• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Kind of Still New Layout Geek League 2018/2019

Sammy

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Untamed - Walibi Holland
This years Leaderboard!

@Robert.W: 37 points
@Sammy: 29 points
@Brad97: 21 points
@Matt N: 8 points
@speedy: 5 points
@Rob: 3 points
@Mi-Nigle: 2 points
@Tuggerz: 1 points
@TPC: 0 points
@evilcod: -1 points
@Martin: -1 points
@Tim: -2 points
@Rick: -4 Points

As promised, it is that time of year once again. Last years all new Layout Geek League is back once again, with yet another shake up, it’s time to get your geek on! (Yes it's still Friday, I'm not late yet!)

Before we get started, let’s take a look at last year’s final leader board… I mean, it’s only 8 months late!

@Rob: 20
@Sammy : 14
@Brad97: 11
@Rick: 10
@Matt N: 7
@Tim: 5
@evilcod: 3
@Martin: 3
@TPC: 2

So as we all know, a congratulations is in order for our reigning king geek overlord Rob! I’ll get him a prize at some point…

Moving swiftly on, thankfully last year’s league under my new rule was generally a success… Wow, have I actually achieved something? So let’s get the show on the road, another year brings another new set of rules. Well, some of them anyway, I’ve not got that much time!

Rules:

Boring Stuff First

* UK coasters are still allowed -
But seriously… Please don’t just draw Icon and Wicker Man!

* Unique layouts only -
No clones or "off the shelf" models, this includes the originals of any cloned rides, ie. Blue Fire or Batman. Rides that have been demolished or are SBNO are allowed, as are rides under construction (provided accurate plans are available), though unbuilt concepts still remain a no-no.

* No drawing from memory -
Drawings should be traced from aerial photos or actual blueprints. They don't have to be perfect, but the proportions should be as accurate as reasonably possible with MS Paint. (Other, better graphics software is available for free). A scribble of what you think a ride does is not good enough.

* Please avoid drawing freehand -
Use the line tools to avoid that "scribble" look.

* Do not mark the station -
Just a plain black line showing a plan view of the track, no marking of lifthills, launches or brakes!

* Optional extras -
For added difficulty, you may rotate your layout (so up is not necessarily north). This is not compulsory, but it will help make it harder to guess if you think it might be an easy one. If you do rotate it, do not tell people about it. However importantly DO NOT flip, or mirror the image.

* Disqualified entries -
If an entry is disqualified for any reason (such as not being unique), then the player in the lead gets to post a new entry.

And now for our first new rule!

*No ‘Straight Line’ Coasters –

Yes that’s right, we’ve all been there and done it, thinking we’re hilarious drawing a straight line of some random coaster made by a crazy Italian! However, it’s not big and it’s not clever, it stalls the game… So let’s not!

And now for some even more new rule fun.

Scoring

Scoring was where last year’s major changes occurred, much of it shall remain the same however we have a couple of new rules regarding spam guessing and bonus points!

* Every correct guess with no clues shall now only earn you 3 Points.
(Correct guesses before clues previously earned 5 Points)

* Due to the lower score of 3 points per correct guess, fewer clues will be able to be given. Thus clues will now be set with more standard time scales. A first clue must now be given after three days of no correct guesses; a second clue must then be given following two further days of incorrect guesses. (This will also enable the game to keep moving on with fewer lull/stop periods.)

* If you guess correctly after clues have been given, you score one less point for each clue. (One clue = 2 points, Two clues = 1 points)

* If two more days pass following the second clue and still no one is able to guess the coaster, then the player who posted the layout has won. In previous years this has never happens, however fewer clues and a standard timescale for them, now means this situation is more likely to occur! Should this actually happen, the layout poster will score 5 points. Not only this, but they will also post the next layout, thus earning the chance to earn even more points!

*SPAM GUESSING –

As much as it can be hilarious it can also clutter and get confusing. Look, okay I have a simple mind and trying to work out scores with all my stupid rules is difficult enough as it is without you lot guessing incorrectly! Thus, a new rule; An incorrect guess is absolutely fine as is a second… I suppose. However, a third incorrect guess on the same coaster shall result in you being docked a point and banned from any further guessing in that round even if you have genuinely worked out what it is! If any player does go against their ban and guess the correct coaster, they shall have their points RESET TO 0. Yes that’s correct, zero, zilch, nul points.

