• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Hotels: A Journey

Haven't stayed in the hotels for years now, owing largely to the reasons cited in this thread. But I have to say, as someone who eats both meat and veggie sausages, I'm quite keen to try the current batch just to see how bad they could possibly be...

I complained to Wayne Burton, head of customer experience (there used to be a card in the room with his email) back in 2018 about the Nescafe coffee machines at breakfast, much of the rest of it was at least OK. He responded that the machines were being replaced with bean-to-cup, which they were in the park as well for the 2019 season.
The pastries were at least baked from frozen back then, rather than the defrost and serve cold in Dan's picture above. But many other areas just weren't great even back in 2019, there wasn't really any fruit selection i think it was tinned grapefruit and something else. Jam portions were cheap Brakes own brand and that was it, no Nutella or anything, just cheap jam and cheap marmalade. The Premier Inn breakfast was far far better.

I think in general, the coffee machines are fine considering the number of people they’re serving. They’re certainly a massive improvement on the Nescafe ones.

The bottom line is that the kitchens are plenty big enough to be serving up pastries cooked from frozen, and for food to be served up with just the slightest bit of care. Greggs manage to serve plenty of people every single day with a couple of turbo ovens, and that’s on top of everything else they’re cooking too. The chefs at the resort, both in Flambo’s and SGR have shown they are fully capable of coming up with well presented dishes, that should absolutely follow up to how the breakfast buffet is displayed too.

Reading this thread has made me incredibly disappointed. I have always said that I'd love to stay in the Alton Towers Hotels as I felt it would be really magical and exciting. Clearly though as @Craig has said Merlin focused purely on quantity over quality and then charge ridiculous money for it. I think the park really need to focus on renewing the resort and making sure it has the facilities to cope with that amount of people staying.

Surely car parking is an issue on busy days too. With both day visitors and the people staying on resort they really are going to struggle if they ever get to similar levels to pre-smiler incident. Which I still believe, even with all the problems, Alton Towers will do then they really do need to sort the car park out. Do they really need these stargazing pods? Could they be removed in a few years and a small car park charge increase? Or maybe for electric car charging? I've always held the option that the stargazing pods where a waste of money and that no more significant accommodation needs to be built until the park itself can support it.

The bottom line is that the kitchens are plenty big enough to be serving up pastries cooked from frozen,

I assume they switched to the wrapped ones as they are seen as better for covid due to being wrapped, but they still have too much stock left in the freezer. BPB at Big Blue Hotel were serving freshly baked pastries that they wrapped into bags in-house in July due to Covid. Its just AT appear to have gone for the absolute cheapest option rather than trying to do something that reflects the price of the hotel.

But having found my complaint email from 2018, the breakfast quality was bad back then anyway.

Reading this thread has made me incredibly disappointed. I have always said that I'd love to stay in the Alton Towers Hotels as I felt it would be really magical and exciting. Clearly though as @Craig has said Merlin focused purely on quantity over quality and then charge ridiculous money for it. I think the park really need to focus on renewing the resort and making sure it has the facilities to cope with that amount of people staying.

Surely car parking is an issue on busy days too. With both day visitors and the people staying on resort they really are going to struggle if they ever get to similar levels to pre-smiler incident. Which I still believe, even with all the problems, Alton Towers will do then they really do need to sort the car park out. Do they really need these stargazing pods? Could they be removed in a few years and a small car park charge increase? Or maybe for electric car charging? I've always held the option that the stargazing pods where a waste of money and that no more significant accommodation needs to be built until the park itself can support it.

Car parking in general at present is fine. They still have the meadows to use when busy, and hopefully they’ll go ahead with the improvements they were looking to make on that area to use it on a permanent basis where necessary in future. Probably one to continue discussion in another topic on that front though!

Stargazing Pods, I’m not sure how well they do occupancy wise. But then, they were so cheap to install in comparison to things like the Enchanted Village cabins or a permanent hotel that I doubt they’re all that bothered. At the prices charged, they’ve likely already made back the cost of the investment, so I doubt they yet see a reason for them to replaced.

