• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Emerald Park (Formerly Tayto Park), Dublin: General Discussion

First and foremost, that POV is amazing, a totally relentless ride...I love it! Surely this will make woodies popular in the British Isles if it proves to be a big hit.

Make sure you're watching Merlin!;)

A log flume sounds a big risqué at the moment considering that Ireland doesn't have the best weather throughout the year. However a dark ride could be a great addition.
idk, look at our weather but Thorpe has Tidal Wave and inexplicably always has someone going on it!

Log flumes are always popular so it makes sense from their standpoint to encourage visitors by building one - it also has family appeal. Technically Ireland already has one in a travelling form at Tramore Amusement park, though that is on the south Co. Waterford coast.

Log flumes are always popular so it makes sense from their standpoint to encourage visitors by building one - it also has family appeal. Technically Ireland already has one in a travelling form at Tramore Amusement park, though that is on the south Co. Waterford coast.

To be fair, I meant it from a point of view where Tayto Park are new to the industry and they could probably add something else that would be doable in better weather. Although your point about them appealing to families makes sense from a business point of view to attract visitors. So I guess it wouldn't do them much harm :p

I struggle to think of any park I've been to that doesn't/didn't have a flume ride or something similar. People like to get wet even in crappy weather. Makes perfect sense for Tayto Park to build one if they want to be a serious theme park.

I struggle to think of any park I've been to that doesn't/didn't have a flume ride or something similar. People like to get wet even in crappy weather. Makes perfect sense for Tayto Park to build one if they want to be a serious theme park.
Disneyland Paris? Or does Pirates count?

Makes no sense that DLP have no water rides anyway. A definite weakness of the resort. One of many in my opinion.
Someone said somewhere that it's because of the climate in France, but it's warmer there than it is here, so that's just BS.

Someone said somewhere that it's because of the climate in France, but it's warmer there than it is here, so that's just BS.

No, I believe that is the reason. There are people on here that know better than me but Disney did not deem the year round climate suitable for a Splash Mountain.

:)

The busiest time at DLP is the Christmas and New Year period (as some of us discovered last year to our cost), so they don't want to build a major ride that no-one wants to go on in Winter.

No, I believe that is the reason. There are people on here that know better than me but Disney did not deem the year round climate suitable for a Splash Mountain.

:)

Yet Parc Asterix have numerous water rides.

I know that winters are cold in Paris but it seriously feels like something is lacking in the spring, summer and even autumn months.

At least you can get a bit moist on Pirates. Though to be fair, the only bit you will get damp on is if you're on front row because of the lift hill. :p

Yet Parc Asterix have numerous water rides.

I know that winters are cold in Paris but it seriously feels like something is lacking in the spring, summer and even autumn months.

and Parc Asterix is closed during the Winter the same as the UK parks. I can see why DLP didn't install a Splash Mountain, log flumes aren't great for year-round operation. Even in Florida Disney have a month-long maintenance in January/February for Splash Mountain.

Back on-topic, a reasonable flume wouldn't be a bad additon to Tayto, but if they made it more like Splash Mountain and focused on show scenes rather than just a cheap log drop (like West Midlands Safari Park and all the other small parks) it would be a much better attraction.

It's worth noting that Tokyo Disneyland has a Splash Mountain that regularly operates in sub-zero conditions, but then, they also have much warmer seasons and have money to spare. From a European's perspective, however, it does feel odd that DLP has no water rides whatsoever.

The technology must exist to make a flume that soaks you in summer but leaves you bone-dry in winter. It cannot be difficult.

Isn't that what Europa do with Poseidon by raising or lowering the water level?

The size of the splash is primarily created by the shape of the boat's bow. But as said, changing the water level is a simple way to vary the wetness. Obviously this can only be done in a controled pool, like Atlantica. So with a normal flume, I doubt this could be done, since the water level in the trough is hard to regulate compared to a splashdown pool. It's more suited to water coasters really.

If you're already wet from rain, why not go on, won't make a difference unless it soaks you on tidal wave scale ;) Tayto park are heading in the right direction!