*Quick Fire Guessing -
Any guesses within the first 24 hours of the layout being posted shall now earn 5 points! Get those fingers quick off the mark people.R

*Please Don't Repeat yourself -
And one final new rule, to try and increase the variety of the game. This idea came to me last year after somebody posted a layout that had being used the year before and I managed to bag myself some points. No, that doesn’t make me a cheat; it makes them foolish for not checking ;) So I now propose that we do not repeat coasters. Any member who does repeat a coaster shall also have their points reset to zero.

We shall start by not repeating last years coasters, though in subsequent years the list shall just be added onto. I’ll not be so harsh as to make you search, so please familiarize yourself with this list of coasters used last year!

1. Steeplechase, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
2. Lightning Rod, Dollywood
3. Road Runner Express, Six Flags Fiesta Texas
4. Battlestar Galactica: Human, Universal Studios Singapore
5. Casey Jr. - Le Petit Train Du Cirque, Disneyland Paris
6. DrageKongen, Djurs Sommerland
7. Raptor, Gardaland
8. Wicked, Lagoon
9. Excalibur, ValleyFair
10. Extreme Rusher, Happy Valley Chaoyang
11. Round & Round, Porto Europa
12. Iron Dragon, Cedar Point
13. Dragon, Legoland Florida
14. Fiorano GT Challenge, Ferrari World
15. Ultra Twister, Rusutsu Resort
16. Jozi Express, Gold Reef City
17. High Speed Roller Coaster, Suôí Tiên Park
18. Santa Monica West Coaster, Pacific Park
19. Montanha Russa, Aquashow Family Park
20. Timber, Walibi Rhône-Alpes
21. Super Train Water, Garden Salmaniya
22. Lightning Run, Kentucky Kingdom
23. Red Falcon, Hirakata Park
24. Orphan Rocker, Scenic World
25. Vogel Rok, Efteling
26. Slinky Dog Dash, Hollywood Studios
27. Gwazi Lion, Buch Gardens Tampa
28. Ravine Flyer II, Waldameer
29. 1066, Festyland
30. Rasender Roland, Hansa Park
31. Doble Loop at Salitre Magico
32. Cycle Coaster, Musashi-No Mura

Winning

The contest will close at midnight, the day before the first day of the Alton Towers' 2018 season (Date TBC). The member with the most points on that date wins.

Despite the addition of a handicap of sorts last year, it is still evident to see that some members have more time on their hands than others (Yes, I am looking at you Rob!) So once again players, please find below your starting points!

@TPC: 0 points
@evilcod: -1 points
@Martin: -1 points
@Tim: -2 points
@Matt N: -3 points
@Rick: -4 Points
@Brad97 -5 points
@Sammy: -6 points
@Rob: -7 points

So I think that's us all ready to roll once again, sorry if some of this doesn't make sense. I've had a long day, I've been working on Christmas since June and I'm trying to watch Masterchef! Feel free to ask any questions to clarify!

Here's last years game if your not sure on any drawing styles or what we are looking for!

2017/18 League

Anyway, with a nice easy one to start with! I now declare the LGL 2018 OPEN!!

cb589b1e08d0d7e315146db4585c38e1.jpg

Last edited:
I know this might sound stupid at first, but I thought Nickelodeon Streak at Blackpool Pleasure Beach looked similar from an aerial view; would it be that?

Are you sure you went to Blackpool in the summer Matt?!?!
I definitely did; I thought the turnaround and the long straight sections looked similar, but it definitely looks wrong, in hindsight!

Congratulations @Brad97! Can't wait to see what layout you give to us!

On a random note, are we only forbidden from using layouts from the 2017/18 league, or is it any league since the first one in 2013/14?

Congratulations @Brad97! Can't wait to see what layout you give to us!

On a random note, are we only forbidden from using layouts from the 2017/18 league, or is it any league since the first one in 2013/14?

For now it is just the 2017/18 league, so you’re more than welcome to use ones from years prior to that. Though be careful, it can be much easier for a player to work out if they think they recognise it from a previous year!

For now it is just the 2017/18 league, so you’re more than welcome to use ones from years prior to that. Though be careful, it can be much easier for a player to work out if they think they recognise it from a previous year!
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification @Sammy!

Would it be Formula Rossa at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, by any chance?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Steel Dolphin at Shanghai’s upcoming Polar Ocean Park?