• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Stopping on Resort

deЯp

TS Member
I've been meaning to write this post for quite some time as I feel that over the years certainly my attitude has changed to stopping on resort and I think the same goes for the majority of people on here, which is why I think a debate is needed on the matter.

Over the last 24 months I believe I have stopped on resort a total number of once and I feel there are many reasons for that. Firstly, cost. The Alton Towers Hotel and Splash Landings hotel have never been cheap and that is to be expected considering the location, the quality of the rooms paired with the atmosphere and ambience surrounding the 2 hotels. I personally don't mind shelling out extra to stop on resort as the breakfasts are always nice and it's really convenient. Both hotels offer a unique experience and carry on the park magic quite well... However the cost of the rooms in recent years have been far greater than what I can re-call. Back in 08/09 there were days when we would randomly enquire about how much a room would be that evening (if there were any available) and with annual pass discount it would be roughly £20 per person for for a 4 bedroomed room on the day. Even today booking well in advance during the season you are most likely be looking at least £150-£200 per room per night and even if there are rooms available that won't be filled otherwise prices don't tend to lower. Compare this to a stay at Europa Park's Bell Rock 4* Superior Hotel which was approx £40pppn (including swimming pool). Prices just don't seem to be as flexible these days and the only 2 times this year the prices have been good value that I have seen have been the £99 rooms and the Beach Party weekend. Why is this so? Surely it'd be better to have the rooms filled and bringing in some revenue than sitting there idle?

Secondly, entertainment. Although the entertainment team is good at Alton Towers there has been no change to the schedule in years. It's been the same thing over and over. Pirate Bill Show with 2 cabaret type singers and dancers shows for Alton Towers Hotel and some oversized stuck up Lemur for Splash Landings Hotel. Again is this really good varied entertainment for a world class theme park hotel? Most international attractions put a lot of investment for their night time entertainment, yet towers seem to get away with a bog-standard entertainment schedule which I feel is dated and not unique at all, especially when they are capable of so much more.

Thirdly, food. Whilst the Secret Garden is a very nice place to eat in terms of quality and service, the menu is very metropolitan and not to everyone's taste, I wouldn't recommend taking any children there as you'll struggle to find something they would like. Aside from that it is quite expensive for the amount of food you get, but hey it's a theme park hotel so again that is to be expected. The Emperor's Grill is meant to be open most days, yet on many occasions that i've tried to eat there i've always been fobbed off with either a double-table booking or there is no demand and they've transferred us to Secret Garden instead and not allowed us to eat from the Emperor's Grill menu. I've given up trying to eat there as i'm sure many members on here will tell you tales of how they've had issues with this restaurant. Finally Flambos, this is the most kid friendly of all the restaurants but at a price I can't see any reference to how much this costs on the official website now but I re-call a couple of years ago it being £16 per person with no drinks included. I would imagine that has since changed now drinks are included.

Fourthly, bars. The bars have really annoyed me over the years with stupid petty rules. One of which is you can't fill your quencher up in the Alton Towers Hotel bars it has to be done in Ma'Garritas in the Splash Landings Hotel. Also if you want to order pizza in Ma'Garritas before 10:30pm you HAVE to eat it in the dining area, yet any time after 10:30 and you can eat it in the main bar area. The cocktail selection is poor in both hotels and now at midnight they kick you out so they can clean up and go home, where as many times before when we've had drunken nights we've been servered deep into the night (sometimes up to 3am) and left to talk and finish our drinks way after last orders.

What has changed? So where is all this money going? In the years since the hotel(s) have been open what has actually been added to make me want to stop there? The Waterpark has had no improvements made to it since it has been opened, same with the extraordinary golf. The hotels have added some more themed suites and a giant deck chair in Splash Landings which is nice but still?! It feels very much to me they aim at a one stay only market and they can get away with fobbing you off to the Secret Garden restaurant instead of the Emperors Grill and charging you a fortune as you'll only stop there once and local or regular visitors aren't really taken into consideration. It certainly feels that way for me anyway, I love stopping on resort and I really enjoy every minute of it, but each time I find myself defaulting to the Weathervane or the local Travelodge for the reasons above and I know I'm not alone with these views. I just hope something changes in the future :(

Excellent post! Glad to see Im not the only one who simply cannot justify spending the amount of money on resort hotels.

