• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Down Topic.

Adam

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
Like the "I Feel Happy" topic, thought I'd bring it onto TST.

Team Note:

Whilst we have this thread to allow you to get things off your chest or seek some wise words of encouragement or advice, it's important to realise when you may need a little more support from professional organisations.

This is particularly the case if you are experiencing thoughts of self harm or suicide. It's incredibly important that they're dealt with by organisations who are properly trained and experienced to provide the right advice. These organisations allow you to remain anonymous if you wish, and there's a wealth of contact options available such as text or web chat if you're not comfortable chatting over the phone.

The below organisations are also an amazing support channel who can help you through life's bump, no matter how big or small you feel the issue may be:

The Samaritans - This charity offers help and advice via email, web chat, phone (call 116123 free) or even face to face if you wish. They also have a self help app and guides that's worth working through too.

CALM - The Campaign Against Living Miserably offers a helpline and web chat between 5pm and midnight 365 days a year. There's loads of self help guides on the website, and a section where you can simply get your thoughts down on screen anonymously.

Shout 85258 - It can be difficult or uncomfortable for some to speak over the phone. Texting SHOUT to 85258, allows people to have a text conversation with someone anonymously. It's free from all networks and operates 24 hours a day.

Childline - If you're under 19, then Childline offers advice over the phone (call 0800 1111 free), via email or via web chat with a counsellor on their website. There's guides on coping methods via their Toolbox that's available too.

111 or your GP - If you're experiencing suicidal thoughts, an appointment can be made to discuss with your GP or a health professional. If you feel like you're in immediate danger, you can call 999 or go straight to A&E.

If you feel someone needs further support in the thread, please flag the post to the team who can advise the poster on better support channels. We may remove posts which mention self harm or suicide, but rest assured a team member will contact the poster to offer further advice and guidance if this is the case.

Of course, for all of the other bumps in the road, you'll find many people in this topic with open ears and some wise words to help.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The I feel down topic

Well, it wouldn't be right to have the "happy" topic without having sadness to restore balance.

I've recently hit quite a low. I graduated in 2006, and since then I have bounced my way between jobs without really having a y idea of what I want to do. I started in retail, as I moved from a part time job to full time. Then I found a job through an environmental recruitment agency that fell flat on its face and I quit after three weeks - they hadn't a clue what my job was meant to be, and I quit after something to do with a petrol station in Essex. Don't ask.

Following that, I tired me hand at teaching. I graduated in geology, and converted to physics so that I could teach secondary science. I held, and still do, a massive passion for physics and science, and was excited to be able to part this knowledge onto young scientists. I had a small breakdown during the PGCE and ended up quitting to maintain my sanity. Following this I worked at Towers for a season.

I thought I hit my lucky break in the career world when I left Towers to work for a well known bank. I moved in with Simon after a 2 year relationship, and moved back to live close to my friends from uni in 2009. However the job wasn't all that amazing, as I worked in a call centre collecting debt. After 18 months, the minimum time in a role, I moved into my current job as a Risk Assessor. I thought this would be the start of my career, and I had a good run in, gaining praise from my managers, working up my personal authority ladder, and stretching myself a little but.

However, I never felt I fitted in. My colleagues, who at first were friendly, ostracised me when I wasn't interested in talking about motorbikes, football, babies and how much they are bringing home to their wives. No one asked about my personal life outside of work, many people from other departments didn't speak to me or show an interest in who I was. The environment gradually grew more and more tense, with me witnessing homophobic remarks and other derogatory comments. The more I got to know the people, the more I realised who right wing everybody was, and how they were only interested in making money. At the same time, I received very little feedback from managers and generally kept myself to myself.

Today I had my mid-year review. On top of being given an awful decision sample and being told how disappointing it was that I hadn't improved and was getting 'unacceptable' marks on it - despite the fact that the feedback was in direct contradiction to my previous samples, and I had worked on it to make sure I addressed these issues, and despite me bringing up the fact that I made decisions with conflicting advise, and also despite the fact that this is 15 decisions out of 800 a month and are targeted to find the errors and not focus on the remaining 785 decisions that were good. I was also told that my manager, who had given my no feedback, had been getting aggregated that I was continually missing something out of reviews, and told my immediate manager to "address" this, where I was given no opportunity to address at the beginning and take measures to make sure I do include this... On top of all this I was told that I am being scored down for the mid-year results because I am quiet.

By quiet, they mean that I haven't made the effort to go out to other departments and make myself known. These same departments are the ones where when I started, they didn't come and say hello and ask my name. Half of them still don't know my name. The same departments who have made homophobic comments across the office.

Those of you who know me will know I am naturally quiet, and naturally shy. But contrary to what my manager believes, I am happy to build friendships and relationships with people once I get to know them. I do speak to a lot of people in the office, and initiate or continue small talk. But ever since I have been in the department, everyone who has come to ask questions has always had their favourite person to go to. My desk is positioned so that I can't see people coming down my row, and there have been occasions where people have started down my row, noticed that their favourite person isn't there, and have decided to go to the other side of the bank of desks. Apparently that has been noted as me not being approachable.