Ideally, I’d like to see a proper expansion of the Enchanted Village in that area, with a new bar and an extension to the Crooked Spoon put in. Whether there’s a willingness to do that, and whether planning permission would be granted thanks to the JCB testing site being in the vicinity is another matter though.

I assume they switched to the wrapped ones as they are seen as better for covid due to being wrapped, but they still have too much stock left in the freezer. BPB at Big Blue Hotel were serving freshly baked pastries that they wrapped into bags in-house in July due to Covid. Its just AT appear to have gone for the absolute cheapest option rather than trying to do something that reflects the price of the hotel.

But having found my complaint email from 2018, the breakfast quality was bad back then anyway.

I may be wrong, but I’m sure the pre wrapped stuff existed long before even Covid, so I think it was a decision for cost reasons over anything else. And yup, breakfast quality has already been bad for quite some time. I didn’t even bother going for breakfast on the first night of our stay due to the long queue to get in, and in all honesty wish I didn’t bother on the second night! Basic options with nothing like black pudding available which was the case before.

For a resort that’s set in the heart of the countryside, there is SO much opportunity for some proper locally sourced food. Display it right to guests to show its quality instead of piling it into the equivalent of cattle troughs and people are far less likely to go piling their plates high. People go away happier, and there’s far less wastage (and by god I bet there’s some ridiculous wastage at present) at the end of serving too.

I may be wrong, but I’m sure the pre wrapped stuff existed long before even Covid

They still had baked pastries in November 2019, they were the best part of breakfast as everything else was so bad.

Car parking in general at present is fine.

AT Hotel car parking is an issue, partly as they used ATH spaces for the treehouses I think, but it was always quite small anyway. Last trip we stayed ATH but had to park at the back of the Splash Landings car park. It's not a major problem but again, doesn't give the feeling of quality when you are having to hunt down a car park space.
I agree theme park car parking is fine though.

Ideally, I’d like to see a proper expansion of the Enchanted Village in that area, with a new bar and an extension to the Crooked Spoon put in.

Completely agree. I know they made the marquee "permanent" for the stargazing pods, but adding more accommodation with no additional restaurant capacity was madness.

Stargazing Pods, I’m not sure how well they do occupancy wise. But then, they were so cheap to install in comparison to things like the Enchanted Village cabins or a permanent hotel that I doubt they’re all that bothered. At the prices charged, they’ve likely already made back the cost of the investment, so I doubt they yet see a reason for them to replaced.
But I feel they could have put something better there and to be honest I'd rather they where parking spaces then pods and I just think even if they are making a profit that what @Craig has suggested here would probably be even more profitable in the long run:
deally, I’d like to see a proper expansion of the Enchanted Village in that area, with a new bar and an extension to the Crooked Spoon put in. Whether there’s a willingness to do that, and whether planning permission would be granted thanks to the JCB testing site being in the vicinity is another matter though.
This would make more sense and coherence across the resort as I'm still not sure if the stargazing pods are technically part of the enchanted village or not.

I just don't think they have been thinking about the long term effects of so many accommodation facilities. The park itself doesn't have the capacity it once had. If they really want to make it as a big theme park resort then they need to improve everything and probably need to remove some of the stargazing pods for better facilities. I just hope private Merlin do a big assessment on there new assets and decide how to move forward. There was suggestion when the buyout took place that there would be ad 18 month review before they decide on how to proceed. If this is the case we would start to see what they are going to do from next year onwards. The pandemic has obviously had an effect but if they can find the budget to improve the resort side of ATR then they should do so.

Who remembers the Aberdeen Angus burgers when ATH first opened?

The staff dressed as gardeners in the secret garden restaurant?

The special priority early ride time along woodland walk at the back of the hotels

The goody bags in the rooms with money off vouchers, sweets, and other stuff you only got if staying in the hotels

The full size cans of imperial leather foam burst you had in each room or even before that when ATH was premium there was Molton Brown toiletries!!

Exclusive access to the water park

Decent entertainment with the band when the atmosphere was buzzing and people got U.K. to dance. The atrium would be packed!