I'd also dispute the 'quality of the rooms' which you mention, while the central areas of the hotels are lovely the rooms in both are just average.
I prefer to stay in ATH as its a nicer location, but the rooms are inconsistent some have bunk beds others have a single bed with a pull out mattress, if I'm spending £200 on a room I dont want my children to be sleeping on a mattress on the floor! Call me snobby if you must.
The bathrooms in ATH are ridiculously dated, Ive seen nicer presented and maintained public toilets.

Splash rooms are at least consistent but again nothing to write home about. Especially if you get a room on the 'bad side' of the hotel, that lovely view of a rock wall with moss and damp is ever so appealing to look out on.

Sadly people keep paying so they can keep justifying the prices, to some extent - but I certainly wont.

Ive stayed on site years and years ago (ATH) when I got the £99.00 deal for one night! Unfortunatley I was ill all night due to some bug and didn't get to have the "full" experience.
However I did love the garden, the lifts and the secret garden but even the prices for drinks are also so expensive!!
We always stay off site now, and stay at a B&B in close by!! We can have 3 nights there for the price of one night on resort!!
Its very expensive and i'm surprised anyone at the moment can afford to pay those prices, and the ticket entry and all the things on park for a couple of days without getting a mortgage! lol
It sounds like they are not maintaining the rooms and bathrooms very well so where is all that money going?
We would just never be able to afford a few days on park and stay there for a couple of nights, plus the petrol (4 hour drive).. the list goes on!
Its a shame because they are fabulous looking hotels especially as you drive up!

Sorry but I disagree, - £3.80 for a pint is not expensive, I went to a local pub the other day that charged £4.15 for a pint, so drinks in ATH or splash are actually, for a hotel, very reasonably priced. Have you seen the price of drinks in a Holiday Inn for example????

The hotel yes can be expensive but it can also be very good value for money, when you consider a £99 room, with 4 sharing, thats just £25 each and with breakfast, excellent value. You can get BOGOF vouchers for park entry making it very reasonable.

The rooms are maintained but granted a little dated now granted but are still very nice in general.

GaryH said:
Sorry but I disagree, - £3.80 for a pint is not expensive, I went to a local pub the other day that charged £4.15 for a pint, so drinks in ATH or splash are actually, for a hotel, very reasonably priced. Have you seen the price of drinks in a Holiday Inn for example????

Try £3.10 for a J2O, that's hardly value. ;)

Not all drinks are well priced at AT but a pint is about right.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'd expect to pay about £3.40 for a pint in a pub here in Bristol, so that seems about right to me for a Towers hotel :)

I belive that Alton towers could actually charge a lot more drinks upon the resort but they are mainly in line to most other pubs around so fair play also I think there are offers on such as four Budweiser for £10 and three bulmers for £10

They *could* but there's a reason they don't.

Expensive hotels are usually ripping off business customers. Families simply couldn't afford Holiday Inn style prices.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

While I agree that it's extortionately priced, most of the time when I go with hils, it's the best option. I like to be up for ERT ride whoring, whereas Hils prefers to lie in... often till lunch time. Staying on resort is the only way we can both have our way :p

I've stayed at ATH once the last year. :( It really does pain me actually. Both of those Hotels used to be my second home.

To be honest, I've not really looked at the prices - I've stopped going because my friends have stopped going because of the prices. I think this is exactly what Towers wanted though. ;) To stop us riff-raff going!!

I have always been up for paying more than the cheapest prices they do though. I have had some amazing nights in Margs and ATH. I'm lucky enough not to rely on the entertainment, my friends have always provided it (or I've provided it. Or I've egged them on to provide it. ;D). So what if the rooms are tiny and Splash's rooms are little... GAUDY. I have had great experiences there. :)

This is the point where I throw myself to the feet of the team and beg them to consider staying there every other meet again. :)

Part of the difficulty is Alton Towers' pay on booking policy. This doesn't help groups of younger people or friends trying to book. A deposit and debit/credit card for guaranteeing the balance would be better... but no, AT want your money and they want it now!

:(

Darling, that is pretty much what happens in the UK though. You have been spoilt by Europe. Where they have sensible people who generally don't book on a drunken whim then fail to turn up. :)

Kaycee said:
Darling, that is pretty much what happens in the UK though. You have been spoilt by Europe. Where they have sensible people who generally don't book on a drunken whim then fail to turn up. :)

But they have a credit or debit card which guarantees the cost. Not all hotels in the UK charge you on booking. All Accor Hotels, Holiday Inn Hotels etc. have it as an option to pay on booking or on arrival.