The 716 Battle of Alton Towers

Discussion in 'Talbot Street' started by Thameslink Rail, 29th Oct 2021.

1. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I never thought I'd start a thread with a title like that
    So I was reading an old article earlier about Anglo-Saxon legends and it mentioned that a battle took place at Bunbury hillfort (within the Alton Towers site) between King Ceolred of Mercia and King Ina of Wessex in 716 AD, the battle was a draw and so many people were killed that the battle site became known as Slain Hollow.
    What a story and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it and Alton Towers haven't used it as inspiration for an attraction like they usually do with their history.
    Does anyone know anything about the battle?
    What could Alton Towers do to incorporate this into the park?
    Article:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-13105212

Ash, JAperson, Matt N and 1 other person like this.
    Posted 29th Oct 2021
  2. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    Pit queue jumpers and RAP abusers against each other on a Marble Arch hill-esque attraction in a fight to the death.

Poisson, Raza, MaxPower and 4 others like this.
    Posted 29th Oct 2021
  3. s_g_k

s_g_k TowersStreet Member

My wife who’s a bit of a history nut says that the battle actually took place in the valley which is now home to the gardens. This is Slain Hollow.

MaxPower and Thameslink Rail like this.
    Posted 29th Oct 2021
  4. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

At the time the Dungeons was announced I think this was mentioned on here as a good option for one of the scenes as they could incorporate local history. Sadly they just copy and pasted scenes from other Dungeons instead.

MaxPower and Thameslink Rail like this.
    Posted 29th Oct 2021
  5. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    This is what I found when I searched "battle" in the Dungeons thread
    This feels like a missed opportunity, there's a judge, torturer and plague doctor at every dungeon, none can boast a legendary 1300 year old battle!

rob666 likes this.
    Posted 29th Oct 2021
  6. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

That saved me typing owt.
    Nice one Mr Rail.

Posted 29th Oct 2021
  7. JAperson

JAperson TowersStreet Member

Very interesting it would be nice if Alton mentioned this part of the history alongside other bits it mentions around the park.

Posted 29th Oct 2021
  8. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    When I saw the thread title, I’ll admit that I got a bit worried and thought that some massive fight had broken out at Towers at 7:16 last night…

On the subject of the battle, though; interesting, and thanks for the info! And as some have already said, I’m surprised that the park didn’t use this within the Dungeons or within an alternative attraction a la Hex!

Thameslink Rail and JAperson like this.
    Posted 29th Oct 2021
  9. JAperson

JAperson TowersStreet Member

That's the best response ever @Matt N ! Bravo! Been laughing for the past five minutes.

Matt N and Thameslink Rail like this.
    Posted 29th Oct 2021
  10. Alton Towers Heritage

Alton Towers Heritage TowersStreet Member

The battle was in the valley beneath the Gardens, now known as Slain Hollow, (formerly Slade Dale in Old English) between Kine Ine (also known as Ina) and Ceolred of Mercia.

King Ine's army had attempted to besiege the hillfort atop Bunbury Hill (the hill where the Towers stand today) because of its strategic advantage atop of a tall hill. Ine's army encamped underneath a large, monolithic rock known now as King Ine's Rock (It can still be visited if you know where to look!), where his army would set their base.

[​IMG]

The following battle that would ensue in the valley was, as legend tells, extremely bloody and resulted in heavy loss of life. The sheer death toll of the battle gives the site its name. Remanents of the original hillfort can still be found on site. Reports of the outcome of the battle vary between sources, but the general consensus is that it either ended in a stalemate or a victory for Ceolred. Hope anyone found this interesting!

JAperson, rob666 and Matt N like this.
  11. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

The park treated it as a "family day" and it was soft drinks only in the bars.

Jonathan, Plastic Person and JAperson like this.