• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Flume

Maya

TS Member
Carry on the discussion...
New refurbishment? Scrapped altogether? Left until an accident?
I can't see if leaving anytime soon :(

Re: Future of the Flume

Scrap it entirely. Takes up far too much space and is a damn ugly sight. It may have history behind it, but as with Corkscrew, it is perhaps time to look forward to a fresh, new, innovative installation

Is tree felling on the Flume site as big of a no no as on the Thirteen site? I say replace it with a new water ride / flume. Bigger, better, updated technology and effects but carrying on the tradition of the original; a tribute to the sites predecessor.

Alton Towers wouldn't be Alton Towers without a flume style ride I feel.

I say get rid of it and replace it with something like Poseidon. Granted, the theming wouldn't come close to that of EP but I think that there would be enough space in the Flume area/perhaps extending a bit into the edge of GW to pull it off.

Replace it with a new Mack ride system, (up to date) they should theme it as a pirate water adventure (would look brill with Mutiny Bay.

Jake... said:
Replace it with a new Mack ride system, (up to date) they should theme it as a pirate water adventure (would look brill with Mutiny Bay.

I like this idea :)

I do agree that it does need some sort of revamp, but I agree with Prometheus that AT wouldn't be the same without some kind of flume in the park.

I'd suggest an Intamin Supersplash like 'Fuga Da Altantide' at Gardaland. They look big and impressive, offer a flume-like experience but they can get up to 1800 riders an hour!

Gardaland%20notte%20Fuga%20da%20Atlantide.jpg

IMG_1167.JPG

The problem with the Flume site is that the area is protected, so Alton Towers can do very little landscaping or remove many trees (if any?). You can see how Alton got away with the Flume by looking at the minimal supports and the fact that most of it is set above the ground, rather than running along the floor like most other flume rides do. I don't think Alton Towers are allowed to alter the lake very much at all.

the Flume site is a really tricky one, with it being so close to the gardens and part of the conservation area it really limits how much they can do there.

im sure some time ago someone said that if they replaced the flume it would have to follow the route of the existing ride. and as someone has said on here the lake at the bottom of the first drop cant be altered to much, and due to it not being an isolated body of water it cant be chlorinated which means its unlikely we will see anything with a large water splash

DaveW said:
the Flume site is a really tricky one, with it being so close to the gardens and part of the conservation area it really limits how much they can do there.

im sure some time ago someone said that if they replaced the flume it would have to follow the route of the existing ride. and as someone has said on here the lake at the bottom of the first drop cant be altered to much, and due to it not being an isolated body of water it cant be chlorinated which means its unlikely we will see anything with a large water splash

Yeah, but the late at the bottom of the drop was created for the flume, so if the ride was replaced they could easily upgrade it. Essentially the they would drain it then even it all out and put a water tight / concrete seal around it all. It would be like what would happen if the Flume was being built today - so it is possible.

Aly said:
DaveW said:

Yeah, but the late at the bottom of the drop was created for the flume, so if the ride was replaced they could easily upgrade it. Essentially the they would drain it then even it all out and put a water tight / concrete seal around it all. It would be like what would happen if the Flume was being built today - so it is possible.

I would hazard a guess that the cost of that would be incredible though!

Also they cant seal it completely as the water from the Katanga lake feeds into it doesn't it?

DaveW said:
Also they cant seal it completely as the water from the Katanga lake feeds into it doesn't it?

Nope, as far as I'm aware they are both seperate bodies of water, constructed when each ride was built. However even if one did feed into the other that could easily be stopped.

Although they way these rides are built are different now, the basic principle is the same. They require a holding area for water to be stored which is then pumped around the ride. They only difference is if it were to be built now then the lake would be water tight and have a water treatment area too.

Scrap it and replace with an updated Log Flume system! Similar to the current layout due to planning but new theme/indoor sections

Does anyone know why Alton haven't given much attention to the flume over the passed few years? It is pretty obvious that it is in need of a refurbishment or a new water ride entirely.

I guess they dont really want to spend money on it just yet as it is still popular, but i dont see why they just cant make it a tad bit more eye catching, or a nice refurbishment to make sure it doesnt get out of date.

???

The boats were refurbished over the closed season (or at least some were, when I rode it in March the boat I was in didn't seem refurbished).

It probably is at the end of its life now, so they'll probably nurse it through the next few years until the time comes to replace it.

I've found the flume a tricky subject because it still gets some major queues and it would be hard to replace the ride system due to landscaping personally I think it would be hard to replace but after some shock at towers over the years I would expect them to produce something special

If they are not allowed to alter the Flume's lake then there is not a chance we will see a decent water ride put into its place.

This is because legislation was passed here in the UK about 5 years ago that pretty much said that all new build water rides must use clean water if the guests get wet. So on rides like Splash Gallions this means using the system they use. But on Flume rides this would mean using a chlorinated system, which would mean modifying the lake quite extensivly.

If I am aloud to dream...

A Mack Launched "Terrain hugging" Megacoaster through the woods in it's place please!

It could use the underground tunnels featured on the flume for a dark ride section with water effects and pirate animatronics to match with the Mutiny Bay Theme! Plus it's launch will give it enough speed without worrying about going above the tree height. ;D

I like the flume so i am hoping nothing happens too soon. Were they not thinking of replacing it with SW7 last year? I remember reading about it on TT last year and hoping it was just a rumour. There was a poster right? If they were surely there was a reason for not doing so. Possibly a new ride will go there soon. I am thinking some rollercoaster Their best bet would be a new water ride. Just like the flume but different. Please!!!!!!!

queenofspeed said:
I like the flume so i am hoping nothing happens too soon. Were they not thinking of replacing it with SW7 last year? I remember reading about it on TT last year and hoping it was just a rumour. There was a poster right? If they were surely there was a reason for not doing so. Possibly a new ride will go there soon. I am thinking some rollercoaster Their best bet would be a new water ride. Just like the flume but different. Please!!!!!!!

I believe that the poster was merely a bit of fun by a park employee aimed at enthusiasts - most people thought that was the case when it was spotted.