Spinball Whizzer: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt N, 10th Jul 2021.

1. tayspru

tayspru TowersStreet Member

I don’t know if I’m in the minority but I really don’t find Spinball at all intrusive these days, especially the view from Towers Street, the trees have really grown in. If anything the lighting trusses on the lawns are far more obstructive.

Stevie, s_g_k, Matt N and 2 others like this.
  2. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Good news folks, single riders are finally allowed on Spinball again! :)

Matt N likes this.
  3. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

That actually surprises me

Skyscraper and Matt N like this.
  4. geo4chg

geo4chg TowersStreet Member

What sort of impact will this have on queue times? Obviously more people can now ride but presume this also means they are filling all seats now?

Matt N likes this.
  5. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yeah that surprises me too, especially considering that riders get squashed together :p

Yeah the queue will move quicker as the cars are being fully loaded. :)

Matt N likes this.
  6. geo4chg

geo4chg TowersStreet Member

Thanks, sounds good to me. My 7 year-old is now just over 1.2m and Spinball is the ride he most wants to try now he is tall enough so good if we can catch it middle of the day when it's queues tend to be shortest.

7. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Have to say I'm certainly looking forward to getting back on Spinball for the first time in nearly 2 years. Last rode it in September 2019 and haven't rode it during covid because of the single rider rule. Its not a bad little ride and certainly one for a quick queue mid afternoon

Matt N and Skyscraper like this.
  8. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Are we absolutely certain that single riders can ride this? It only takes a few tweets back from today to see socials telling people that single riders still can't ride.

Matt N likes this.
  9. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Someone I know went on their own on Saturday and rode Spinball as a single rider.

Matt N likes this.
  10. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

As far as I’m aware single riders have been permitted on Spinball for some time now. A couple of weeks ago we were seated next to a different group with no space on Oblivion so I don’t see why you couldn’t have someone behind you on Spinball.

11. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Just spoke to them and they confirmed that Spinball is definitely accepting single riders now. :)
    Congo River Rapids is the only ride not accepting single riders yet.

Matt N likes this.
  12. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Ok great! I just wish they'd get the message through to socials as whoever was on their twitter yesterday told someone they wouldnt be allowed on Spinball as a single rider

13. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

They would never allow a singer rider in a boat alone, and probably the reason why they're not allowed with other people is that there is potentially 5 or 6 others in the boat in one group, all facing inwards so with screams and shouts I guess it's deemed less safe. But I suspect it's more down to not wanting aggro and confrontations from guests when they say to the single rider "go and join that group in that boat". If the group kicks off, they'd have to stop the turntable to sort it out safely if the single rider and/or group wanted to get off.

14. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

There is 8 seats in the boat though, I can see why loading a single with a group is 5/6 could be an issue, but a group of 2-4 should always expect to have to share a boat, although with social distancing it wouldn't be possible really to share the boats at all. But if they are making people share rows on other rides now without masks then sharing rapids boats should be possible.

Skyscraper, Matt N and Steve74 like this.
  15. Steve74

Technically and logically yeah it's possible, but as I suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if its something to do with keeping guests happy and avoiding confrontations which in turn could cause the ride to stop each time because of the moving turntable

16. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

I have seen boats with single riders only in the past. Indeed I have ridden the rapids on my own as recently as July last season.

Matt N likes this.
  17. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

I can't imagine this is really an issue? People have been sharing boats for all of time, with cobid consideration surely ots just a case of the op asking if they mind sharing.

18. Steve74

Probably not, and pre-Covid no-one minded - afterall often sharing a boat like sharing a skyride gondola adds to the experience - but all you need is a couple of hyper-panicky people (who think they'll catch Covid just by sitting next to strangers) to kick off. IF this is one of the reasons, then I suspect it's more about shutting off the turntable all the time rather than any confrontations themselves.

19. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    On a random Spinball-related nerdy question; how did Maurer get its theoretical throughput to be as high as 950pph? With a throughput that high, you’d need the ride’s longest block section to be no longer than about 15 seconds long. However, I calculated that Spinball’s longest block (station to top of lift hill) is approximately 19.7 seconds long, so even if they’re running all cars and dispatching cars when the block in front is clear, the most it could attain is about 731pph.

What logic is Maurer using to make the theoretical throughput of Spinball 950pph? Am I missing something here, such as there being a block section before the lift hill or something?

20. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

I doubt Spinball gets through more than 500/600 per hour