Both bars open in the hotel with table service

Freshly cooked breakfast brought to your table in Secret Garden

Food from around the world in Splash Landings with the amazing goat curry they used to do

The colour changing kettles in the rooms

The water guns working in the water park and later opening hours in to the evenings even outside

and finally… yes the spa was a bright airy place to relax - now it’s a dark dingy place closed in and devoid of light.

They still had baked pastries in November 2019, they were the best part of breakfast as everything else was so bad.

I wonder if that’s a difference between ATH and Splash when they started doing different levels of breakfast (or maybe I’m just confusing myself!)? Don’t get me started on that one either! Providing a lower level of breakfast in Splash because it’s a “cheaper” option was an absolutely ridiculous move as well. No matter whether Splash is a lower cost than ATH, the fact is they are all options which are considerably more expensive than the likes of a Premier Inn or local B&B. A breakfast should absolutely reflect that fact.

I wonder if that’s a difference between ATH and Splash when they started doing different levels of breakfast (or maybe I’m just confusing myself!)? Don’t get me started on that one either! Providing a lower level of breakfast in Splash because it’s a “cheaper” option was an absolutely ridiculous move as well. No matter whether Splash is a lower cost than ATH, the fact is they are all options which are considerably more expensive than the likes of a Premier Inn or local B&B. A breakfast should absolutely reflect that fact.

Ah yes that is probably it, I stayed in ATH, Splash was offering the "cheap" option.

But for the price of the Splash rooms they really should be offering a full breakfast. Premier Inn can do it for £8.99 a head on top of a room price of £20-£150 a night. So for £150 a night at Splash the breakfast should be at least the same level. I never understood why they thought that price was low enough to skimp on breakfast.

The Hotels: A deep-seated culture of mediocrity

You know, there are times when you front up in your life and deal with deep-seated issues, which have become part of the very fabric of your everyday existence. Whether it’s a bad habit over many years of too much slouching on a sofa, McDonald’s more than you really should or just a couple of glasses of wine every night after work. It’s only after these things have been going on for a while that you might start to think - you know what - this can’t go on and has to change.

Looking at the resort accommodation at Alton Towers - with exception to CBeebies Land Hotel of which I have no experience whatsoever - I feel now is the time for a root and branch overhaul of everything that they ostensibly are. And what they see as their goals for the future.

It’s no secret that the short break/hotel/hospitality market in the UK has been dramatically affected by the staycation boom and by the difficulties around recruitment caused by a multitude of issues - but in truth, many of the observations of the hotels have been slowly bubbling since before Covid-19 was even born. And, as the theme park starts to really look at itself as a ‘destination day out’ with a lively line-up of seasonal events making up for the stunted level of Capital Expenditure in new rides and attractions, the hotels seem to be struggling by - and even if there’s been some improvement since earlier this year in service, the actual picture of what they are doing is still down on the past and down on where it ought to be. To be blunt - this is a pretty harsh account of what it has become but nonetheless is meant with the absolute best of intentions.

Details big and small - the hotels have been systematically ‘downgraded’ at nearly every level over the past few years. Let’s dig in a little.

Breakfast is a prime example of where it’s all going horribly wrong. Forget the staffing situation, guests at Alton Towers are probably paying more for their B&B at Splash Landings (or other) than they have for any other hotel during the year. Therefore, to arrive at the breakfast venue at your allotted time to be met with a 20 minute queue, a restaurant full of tables that haven’t been cleared, a young member of staff on the entrance being subjected to abuse from Karens just isn’t what you want to see to get your ‘magical day’ off to the best start. Then, even when you do enter - the broken coffee machines, lack of available cups and glasses, messy serving areas, general sense of ‘get this sustenance down me as soon as is humanely possible and get me out of here’.... It’s hardly worthy of the £2-300 per room, per night that many guests are paying and certainly not worthy of the grand name of Alton Towers. Furthermore, the plastic wrapped croissants and pain au chocolats adds to the woe, wondering how Merlin’s corporate responsibility can possibly hit any sort of target when the wrappings are all wholly non-recyclable. The cardboard boxes strewn behind the buffet counter with the next 100 packed pastries not a good look as you ask exactly how fresh these products really are.

