• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Stealth vs Oblivion; which of the UK's one-trick coasters do you prefer?

Stealth or Oblivion?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I know it feels like I’m dominating the forum with polls somewhat at the moment, so I apologise for that, but I have another really intriguing comparison thread idea.

The UK has two coasters that are short rides, but pack a huge punch within the given duration. They are Stealth at Thorpe Park and Oblivion at Alton Towers. They're two quite different rides in terms of ride type (Stealth is a 2006 Intamin Accelerator Coaster, while Oblivion is a 1998 B&M Dive Coaster), but they are similar to each other in terms of their succinct, one-trick approach. So my question to you today is; which do you prefer?

This might be controversial, but my vote goes to Oblivion. Oblivion is a coaster that I never used to rate very highly, but it's one that's grown to become one of my favourite coasters in recent years. Yes it might be short, but man it packs a punch! That drop provides a phenomenal moment of sustained airtime, and then when you fall through the tunnel, that raw sense of speed is absolutely unrivalled! After that, you get a nice bonus pop of surprising airtime into the brakes! The ride is also lovely and smooth for a B&M of its age, with nice comfortable OTSRs, and it's a coaster that I feel like I could ride over and over and not get bored of, in spite of its length!

Stealth is an interesting one for me, because while I think that launch is a raw sensation that Oblivion can't quite match and the airtime over the top hat is excellent, I have a few nitpicks & caveats with it that mean it doesn't match Oblivion as an overall ride experience for me. Firstly; this is something I've only noticed on my recent rides, and it's something that no one else ever seems to pick up on, but from my experience, it's been getting a bit on the rough side lately. The entry and exit from the top hat have been rather jolty as of late; the entry in particular really jostled my head about and gave me a bit of a headache on my recent rides. This is a fairly recent development; in the past, I only ever noticed a slight rattle on the exit. Secondly, the harnesses aren't as nice as Oblivion's; while this is a very minor niggle, I do feel rather pinned into them by the end of the ride, which does make me feel a bit uncomfortable, although the very brief interval between hitting the brake run and getting off makes this one more OK. Finally, I don't think it's as consistent as Oblivion, although in fairness I think that's by virtue of it having longer trains. For me, Stealth has a definite "magic seat", and that's the front row. While I won't deny that front row Stealth is brilliant, the quality of ride in the front vastly outweighs the quality of ride in the other rows for me, to quite a surprising extent, so the fact that I can't guarantee being able to get the best out of Stealth every time does take away from it a bit for me. Oblivion is far more consistent; there's no real difference between seats, and you know you're getting the best out of Oblivion every time you ride it.

I feel like most will prefer Stealth, however; I'll be interested to see how much of a minority I'm in... what are your thoughts?

I actually don't know on this one.

I'd much rather ride Stealth right now, but that is in no small part down to having ridden Oblivion literally hundreds of times to date.

Oblivion is certainly a more consistent ride, it is always very enjoyable.

But Stealth front row is something else entirely.

Although a short ride, Oblivion definitely lives longer in the memory as an experience. The slow build up to the drop is brilliant for fear factor.

Even though I've been on Stealth a few times I can't really remember it with it being over so quickly. Then again I have always been blind drunk when riding it.

I prefer the drop on Oblivion but I love the launch on Stealth. Hmm they kind of cancel each other out in different ways.

Agree with @D4n though, I’d chose Stealth. Mainly because I’ve become so immune from Oblivion over the years.