• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The London 2012 Olympics - The Events

Squiggs

TS Team
Hi all,

As the Olympics themselves are now upon us, it seems like the right time to start a topic to discuss the games themselves. Whether that be the sporting events, the opening & closing ceremonies or the attached cultural Olympiad.

Please note we have a separate topic dedicated to the Politics behind the games, so please feel free to use that to discuss the political, ethical or financial debate around the games.

Here is a place to kick back and enjoy the event itself. Starting today with the the Olympic Football tournament...

Yay! A topic where I can enjoy the games ;)

Looking forward to it - quite amazing to think its actually here now!

And the Games begin! :D

(Unofficially, of course, as the ceremony is on Friday evening. :p)

Not even made it through the first day and we've already started cocking it up.

Although in fairness, there aren't much funnier ways to cock it up. :p

Well, it has to my Scotland to cock up first in it all! :-[

Now my homeland will be bombed soon by North Korea! Oh well, as long it takes out the SNP and Celtic fans I ain't bothered! :p

In the build up to the games, the Jamaican team have been based in Birmingham, and training at the University a few minutes walk from my office. Some of us went to watch them train a few days ago, and spotted Usain Bolt out on the track. Great way to build up the excitement levels in the run up to the games!

I'm also looking forward to the opening ceremony, something I've never really taken much interest in at past games. I haven't managed to stay entirely spoiler free, but what I've heard (from posts in the other thread) it sounds like it should be a fantastic show.

the female football was good. shame they are suffering from not being excepted as male football does. Its a sad sight to see half the seat empty.

The women's game was good - I enjoyed watching it. I'm at Wembley on Sunday for two of the men's matches (Senegal v Uruguay and GB v UAE), and I'll report back as to how many people are there.

Shame the womens don't get the coverage they deserve overall. They seem to play better overall with less support and non-ego-centered players so I don't see why they should have less support and coverage. For the mens, I wouldn't shy my money away from Brazil anyday. Ramsey and Chamberlain are the only driving force of young inspiration which gives me bleak hope overall. Expect a possible group stage scrape through but don't expect a medal as the other teams seem to gel better.

Still looking forward to it as always than the other events though.

Brazil to walk the football event, especially when you consider the only other decent teams in it are GB, Uruguay and Spain.

Am I the only person confused with why the likes of UAE and Belarus are even in the competition ahead of world class teams like Germany or Argentina?

Scored a free ticket to the men's football at Sports Direct Arena - sorry, St James' Park - tomorrow.

Come on Gabon!

Without giving away anything...

The opening ceremony is amazing, it truly is. Don't see how we could've done better. Mega, mega impressed... and that's having seen a rehearsal where the best bits were withheld.

Wow.

Islander, you are so lucky. Go on, give us a hint. You know how desparate we all are ;) It must be such a privilege to see it so early. I'm counting the hours down now. No amount of political hate can ruin this for me now. On a side note, am I the only one completely in love with the BBC theme written by Elbow? It's caled 'First Steps' and it really captures the magic.

I love the music too... Though prefer it without the vocals that they have on it for the actual programming... The advert version is better IMO.

As for the cock-up, yes it's a pretty poor error but these things happen at every Olympics and I think that it's going to be unfair for London 2012 here as any mistake is going to be laughed at and chastised cos 'it's British and has to go wrong' whereas when issues happen elsewhere they are largely ignored. We've had situations in past Olympics where the wrong national anthem has been played at a medal ceremony! :p

NastyPasty said:
On a side note, am I the only one completely in love with the BBC theme written by Elbow? It's caled 'First Steps' and it really captures the magic.
Not at all. It's brilliant! :D

If only they did the official song as well, instead of that noise we did get.

Not long til the opening ceremony tonight.

It's been a long, long time since I've been this excited about watching something on TV! The drip-drip news about the ceremony and how good it is are really ramping up the hype for me.

I think that this* sums up the whole feel. Beautiful score of music, beautiful animation. Very excited indeed.

*Better in HD.