A pre-packed pastry straight out of the box on offer at Flambo's for breakfast - don't expect this packaging to recycle either!
242899394_1007352116708284_3387981337763657227_n.jpg

It would be fair to say that the quality of the food provided at breakfast has declined in recent years - probably in the name of ‘the group’ as they seek to lower costs by ordering from a common supplier, leaving Alton exposed to the very mediocre quality that gets shipped their way from wherever it comes. Sure, not all food and beverage at the hotel is poor. Secret Garden still offers some well crafted dishes at appropriate prices. Yet, somehow, in the past few years, the box-like Crooked Spoon restaurant has actually overtaken Secret Garden prices - with the steak there now several pounds dearer in what was originally designed as a Woodcutters+ restaurant. It certainly doesn’t have that premium feel unlike the original restaurant in Alton Towers Hotel.

The Secret Garden restaurant serves this dish - whilst small, this level of quality is more like it and suggests care at every level. Talent is out there, it's just caged far too often.
243200842_560873765149339_813313807881873809_n.jpg

Bar service has also taken a significant nose dive whilst prices have risen sharply in the past few years. Some beers are now well over £6 per pint and cocktails upwards of £9. All OK if the product served matches the price paid but, as has become commonplace now, they just aren’t. Ordering a Gin Bramble at Ma Garritas bar quickly became a blunder when I saw what was served. Crushed Ice? Blackberries? Mint sprigs? Forget it all. A complete lack of staff training and lack of a brand standard that one of the major chain hotels would have (such as Marriott/IHG/Hilton) because, well, it would seem Merlin just don’t have the expertise. You only have to look at how the staffing quality/training has downgraded down at Chessington since IHG left. OK - the beers themselves at the hotels are largely fine for what they are, and the wines are the wines (current shortages in wine selection is forgivable due to the nationwide delivery problems) but even then it’s usually all very safe and down the middle.

This Gin Bramble 'cocktail' looks more like a Ribena. No finesse. No care. No nothing. £9. See what Google Images thinks a Bramble should look like.
242835577_271380294946968_7207099918324295968_n.jpg

Another thorn in the side is the hours of operation. Steadily, over the past 5-10 years, we’ve seen bar service hours eroded significantly. Dragon Bar was always a casualty of its location too close to bedrooms, and therefore has always closed by 11.30pm but, with the room rates paid, bar staff always pointed the stragglers to Splash Landings, where drinks would flow until 1am or even later at times- serving right through until there were just a small handful of people left ensuring that everyone had the experience that they wanted. But not anymore. First it was 12.30am. Then a couple of years ago it was midnight. And now? Last orders called at 11pm with the bar still quite full and, as a consequence, a huge queue forming as guests clamoured for drinks before getting back to their bedrooms as the fun was curtailed. With the rates charge, Alton Towers should be offering a late bar on site without any question whatsoever. Even the ‘all night pizza menu’ which was quite literally that, was unavailable beyond 11.15pm this weekend as the chef had gone and the ovens were off. A real regression and not something you would get at an equivalent hotel in a town or city near you.

Call last orders at 11pm - and this is what you get - queue! These people weren't ready to go to bed.
242864381_292832405615396_1513760603951927885_n.jpg

And it’s not only that. The general tolerance and culture around the hotels now allows for problems to persist longer than they should. A cracked, broken, wobbly toilet seat in Splash Landings toilets? Check. Broken room fan? Check. Damp problems on the ground floor of Splash Landings? Check. Broken effects here and there? Check. The fountain outside Splash Landings needing a clean because it’s covered in muck? Check. With such a litany of matters arising, you’d half expect the staff to be miserable but, somehow, a beacon of hope is that you’ll never come across a rude member of staff. It’s not finding a smile that is the difficulty, it’s just the deep-rooted culture that sits beneath everything the hotels are and everything they do.

This cracked, broken, wobbly toilet seat should have been spotted by cleaners immediately, the cubicle closed while the problem rectified.
243149492_596013011764643_8134509254800976780_n.jpg

You may also be looking for evidence of blatant ‘making the experience worse’. Well, there’s a few. High quality Borders biscuits in the bedrooms? Sorry - they went a couple of years ago and now all you’ll get is the cheapest-on-the-market Coronet custard creams. Branded Splash Landings soaps and shower gels? Not any more. Seeing staff on their phones whilst on the job? Par for the course now. Live band for entertainment? No. Just replaced with basic singers who, whilst well intentioned by themselves, is hardly the quality you’d expect given the venue you’re at.

