• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Music Technology Thread!

Bear

TS Member
I do a bunch of things relating to music and its production, and it gets pretty lonely on here. Fellow engineers/composers/producers, speaketh now and you shall be heard!

What do you do, how long have you been doing it, any particular highlights? Examples of work would be nice, but please don't use this thread simply to promote yourself. (That would be a bit douchey)

Yay!! Nice one dude ;D

Music tech FTW!

All my tracks are private at the moment, I will upload some soon or put private links in here for others to view, should all do the same, don't think of it as self promotion - this is artwork, it is meant to be heard mate :)

Bring on the tunage!!

Here is a brilliant engineer, with loads of real world tips based on years of engineering experience:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M48cgFFekNU&[/youtube]

Enjoy :)

PS: Is that Lava lamp actually sat ON his NS10's??

I'm a radio producer/presenter and record a weekly show which is aired to an audience of 60,000 people. I've been doing this since I was 11 and in that time, i've interviewed a few famous faces such as Henry Winkler. If anyone's interested, (as i guess most of you are out of the broadcast area ;) ) you can listen online: www.103theeye.co.uk every sunday, 12-1. As well, i do lot of live PA for community and charity events/concerts in my area and have also assisted at performances at the Royal Albert Hall in Nottingham on a few occasions. I do a bit of djing and I'm currently training to be a sound engineer at a local recording studio and coincidentally i have my first real producing session tomorrow with a local band! ;D Not bad to say i'm only 15. ;)

Safe to say you're on the way to great things Jordan!

Real good to see you taking an interest and supporting the charity side of things, I have done much of this also myself. It's rewarding to know you are doing things to actively help your community.

Very impressed mate! Keep it up!

Just recorded this today, with an utterly laughably bad mic set up, but I'm pleased with it. This may end up being the final mix once I've recorded some vocals and possibly other bits.

http://snd.sc/Yc0FfW

Dude I will get round to this I have 3 deadlines to meet this week, starting tomorrow morning, so I'm keeping my head out of other work - thank goodness for TST keeping me sane whilst I'm sat at my desk day and night at the mo!!

I will listen to this soon I'm looking forward to hearing it, and from next week onwards I will start having things available to listen to as their need to be kept private is time based.

SHAMELESS PLUG lol!!

Entered a remix competition for Method Man! Worked my proverbials off on this track, been a toughie, if you feel like using Facebook to vote for me - that would be appreciated. Comp shuts 2nd Nov.

Warning Explicit Lyrics

http://contest.proaudiostar.com/the-man-with-the-iron-fists-contest/built-for-this-van-jelix-kung-fu-jungle-remix-method-man-freddie-gibbs-streetlife

Thanks guys :)

EDIT: just listened to your mix Bear, it's really good, I have some suggestions but not gonna bash your soundcloud with them, let me know if you're interested in hearing it :)

TheMan said:
EDIT: just listened to your mix Bear, it's really good, I have some suggestions but not gonna bash your soundcloud with them, let me know if you're interested in hearing it :)

I'd love to hear it, I want nothing more than to be able to further my skills based on feedback :)

You can PM me if you want, or discuss it in here it is totally up to you my friend, it's not much really and you were clearly not using the best kit (from what I read).

Makes it hard to give a complete assessment in that respect, as I don't know if my suggestions are simply things that are a result of the compromised mic situation dude :)

TheMan said:
You can PM me if you want, or discuss it in here it is totally up to you my friend, it's not much really and you were clearly not using the best kit (from what I read).

Makes it hard to give a complete assessment in that respect, as I don't know if my suggestions are simply things that are a result of the compromised mic situation dude :)

Fire away, I'd like to hear it! Part of the overall sound is definitely down to the mic setup I have, but part is because I like the dark and loud kind of sound like you'd get on Dinosaur Jr's "Farm" album. I've been experimenting with new plugins on this track too that I maybe haven't quite got a feel for yet! :p

I wrote a bit and accidentally moved the page - so starting again lol!

Compression: I have checked the waveform, and listened in, I don't know if you were using individual mics or not for separate tracks, or just amp mics and overheads for the drums. Either way I think the compression is too strong. It's very warm production, I like it, but I would say there is not enough dynamic range that you can use to create more of a sound stage in live recordings. There is a wall of sound, that is a bit distant, 2D rather than 3D if you get me. A wall, rather than a room of sound. Also if you have separate instrument channels, consider using the "Counterpoint" technique. That is, using sounds that you can balance out in moderate/full panning. This increases the range and efficiency of the speakers, by not overloading both channels. You can even use a hi-hat full L and guitar full R, so long as they keep a similar time and range within the mix!

Use the "Haas" effect also, clone an instrument track that's important - switch them to mono (or if you have recorded in mono, this is a brilliant way to attain a stereo depth effect!), then on the track itself alter the track delay time for each as so:

Track 1 Mono: Delay -3.00ms - Pan Full L
Track 2 Mono: Delay +7.00ms - Pan Full R

This sets a difference of 10ms between Track 1, and Track 2 playing, which results in a psycho-acoustic affect, because each ear hears it at slightly differing times, our brain is tricked into thinking it is coming from two separate places, and we hear a "stereo" effect - that is different to normal stereo!

Play around with the delay settings, that's quite an extreme example. Shorten and lengthen it, you can get from very interesting effects from this simple technique, and create space in the mix and free the centre up for more bass dense effects.

DRUMS:
Mics, or mixing? I don't know. They are too weak though, the kick is a clicky sound and they give the impression of being distant in the mix. If you can pan out the guitars a little, and balance using the other techniques, and let a little more close ambiance shine through on those drums that would help the mix greatly.

I haven't had chance to listen loud and check out the bass as of yet, these are just what I remember from listening and consideration at the time.

Essentially let the mix breathe a bit more :)

For anyone watching this convo though, I must add Bears mix is good! These are things I as a producer feel, and are not necessarily right - as much is preference of bands/engineers as to their mixing priorities.

Thanks very much for your feedback TheMan, for the sake of continuity of this thread I'll just mention that we did talk about this at length via PM :p I'll see if I can do another mix of the same track based on what you said!

I have just listened to another track, somewhere else, with an example of how NOT to use the Haas effect lol!!

Remember other reading producers: Do not let the tinkering and effects become more important than the feeling and music you are trying to convey!

And yep that was a great discussion Bear :)