• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags New England: General Discussion

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
So a topic for Six Flags New England, where things seem to be hotting up. Today they have announced that they will be retiring their 1983 wooden coaster, Cyclone, on 20th July.

image_7076.jpg

So, what does this mean? Is it a case of Rolling Thunder at Great Adventure where they simply removed the coaster. Or will it get the RMC treatment like Medusa at Six Flags Mexico, Iron Cyclone perhaps. Rumours seem to suggest the latter.

An interesting article regarding this can be read on SFNE Online. The park's communications manager has said that next year's attraction will "kock everyone's socks off" and the park president has said that the park will be getting two coasters in four years starting from 2015. RMC have been rumoured for a while. So it does all seem to add up.

My biggest concern is this, so many Six Flags parks are being rumoured to get some sort of RMC next year. New England, Magic Mountain and Great Adventure have all been mentioned. Based on the past couple of years I'd say we can definitely expect one Six Flags park to get an I-box converted wooden RMC and another park to get a new build topper track RMC. Maybe Magic Mountain won't actually get their RMC until 2016?

I think Six Flags day is set for 28th August this year (failing that it will be the 29th) so it should all be very interesting leading up to all of the announcements between now and then.

:)

Hmmm interesting I guess. I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed at the constant "Iron x" naming and RMC's involvement. I'd like to see a bit more innovation across Six Flags rather than installing RMC rides across their portfolio over such a short amount of time. I have no doubt the rides are great, but once one or two have been built/converted - where's the innovation?

RMC are continually working on new innovations for their coasters. They recently confirmed at the opening of Goliath that more steel coaster inspired inversions and a launch are in the development process.

I guess using RMC is a good way for Six Flags to keep adding new coasters to their parks. They are relatively cheap and Six Flags must be getting discounts for bulk purchases. Hopefully if their current investment strategy, which appears to be a very sensible one, proves successful we may see bigger investments in different coasters in the future. At the moment their main coaster partners appear to be RMC and Premier, with the B&M X Flight in 2012 being a one off.

Oh yeah I'm not denying RMC aren't innovative, but it's all feels a bit "samey" to me with recent additions. Who knows, maybe they will surprise us with something amazing. I'd just like to see a bit more done away from the hybrid steel/wooden stuff that RMC do. Personal preference I guess :)

Put me down on the "Cyclone is turning into a RMC list". For their second coaster, I'm thinking it will be a B&M wing rider.

The annoucement is due in under 2 weeks now but here is a teaser image that SFNE have released:

db_2014_0815_SFNETeaser11.jpg

Sorry to double post but Screamscape have pretty conclusive confirmation that Cyclone is getting the RMC treatment, not that we didn't know before:

db_2014_0817_SFNE_RMC-Truck1.jpg

Time for a bit of an update to Cyclones conversion here are some pictures from sfneonline.org

Work on adding the support's for the lift is underway.
cycloneupdate5.21.jpg

Track has arrived on site.
cycloneupdate5.3.jpg

Judging from the colour of the supports for the lift it would seem Cyclone will be going for a Grey/Dark blue colour scheme.
cycloneupdate5.4.jpg

As we know from the Six Flags General Discussion topic, Wicked Cyclone has been confirmed. TPR have just posted this virtual POV of the ride:

Looks brilliant! Some of those elements, twists and hills are stunning. Can't wait to see the finished product, RMC keep getting better and better it seems!

Brilliant indeed, the second half of the layout (after the first barrel roll) looks absolutely incredible.

Although RMCs generally look good, many I have felt have been over fapped about.

This however... looks like something else.

Rarely do I go wow.

Bloody hell, it just doesn't want to stop does it? Even though that's more than plenty in terms of a thrilling and relentless layout, it still seems like it wants to keep fighting and carry on even further.

That's brilliant. Certainly looks a lot better than the previous Cyclone.

The first inversion and outside banked hill look a little bit forced and contrived, but bloody hell, it looks incredible, possibly the best RMC yet in my opinion.

Think people are getting a bit overexcited, but it looks great.

You can definitely see RMC's layouts evolving, and taking influence from the flowing, free-form, low-to-the-ground style of GCI.

Standard hideous orange track though :/

Thank god for Twisted Colossus, if only for a change of colour!

I think I'm one of the only people who actually likes the RMC orange track!

Reactions: Dan
I liked it on Iron Rattler because it was edgy and industrial, but it's a bit like Merlin grey/black now, the other thing that puts me off is they're always like a matt primary colour, reminds me of poster paint colours.

I really am not a fan of it on the whole, it doesn't have an class IMO