All of this stuff really comes down to the fact that the leadership hasn’t insisted on a level being met at hotels over a long, long time. Five years. Maybe even getting on for ten years now, Too often, even if some good experiences can be found here and there, standards are not met and, given the prices paid, the hotels are now more often than not, an experience that is inadequate for the behemoth that the resort is within the tourist industry in this country. These are resort theme park hotels. To compare with many other resorts would be an insult to those resorts yet prices at Alton are equal to or in many cases higher. This season more than ever. Without a root and branch re-assessment of the hotels performance, offering and raison d'être, the Alton Towers Hotel and Splash Landings hotel will just sink in to the background and probably sit at a mediocre level on review sites until the end of time. Getting away with it because ‘the kids like it’ isn’t enough to wash. The resort hotels should be consistently better but as it stands, your money is taken and the care for what you get at the end is simply missing.

Coronavirus hasn’t helped any of this, but it’s not an excuse they can rely on for long - and it certainly wasn’t an excuse before it happened. Serious questions should be asked by management at all levels - right up to the top. Because although some questions are no doubt asked, the answers simply aren't forthcoming.

The biggest insult I can throw at the hotels right now?

I don't stay there because it's magical or because the service is exceptional. I stay there because it's convenient.
Not posted on here in more than 5 years but this was enough to make me reset my password and chip in.

A well written,honest and considered critique showing how little the places has moved forward/invested in terms of quality in well over a decade.

(I’d expect no less)

You look at what’s happened on the continent in terms of additions park or resort side (Europa Park, Phantasialand, Efteling) and parks once reasonably comparative to Alton have kicked on to higher gate figures and far better offerings, whilst maintaining quality.

AT hasn’t greatly improved in over a decade, on a recent gardens visit over one of the lockdowns the place looked very tired, run down and lacking care and investment. And that was entrance and towers street…never mind the clear state the gardens were in.

This was perfectly exemplified by having a single person selling machined coffee from a hut with 30 people queuing, whilst management strolled around listening to complaints without a care in the world.

The mentality behind how that place is run and the lack of vision about what it could be has never changed. The only assumption I can now come to is these people don’t know what good quality is and haven’t been to a WDW or even Europa Park to compare experience. Perhaps the decision has been made there is no need to compete with these parks in that market now.

There is no reason that place can’t be a 4m, 365 attraction, with consideration for more dark rides, better events and improved transport and park wide investment.

But if you can’t get a breakfast right then what’s the point, the place is run with a Wetherspoons mentality of pile it high but sell it expensive, as though it’s part of the illusion. If I was away with work I’d refuse to stop there, especially for £150-200 a night. A recent visit to Thorpe is no better, if not worse as it lacks the pleasant parts of Alton.

The idea it can’t be done is equally farcical, the examples are out there and even within the UK you see the care, attention and bang for the their buck in Paulton Parks investments just shows what can be done even on a shoestring.

If this is Merlin “2nd to Disney” Ltd way of running perhaps their flagship park in the UK, then it seems the place needs new owners. It’s going to take investment but more importantly care, standards and knowledge to get the park to that next level but this lesson was needed 15 years ago.

To try to add some positives, the improved event offering and execution looks as though it’s been superb with Mardis Gra, Oktoberfest, Christmas and Scarefest and as stated previously the winter gardens visit being as good as I’ve seen in a long time, decent food, entertainment, good branding, extra theming, advertising, music, the stages, benches etc.

I’ve always thought an Alton music festival could work well (see Trentham Gardens or Jodrell Bank locally) or even a drive in cinema (Sandon Hall)

Whoever and whichever team has been instrumental in this needs moving over to the hotels/resort and given a budget and remit to make it better. Top to bottom. (Food, drinks, service, amenities, rooms, entertainment, experience, events, maintenance)

This years events should serve as the blueprint for years to come. The longer opening hours have also been good to see but making people aware of this, giving them good reasons to stay and spend money is a must. The “people say they just want burger and chips” is utter bollocks and something from 30 years ago.