I would also stress that the atmosphere that I had to work in with my colleagues did make me retreat within myself, as a naturally shy person would, because I didn't feel that I could be myself, and I didn't feel welcome.

This is on top of many other pressures I have been facing, that some people may know about, but I'm not going to divulge here, and a general sense of not fitting in. The last two days I have felt under immense stress and unwell. I just burst into tears in the car for 20 minutes.

And to top it all, some miserable hanger-on continues to live in your spare room and just won't get the hint?

Aww mister *hugs*. At least you weren't on your own for the crying bit, that'd be worse. Love you.

Just said goodbye to my boyfriend for the summer as he's going back home tomorrow. Will barely get to see him for the next few months, and not for a few weeks from now. :(

Irish Chris said:
Ireland getting stuffed 4-0 by Spain! :'(

Unlucky mate! Truly outclassed though, hopefully you can grind out a result against Italy. The Irish fans were immense though, think there was probably more there than England fans at the France game ;D

Sam said:
Just said goodbye to my boyfriend for the summer as he's going back home tomorrow. Will barely get to see him for the next few months, and not for a few weeks from now. :(

*hug*

I live in Manchester, my bf in Birmingham. I'm about to move up to Newcastle.

Long distance sucks :(

adsyrah said:
Sam said:

*hug*

I live in Manchester, my bf in Birmingham. I'm about to move up to Newcastle.

Long distance sucks :(

Fortunately for me it'll be just during holidays. And it's an open relationship, so I'm not exactly sexually house-bound. :p

I miss him already though. Newcastle to Birmingham is a long way, do you drive or get the train?

Sam said:
Fortunately for me it'll be just during holidays. And it's an open relationship, so I'm not exactly sexually house-bound. :p

I miss him already though. Newcastle to Birmingham is a long way, do you drive or get the train?

At the moment I get the megabus from Manc to Brum. When I move to Newcastle it'll be the train.

It's not too bad, 2-2.5 hours each way is easily doable. Just not a perfect situation!

I've "severely" bumped my head at school from a noticeboard resting against the wall was being played with by swinging it up and down. I was unaware of this for the few seconds or so that they were doing this so I was just sat there casually eating cereal when bam. The noticeboard whacks me in the face, I've been "extremely lucky" not to of had brain damage. But my head is aching badly I have a headsplitting headache am feeling queasy and sickly as well as cuts and bruises.

Feeling rather low but lucky that I didn't bang it on the side of my head where I have less receptors.

Not feeling down as such, just rather annoyed and I feel like I'm taking it out on people who really don't deserve it (Such as several TSTers and this topic).

I have issues at home, which consequently often leaves me in a bad mood for school. Seems only a small handful are interested in making sure I'm feeling fine, yet none of these I'd consider as my 'closer' friends. Even as I type this I'm isolated from the group, which only ever happens when I'm not happy.

Makes me reconsider again if there's really any place for me anywhere.

Georgiaa said:
I feel like this right now so here we go this is why i'm down.

So my "Best freind" (Who I took to Alton Towers for his birthday) has decided not to invite me to his birthday party. He has invited 4 people 1 from another school a year ten he's freinds with and the two other people I used to hang-around with who hate me. Oh and I have over ten exams starting next Friday and ending next Thursday (and on that day I have 4). Lifes a pile of poo

Joseph said:
Georgiaa said:
I feel like this right now so here we go this is why i'm down.

So my "Best freind" (Who I took to Alton Towers for his birthday) has decided not to invite me to his birthday party. He has invited 4 people 1 from another school a year ten he's freinds with and the two other people I used to hang-around with who hate me. Oh and I have over ten exams starting next Friday and ending next Thursday (and on that day I have 4). Lifes a pile of poo

It is, I hope your situation improves. But did you also know that we had 101 Other Words to describe life in the TTF Tavern. I'd highly reccommend going to the Tavern to relieve stress.

Oh and Georgiaa, you certainly and always will fit in here so we're here for you when your feeling low. I'm sure it will improve and you can start anew in Year 10. I give my deepest sympathies and best of luck. You'll make friends (again) in no time as your epic personality shows!

I'm about to graduate, in a subject where it's going to be very hard for me to work (film/tv production) because I can't drive.

Not through choice mind, my eyesight isn't good enough. I can operate a camera no problem, but I just can't drive, and it seems that even in London, all entry level jobs, even in post production, want you to be able to drive :(

I'm really into photography, and I'm good at that too, but again, same issue.

I've got a freelance editing job starting in September, running til May, for around 5-8 hours work a week (from home) but that's only £50 a week, for 25 weeks, so after that, and during, I need another plan.

I dunno, I just feel disheartened by the whole media industry thing, and don't know what other jobs I'd be good at, and enjoy.