• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Submission downtime

BigDave

TS Member
According to the news update, Submission is currently closed for the foreseeable future. Im glad really has our last experience of Submission about a week a go wasn't a pleasant one (When is Submission ever pleasant?).

The ride wobbled in ways it really shouldn't and the ride seemed to stall mid cycle only to have to be reset by the operator before it would go again. A part of me actually wishes they would just rip it out and replace it with something better, but lets face it, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Hopefully they will get it working properly soon, but I still will be reluctant to ride it.

I am about to be called mad by many members on here but...

This makes me sad - I'm going next week and was looking forward to a ride on Submission! I only rode it for the first time this season and actually enjoyed it!

BigDave said:
You're female (I assume) so don't have the same problem us men have when riding.

Yep, definitely female! Now, Ripsaw you wouldn't get me on in a million years, my stomach does flips just watching that ride!

I do feel abit sorry for Submission, its so unloved by pretty much everyone including towers.

Personally I dont have an issue with it, if you leave the top restraint abit loose the restraints can be manageable to some degree and not leave you childless.
But the entire thing has looked rubbish since it went to one sided operation and it sounds like its falling to bits too, to hear its getting worse is a shame.

Id love to see it restored and both sides working, but it will never happen.

I don't mind Submission much, and so long as you don't have anything in your pockets like keys or pennies its not even painful. It would be nice to have both sits working, though. It wouldn't surprise me if the ride is refurbished in time for the opening of SW7.

I remember someone saying that the other side had been stripped of parts in order to repair the working side. And as Chance have now gone bust surely attempting to get both sides working again would be more expensive than just replacing it (due to having to to make parts to specification)?

There are many rumours to why both sides dont work, I'm sure the above is the most accurate. But it is odd that it was originally the front side was down for a couple of seasons then suddenly it switched.

Also just to add additional lol-age to Submission there is at least one program it runs where it cant actually park properly, Ive been on the ride when this happens, sadly the program was much more entertaining than normal but ended up with being sat there for 10 mins for techies to shove the car into position, naaaw.

I couldn't care less if Submission goes tbh - it's never been working properly, and you could probably get a more reliable flat in there. Plus I don't really rate the ride - I find it to be rather boring and uncomfortable.

I have never been on it, for two reasons 1. I don't like that type of ride. 2. the only time i was going to go on it clunked at times i thought it should not have, and this unnerved me.

May be it had it day, but would replace it if it goes ?

I've only been on Submission twice - with very different experiences. The first time was on my first visit to Alton Towers in 2003, and as a mere 11 year old, I do remember enjoying it. Whether this was because of my age or the condition of the ride that long ago I can't say, however I do recall it was the other side facing Oblivion's brake run that I went on with my father.

The second time was a few months ago and it couldn't have been more different. It felt like the most painful, boring, pointless flat ride I've had the displeasure to experience. Just when it felt like it may go somewhere, the ride finished and the blue metal bars raised. I certainly wouldn't take my Chances on it being around in a few years' time.

Its certainly an interesting ride, I really dont enjoy it and would quite happily never go on the ride again, its just painful.

Last time I went the back side was in bits and didnt look like it could be used any time soon, and the front side had a row closed and still made horrible noises.

Its a shame they cant have both sides working, so if one side is broke (like now) they can just open the other side up. I know last year they certainly used both arms at some point during the season. This year they have only been using the front arm.

When I went in June last year, they were using the back arm, whereas previously, I only ever recall them using the front one. There's something not right about this.

You'd be hard-pressed to get me on it any day! The sound is quite eerie, and the faces of some of the rides scares me!

I deliberately face away from it when queuing for Oblivion, looks like a torture device

b2311e said:
You'd be hard-pressed to get me on it any day! The sound is quite eerie, and the faces of some of the rides scares me!

I deliberately face away from it when queuing for Oblivion, looks like a torture device

Yeah I agree, the "Submission is ready for embarkation" announcements do make it sound quite bleak. It does have its educational value though in that I literally had never heard the word 'embarkation' before hearing the announcement.

Embarkation.. of an aircraft? :p.

I was rather disappointed to find Submission had returned to working order, to be honest :(! I secretly hoped that with its innards spewed everywhere, it might be the final goodbye, and we'd be in for a treat with a new and thrilling flat.

Shame.

*continues with bag duties when the rest of the TST meet rides*

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

oldgitben said:
I do feel abit sorry for Submission, its so unloved by pretty much everyone including towers.

I for one, dont feel sorry for an inanimate object which subjects my 'boys' to such torture! :)