Also the David Williams additions look steady, but more the principles that Merlin are doing more themselves in house with MMM and using local 3rd parties for ride systems (Garmendale) is great to see as it helps them get more value for money and hopefully this continues. As otherwise they end with expensive nothingness (see CATCF)

To coin a football phrase, Alton is absolutely the definition of mid table mediocrity and merely surviving on past glories. The sad part is, the trap door waits for nobody and relegation will come soon enough.

Also the David Williams additions look steady, but more the principles that Merlin are doing more themselves in house with MMM and using local 3rd parties for ride systems (Garmendale) is great to see as it helps them get more value for money and hopefully this continues. As otherwise they end with expensive nothingness (see CATCF)

A lot of the theming work has been "in-house" for years, before Merlin Magic Making it was Tussauds Studios, they still made a lot of stuff in-house. Doesn't always mean better value for money though.

The dive in quality of the accommodation has always been eclipsed but how low the park has become in this regard. But then it's taken the park a good 20 years to get to where it is, when you step back and think about the accommodation has declined in quality at an alarming rate!

I stay at least once per year, if not twice. 10 years ago, there wasn't really a poor food option. The cheapest being Flambos which, although the food wasn't top notch, I thought was great! Loads of options, all you can eat, bit of theater to it. Late night drinking, loads of people still around at 1am, I went to bed just before 3 one night. Beer was cheaper on park than it was in a pub in my local area. Loads of broken stuff in the Spa but much better than it is now. Grounds generally well kept. Rooms clean. Waterpark was still awesome. Golf was in better nick.

The accommodation quality decline has been more prominent the last 3 years. I think it was about 5 years ago they cheapened the breakfast significantly. Scarefest the year before, all was well with breakfast in Splash. I was staying at Chessington the following sunmer, took a bite out of a sausage and spat it out. The rest of the breakfast was pretty much how everyone else has reported so I resorted to sticking to the pastries, cereal and toast instead. I thought it was a Chessington thing, so went to Scarefest a couple of months later and it was the same crap being served. They started the pre packed pastry thing last year and they're just chewy with a bitter kind of taste to them. Horrible.

Splash seems to have had bright paint slapped everywhere at some point, as has the water park changing rooms. The Spa is now awful, it and the ATH garden now being completely ruined by CBBH. Flambos serves almost inedible crap in the evenings. Bars - all of them- close way too early. I've eaten a few times in Crooked Spoon and honestly the food is OK, but boy is it expensive. So is the booze now, was too cheap a few years back that it was under cutting pubs. Now it's gone the other way.

I only stay in EV now. I have to walk further but for standard rooms they offer the best and most modern option. That's until they go the way of the others as they age of course.

I don't stay there because it's magical or because the service is exceptional. I stay there because it's convenient.
Here inlies the problem and the reason many guests continue to to return regardless of declining standards.

I haven't stayed on site for over 15 years (When Rita was first built was the last time) and have had no desire to return to be honest given the exceptional service we get at the Chained Oak for a fraction of the cost.

Who remembers the Aberdeen Angus burgers when ATH first opened?

The staff dressed as gardeners in the secret garden restaurant?

The special priority early ride time along woodland walk at the back of the hotels

The goody bags in the rooms with money off vouchers, sweets, and other stuff you only got if staying in the hotels

The full size cans of imperial leather foam burst you had in each room or even before that when ATH was premium there was Molton Brown toiletries!!

Exclusive access to the water park

Decent entertainment with the band when the atmosphere was buzzing and people got U.K. to dance. The atrium would be packed!

Both bars open in the hotel with table service

Freshly cooked breakfast brought to your table in Secret Garden

Food from around the world in Splash Landings with the amazing goat curry they used to do

The colour changing kettles in the rooms

The water guns working in the water park and later opening hours in to the evenings even outside

and finally… yes the spa was a bright airy place to relax - now it’s a dark dingy place closed in and devoid of light.

