jump to the bottom of the page and then just scroll back up to see what I’m talking about.

Here's a link to the CoasterFriends.de photos he's talking about. :)

Scroll through the photos, and you'll see what Lance means. It really does look like a zero-g roll, no doubt about it. That first drop is mental.

This looks like it could be incredible! Will certainly be following it closely :)

It has been confirmed to have an inversion, and yes by the looks of it there will be a zero-g roll! Ermahgerd!

I think this coaster will change the way parks and people think about woodies. :)

If this is successful then I can see Rocky Mountain becoming the B&M of the wooden coaster world.

I still stand by what I said after they did New Texas Giant; these are some of the ugliest coasters ever to have been designed! :p

It looks a bit insane, even so! I just wonder if it'll last, or wether it'll go the same way as Son of Beast in a few years. Hopefully this has been a bit better designed than that!

Even if they are done well, and are fun to ride, inversions on a woodie will still be a gimmick for the foreseeable future. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but a woodie's strength is airtime, and a steel coaster's strength is inversions, so if you want inversions, why not just make it out of steel?

(all this is irrelevant anyway because this is a steel coaster)

That's not an inversion, unless I'm completely missing something. It's just an exceptionally overbanked turn. You can see the pull out of the turn - it's banking less and less, rather than going over on itself. It will then bank to the other way and turn out of the picture.

If this ride is to have an inversion, it must be somewhere else in the layout.