I am glad you posted this list. It goes to show just how 'downgraded' the entire hotel resort experience has been over the last decade. The water park, due to no expansion, couldn't cope with the 2,000 guests that stay on resort on a busy night - so it stands to reason it's no longer included. That said, nothing is included as a perk at the hotels anymore whatsoever - don't forget ATH used to have the pool, which has since been subsumed into the spa.

I haven't stayed on resort for quite a while now, maybe 2 years or more. The prices charged are crazy for what you get. I have just stayed 2 nights at The Chained Oak for £180 which included breakfast cooked to order and plenty of freshly brewed Coffee/Tea as well as Apple & Orange Juice. The cheapest option on resort for the same 2 nights (Saturday and Sunday) was almost double the price and would of involved spending that in a shed with no private bathroom and the joys of getting a bacon roll in the morning.

I did spend time at the hotels after park close, and the 11pm bar close in Splash on a Saturday was crazy. I recall years ago being still sat there and being able to purchase a drink past 1AM, and even the times I wasn't actually staying over and not drinking as I had to drive home I would be there until gone midnight when others were stopping over. Now calling last orders at 22:45 on a Saturday. Come on, even Wetherspoons can manage 12/1AM. On Sunday bar close again was 11, (Think Dragons Bar may of been earlier than that as they were pulling the doors across at 22:20) and we were informed of last orders bang on 11 and about a minute later the shutters were down. Good job I had an almost full pint.

My last experience of breakfast wasn't overly positive so the fact that this has gone further down the pan is a concern. Whilst you are never going to get fine dining with a buffet breakfast, for the prices that are being asked I would expect much better.

Thing is though, the adults grin and bare it and grumble and pay up to keep the kids happy, and the kids some to love it, and they will eat pretty much anything no matter how vile. And in later years, when they are adults, they will bring their offspring, having had some 'amazing memories' and the whole cycle continues. And so does the cycle of constantly counting the pennies and diluting what should be a premium experience.

I don't plan to stay on resort any time soon and will continue to use off site B&Bs like The Chained Oak who offer a much better experience for less than 1/2 the cost of a shed in a field even if the trek back from the Hotels after a Pizza and some beer feels like I'm attempting to climb Everest or something :confused:.

I wonder if the kids and stuff are having a good time though? The breakfast is worse than it's ever been and my kids will only really eat the toast or the Weetabix it's so bad. Even I only really stomach a toasted bacon sandwich because the rest is vile. Apart from Cbeebies, there's light entertainment for kids in Splash. I suppose they'd get a kick as well from how the place is themed and the views over the waterpark etc. But other than that, are they having a good time or is it just too late, they've already paid and are there?

I wonder how much damage this is doing to the hotels long term? I've long said that most of Towers slow recovery from 2015 was self inflicted with bad experiences being offered from then onwards. With eye watering hotel prices and the room sheet full up, how many people have been put off by this experience and never come back on the accommodation side?

I've practically been banished to EV now due to bad experiences in Splash and ATH. I keep hearing about this Chained Oak B&B and I'm thinking of booking myself in this October and leaving the resort accommodation behind.

On the point about the water park being included, I understand the point on capacity, but the reason for the revocation can’t be linked to the increase in rooms. The benefit was pulled long before EV, CBeebies and Stargazing Pods were built. It more closely aligns with the opening of the water park to non-residents (although I don’t think they were directly linked?), which is clearly a revenue focused decision - more money from both hotel guests and the wider public.

I do find it intriguing that the water park has seen absolutely no expansion in nearly 20 years. It’s clearly not a priority for the Resort, but I do think the original product was of a very good quality and it’s a real shame that quality has not been built on.

Another point I find interesting is how there was a clear if somewhat clumsy attempt to link ATH and SLH, but the other sections of the resort now feel very much separate and detached. It’s a very clear example of the lack of ambition, planning and investment Merlin were willing to make in the newer additions. I’m not sure that is easily fixed.

I always stay at the chained oak now and have done the past few years. It’s 5 mins to entrance, the owners are lovely, great fresh locally sourced breakfast and lovely rooms. It’s about £100 a night ish depending on the room. We’re already booked in for next year!